Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,023,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Food is not taxed here in Florida only in the liberal tax greedy Democrat governed states. I am speaking of Federal Income Tax. Everyone pays sales tax on consumer goods. Since she has a limited income just as most seniors do, her consumption of consumer goods would certainly be a lot smaller than a family earning $100K a year so that would balance that out. She probably don't drive around a whole lot and waste her gas either as could a family earning more. That should balance out as well.

You see, the excuse you give holds no validity. I have had no children in school for nearly 20 years now and I continue to pay property taxes which includes school taxes as well as a tax for the sheriff's department and for the fire department. Again a portion of my Federal Income tax goes to support the schools, the sheriff department often gets federal equipment and probably some money. I'm simply saying everyone who benefits should pay something.

I NEVER had children in school and I also have never had to avail myself of the services of the police or sheriff's or fire departments....but have dutifully paid my property taxes because that is a cost of living in a civilized society...... I DID have to call an ambulance once, but that 10 minute ride ended up costing me $500....

I thought we were talking about a single mom with a couple of kids who gets the Earned Income Tax Credit..... did we suddenly switch to a senior when i wasn't looking??

If she doesn't drive around much, then she doesn't use the roads much, either.... right??

so, in my mind, she is paying her share.....

I don't think Missouri can be considered liberal anymore, but food is taxed here, albeit at a much lower rate than other consumer goods....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:38 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Claiming all who make a lot of money do so by luck of their circumstances is incredible. We need success and hard work and taxing more of it means we have less than we do now which isn't enough.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:53 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Claiming all who make a lot of money do so by luck of their circumstances is incredible. We need success and hard work and taxing more of it means we have less than we do now which isn't enough.
That's the liberal mantra alright. They want YOUR money Johnny. I'm with you on this. You worked for your money - they didn't.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Republicans making sure their rich friends don't get audited!

Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Sigh. Again. My home state of Minnesota, a pretty liberal state, doesn't tax grocery staples. As in bread, milk, etc. They also don't tax clothes. It's for a good reason, consumption taxes on stuff like groceries and clothes disproportionately affect poorer people. I'm in favor of taxing luxury goods though, like expensive clothing at the Mall of America or prime rib at restaurants, would get taxed more than chicken at the grocery store would. You lose more credibility when you say Democrats are tax greedy.. Democrats support increased government spending with increased taxes to pay for it. So really, liberals just want more taxes to be paid back into the community. If anyone is greedy, it's the wealthy Republicans like the Kochs who want to keep more of their "hard-earned" family fortunes.

Okay, you pay taxes for the schools, and emergency services. Under your proposal, are we going to charge people case-by-case for emergency services like police stopping a break-in? Should 911 cost as much as an international call, then only people who need those services have to pay for it?
Why shouldn't the Kochs be able to keep more of their money? It's not MY money. I don't want a dime of their money. No, I say a downtown business should pay more which in many cases they do. Everyone in my county pays a set fee which is included in their property taxes for fire protection. I'm speaking here of residential property taxes and not business taxes. That is the difference though. Republicans want a smaller government with a robust economy that promotes job growth that ENABLES citizens to get off entitlement programs and unemployment and rise to the middle income levels through self reliance and personal responsibility. The Democrat model is not working at all. More people have slipped down the economic rung of the latter under Democrat policy. That is a proven statistic.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
How are the IRS going to audit? All their computer hard drives have crashed.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:07 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm certainly not marveling at how people live so well; I live in Manhattan, work for Big Finance and my boss certainly is prone to conspicuous consumption. I'm just saying that in excess it's not fair to people who weren't lucky enough to be born into good circumstances. Read Outliers, by Malcom Gladwell, it's a great book about why some people are just born into a position to succeed.
That's your problem. You think people get rich because they are born into it. Yes, there are Paris Hiltons of the world but what are you going to do about it? Paris Hilton by virtue of her existence has never stopped me, or could she, from achieving. You can tax her into poverty and I won't see a cent of it. You must be the type who drives around the neighborhood with your kids pointing to mansions and telling them if they didn't live there you would have had a better life.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Rich Republicans like Gates and Buffett? It is official. The top richest zip codes in the country vote Democrat now.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Why shouldn't the Kochs be able to keep more of their money? It's not MY money. I don't want a dime of their money. No, I say a downtown business should pay more which in many cases they do. Everyone in my county pays a set fee which is included in their property taxes for fire protection. I'm speaking here of residential property taxes and not business taxes. That is the difference though. Republicans want a smaller government with a robust economy that promotes job growth that ENABLES citizens to get off entitlement programs and unemployment and rise to the middle income levels through self reliance and personal responsibility. The Democrat model is not working at all. More people have slipped down the economic rung of the latter under Democrat policy. That is a proven statistic.
Not True, they want to spend like drunken sailors and have different priorities. Name on GOP president in office when government got smaller? I'll make it even easier, name one where government got smaller in relationship to GDP? Republican Paul Ryan called to abolish overtime laws, and wanted to turn SS over to Wall Street. These actions prove the opposite of what you claim. Is personal responsibility taking away a women's right to choose?

Democrats support working class rights, and realize a strong economy is consumer spending. By increasing wages and putting more people to work at a higher wage does this. All the rest is just political rhetoric. One only has to look towards successful states to see that a majority are blue. This can only mean the red states ideals are flawed.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM

374 posts, read 491,941 times
I personally have no problem with taxes.... so all the "you don't care about starving children, or roads" can stop right there. I do and have always paid taxes.

I do have a problem with many in society, and the Gov. or certain employee groups that don't understand everyone should have a budget. If the money is not there it is not there, no matter how much you scream, yell, threaten or intimidate.

As in any group sure the IRS needs a budget. But more IRS to hassle, intimidate, be arrogant to with no fear of reprisal, manners, etiquette or accountability is not needed. Many were hired to help with the lovely health care act ( you know the one... the one that the people who don't have it but are paid or told their groups to push it as great). Well..... now many needing it are dropped from it, mistakes are being made, many people health information or financial has been compromised, many can't get care and well...... if that isn't working what the heck to we need more agents to hassle people of certain parties. Just do your job. Stop lying and "losing" data that would prove otherwise. Too much to ask??

Every American should care about their fellow American, integrity and remembering that many of these employees are paid with tax payer dollars. Every American should be treated with respect and responsibility by these employees, if less than that is being done, or it is bloated, or mismanaged something should be done. Regardless of the party you portray, vote for or believe if you have to stick to a budget, or do a job, expect no less of your GOV. Simple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events