Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
The belief that a company should be forced to offer something to an employee is telling them how to run their business. If you agree with this practice then you are agreeing with telling someone how to run their business. If not, then why did you even address me since I was talking to someone who actually holds this view?
The government forcing a business to offer workers something they may not want to is both common and accepted here. Overtime pay, minimum wages, work breaks, medical leave, workers compensation insurance, unemployment insurance, tons of OSHA regulations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
The belief that a company should be forced to offer something to an employee is telling them how to run their business. If you agree with this practice then you are agreeing with telling someone how to run their business. If not, then why did you even address me since I was talking to someone who actually holds this view?

Exactly. There's no "compelling government interest" in requiring employers to pay for every method of birth control and abortifacients. People who're salivating at the prospect of the gub-ment exercising more and more control over our lives might want to read the ruling.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Exactly. There's no "compelling government interest" in requiring employers to pay for every method of birth control and abortifacients. People who're salivating at the prospect of the gub-ment exercising more and more control over our lives might want to read the ruling.
I'm gonna say it again, the morning after pill & IUD are NOT abortifacients. Why can't you people get that thru your heads? I'll say it 10 more times if it'll finally stick. Facts people, facts.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So should all private, for profit employers have to disclose their religion now? Hey, boss, what is YOUR religion? Do you also have a right to even ASK THAT?

Second, Plan B is not the same as RU-485? RU-485 is NOT available OTC. It STILL requires a script by a doctor. "Morning After" is just a mega dosage of what is contained in plain birth control pills. If a woman is taking "the Pill" and forgets one or two, what does she do the DAY AFTER? RUN out and get RU-485? lol She takes 2 or 3 pills in one day of her REGULAR BC pill. Oh, Hobby Lobby, how can you KNOW THAT? The "so called" Morning After Pill.

As a former Catholic, I would NEVER work for a Catholic school, but how would I know what the religion of something like Sunny Days Kindergarten is, unless they DISCLOSE that their CEO is a faithful Christian?

My feeling, apart from the obvious, is that a whole lot of female employees are going to get blindsighted when their bosses disclose their religion

I doubt seriously that you'd have to ask a prospective employer ( or even a current employer) about his/her/their religious beliefs. The question to ask is the details of coverage in the health insurance policy(ies) they offer their employees. If you find that coverage does not include birth control with no out of pocket expenses to the covered employee, you might infer that this exclusion is due to their religious beliefs, but that's up to you. What you will have to consider is that you'll have to pay for, at least in part, but maybe entirely depending on the details of the coverage, your own birth control.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
The government forcing a business to offer workers something they may not want to is both common and accepted here. Overtime pay, minimum wages, work breaks, medical leave, workers compensation insurance, unemployment insurance, tons of OSHA regulations, etc.
And those are directly workplace-related issues. Health care, and specifically birth control coverage at no cost to the employee are NOT.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm gonna say it again, the morning after pill & IUD are NOT abortifacients. Why can't you people get that thru your heads? I'll say it 10 more times if it'll finally stick. Facts people,
facts.

The fact is that any drug (or device) which keeps a fertilized egg from implanting is an abortifacient. Even the Catholic church has denounced them for that reason (despite the fact that they don't plan to cover even contraceptives). Hobby Lobby chose to cover plenty of true contraceptives, BTW.

Because the FDA refuses to classify something as an abortifacient, doesn't mean that it isn't one.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
SCOTUS ruled today to allow corporations that are comprised of 5 or less owners that hold more than 50% ownership a right to impose their religious values on their employee's.

Justices: Can't make employers cover contraception
No one is imposing religious beliefs on anyone. Birth control is still available to women who want it, they just have to pay for it. Like I do my own meds....

Old 07-02-2014, 11:39 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Religion should not be allowed in the work place!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
No one is imposing religious beliefs on anyone. Birth control is still available to women who want it, they just have to pay for it. Like I do my own meds....
Incorrect, and this ruling has opened a flood gate that will allow religion to impose its values upon others. That is a fact.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:48 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
[quote=PJA;35482200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

They have other pills that work for this.

And technically yes a woman should have to pay for her own delivery and labor (or her husband), either that or not get pregnant in the first place. This is why we have insurance to pay for things we can't pay out of pocket for. And this is why we should shop around and find the best insurance that fits our needs. If the one our employer offers doesn't work then we should shop around...like we do for everything else.

The bottom line is, the government should take over the whole thing and run it as they see fit instead of trying to force companies into offering benefits/services they don't want to offer.
Single payer? If that covers contraceptives, or anything else (blood tranfusions?) that religious citizens consider immoral, can they refuse to pay their taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events