Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Most people car, Henry Ford thought no one cared until his competitors started making cars that targeted the interests of buyers, so Ford had to change and start incorporating looks into his products. Most people care about how a car looks, how anyone could think otherwise is pure foolishness.

Any car would have flipped in this situation, some of you people on here seem to think no other car ever flips over, please go search on youtube and see the number of non-suv cars that are involved in roll over accidents. I mentioned in my other post, I was in a roll over, I was doing 35mph or so and it was in a Nissan car.
I didn't say that people didn't care about looks. In fact, I have observed that they do, and do a lot. I've simply said, and continue to say, that for them to care so much about looks in a car is stupid as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, cars can roll-over, but something like an SUV is a whole lot more likely to rollover. That's not to say that rollover tendencies should be the only consideration for a vehicle, else everyone would be driving a Ferrari or Porsche etc. SUVs, though, are some of the worst offenders in what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 06:43 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Source - Chron.com

A summary:
Michael and Trudi Hardman were elementary school teachers were headed to Disney on Wednesday night with their 6 kids. The SUV rolled over after striking the median. The 16 year-old son, who was driving, said he fell asleep at the wheel. When he veered left onto the median, he tried to get back onto the highway but overcorrected which caused the 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe to roll over. He was charged with reckless operation of a vehicle. The crash was around 11pm and they left at around 7pm or 8pm. It's a 16-hour drive from their home in Terrell, TX and Orlando, FL.

His parents, and three of his siblings (ages 4, 7, and 15) were ejected from the vehicle. The 16 year-old was wearing a seatbelt.
Mike should have been at the wheel. There is no substitute for experience on the road.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Mike should have been at the wheel. There is no substitute for experience on the road.
Bottom line........the statement above is the only real conclusion of the accident. We can all second guess now.

There are things in life that are unavoidable............but sometimes we as humans unintentionally set our selves up for the possibility of tragedy.

My prayers go out to the family.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:16 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
What is misleading? They were on their way to Disney. That poor kid will have to live with this the rest of his life. I wonder how much experience he had driving on expressways ?
And if the family had been on its way to Pensacola would that have been considered a point to put into the subject line?

It's an irrelevant attention-grabber...as if such an accident needed it.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:22 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I blame the parents.

They should not have left at 7 or 8 PM after working all day and tried to drive all night. I bet the 16 year old went to school that day and was also too tired to drive during the night.

They pushed themselves too hard and paid the price. Like Dirty Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force, "A man has to know his limitations."
This.

If that was the only way their "dream vacation" was going to happen then their horrible plan should have been scrapped. One would think they were smarter than that but apparently not.

I feel sorry for the 16 year old kid and hope the other survivors will be okay. It's going to be a tough life ahead for all of them.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Based on what I read in the article, I don't believe the 16yr. old should be charged. Mom and dad should not have let him drive, or they should have stayed awake to monitor his driving. He was 16.. How much driving experience could he have possibly had?? It's a senseless tragedy that possibly could have been avoided if they all wore their seat belts.

This poor kid is going to go through life knowing his actions caused the deaths of his family members. That's enough punishment for anyone. No need to punish him further.
He won't get any jail time if that is what you mean. Nor should he. This accident was his parents fault.
I will be in favor of points on his license, fine, and suspension of his drivers permit. Not sure on the latter but count on the other two happening.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I think they should have not been on the road at all. Stay at home until morning or parents drive a little and head to a hotel room.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
I can't believe the cops are charging the 16 year old kid with reckless driving or anything...that's just cruel and heartless. The kid, KID has to go through life knowing he is the reason why half his family is dead...and they throw that on top of him? God I can;t even imagine what must be going trhoguh this poor kid's head. This is beyond tragic.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I can't believe the cops are charging the 16 year old kid with reckless driving or anything...that's just cruel and heartless. The kid, KID has to go through life knowing he is the reason why half his family is dead...and they throw that on top of him? God I can;t even imagine what must be going trhoguh this poor kid's head. This is beyond tragic.
No, you are wrong.

Andrew Hardman was cited for "careless operation of a vehicle" which is routine when police feel someone caused an accident. It is a misdemeanor.

The New Orleans police were just doing their job at the accident scene. I can only imagine how tough it was on them as well.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:58 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,501,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
No, you are wrong.

Andrew Hardman was cited for "careless operation of a vehicle" which is routine when police feel someone caused an accident. It is a misdemeanor.

The New Orleans police were just doing their job at the accident scene. I can only imagine how tough it was on them as well.
No, you are wrong. To cite a kid for anything after he is responsible for the accidental death of his family is, as I said, cruel and heartless. Parents were at fault with their extremely poor decision. To cite the kid for it is...well, this is getting repetitive. Cruel and heartless.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 11-23-2014 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events