Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 02:04 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
No, you are wrong. To cite a kid for anything after he is responsible for the accidental death of his family is, as I said, cruel and heartless.
Labeling the police at this accident scene as "cruel and heartless" when they were doing a job in very difficult circumstances is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 02:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Labeling the police at this accident scene as "cruel and heartless" when they were doing a job in very difficult circumstances is wrong.
Incorrect.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:06 PM

12,840 posts, read 866,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
John13 - I agree with everything you said.

Also, in some states it is the law that a citation HAS to be issued in an accident; however, I don't know about this state.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Suv's are prone to rollover. That's a fact. They are a danger to people in regular vehicles and to the occupants that are in them. Why they don't make them with lower ground clearance(you don't need high ground clearance to drive on pavement)is beyond me.
Yes--I've never understood why people want SUVs because they are "safer." I cannot count how many times I've seen them on their roofs after an accident.

Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I wish they had not charged the kid with reckless driving. He is a minor, and he doesn't deserve the blame for what was clearly a failure on the parents' part. THEY were responsible in that scenario - a 16-year-old should not have been driving on an unfamiliar Florida highway at 11 pm at night with his entire family in the car. They were responsible for buckling themselves up and making sure their children had their seatbelts on. He is likely traumatized beyond belief and probably blaming himself - and now he's got the law telling him he's responsible too. I understand it's probably standard procedure, but it just added to the damage on this kid.

I hope the judge or DA throws the case out when it comes to court.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Yes--I've never understood why people want SUVs because they are "safer." I cannot count how many times I've seen them on their roofs after an accident.
They are safer, rolling over does not mean they are unsafe, people survive just fine many times in a roll over, plus, roll overs have many factors involved in which any car can roll over. The people in this story would have survived just fine if they were wearing their seat belt.

What do you mean you cannot count how many times you seen this, given the overall rarity of roll overs, I doubt you seeing them is a common occurrence to the point "you cannot count".

All cars can rollover, every single one of them, so exactly what is the lateral force limit in your opinion that should be established for cars? Because I can make the same cause that "Corollas can roll over easier than Corvettes", so therefore Corollas are not safe and have poor handling.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:00 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
SEAT BELTs !!!!!

Old 11-23-2014, 06:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
This tragic accident happened not far from me and involved a family from our area (no, I didn't know any of them) so it is ALL over the news, day in and day out. It makes me furious and frustrated and sad every time I hear it.

Those STUPID PARENTS! It makes me so impotently angry at them. They allowed an inexperienced driver to drive AT NIGHT with a vehicle chock full of children, NONE OF WHICH were wearing seat belts - and neither were the parents. Un freaking believable. If either of the parents had survived, I would have slapped THEM with criminal charges.

All those lives cut so short, so quickly - and it was so preventable. You can clearly see from the pictures of the vehicle - if the passengers had been wearing their seatbelts (like the driver was) they would be alive today.

It sickens me.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:15 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I wish they had not charged the kid with reckless driving. He is a minor, and he doesn't deserve the blame for what was clearly a failure on the parents' part. THEY were responsible in that scenario - a 16-year-old should not have been driving on an unfamiliar Florida highway at 11 pm at night with his entire family in the car. They were responsible for buckling themselves up and making sure their children had their seatbelts on. He is likely traumatized beyond belief and probably blaming himself - and now he's got the law telling him he's responsible too. I understand it's probably standard procedure, but it just added to the damage on this kid.

I hope the judge or DA throws the case out when it comes to court.
While I agree with most of your post 16 year old drivers do get charged when they are behind the wheel and have an accident. I do not think police had much of a choice but to charge him.

It happened to me at age 16 and I had to go to court. But no one was hurt except me with minor injuries. I got fined and points which is all Andrew is likely going to get as well. It's part of the deal when one gets a permit to legally drive.

I also totally blame my worthless father for me not being prepared to drive but I suffered the consequences. It was the only time in my life that I ever had an accident that was my fault.

Last edited by John13; 11-23-2014 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
Why on earth they left in the evening with a teenager driving is insane. In my state he would not have been allowed to drive past 9 pm. Why no one had a seatbelt on is just stupid! This was a tragedy that was 100% preventable! I feel awful for the kid. His parents made SEVERAL bad decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events