Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 05:46 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I think parents need to unite in the world get off the, gaming, boyfriends, booze, drugs, doing their nails and watching TV and start raising their kids. I threatened mine I'd be the first to call the police if they stepped sideways. I battled -but I won. I now have grands ,and I have NOT changed my mind- you must teach lawfulness, just as respect, etc. The economy is partly to blame. You have moms working 2/3 jobs to feed the kids - not around to raise them. It does take a village to raise a kid -- the village has turned their backs.
I agree with your post up to the bolded part...simple if you can not afford to raise children use birth control until you can. I'm not talking rich I'm talking get yourself an education where the salary at one job will provide the basics and more if you have children.
Also have children with a responsible partner who will help raise them and provide financial help.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 AM

I love Rudy and NYC was much safer when he was mayor..imo

Old 11-25-2014, 06:01 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Exactly! This either or crap gets me everytime.

I guess Giuliani missed the outrage that happens when there are black on black murders. I guess he napped through that news coverage.

The sad thing is if you hold cops to the same standards as criminals. We expect more from cops than your average gang dude or hothead with a gun.
I agree. The police should be held to a higher standard than a criminal. That cop was a hothead with a gun, and he should have been held to a higher standard. We expect cops to be wiser than your average gang dude, especially when they have a gun in their hand.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That poor Police Officer, Darren Wilson was just doing his job.

And had to deal with Michael Brown, a criminal and thug.

And that officers life has changed forever.
His job is to protect and serve his community.
Which he was doing
AND
Scientific evidence proved it
ALONG WITH
Witness's retracting their accounts.

Michael Brown came after that Police Officer, who stood alone.
And he did what any of us would of done being a police officer or a just a person in that situation.

I am sick and tired of all this race relation garbage.
Cry me a river. Darren Wilson can get over his trauma and his life can change for the better. All Michael Brown can do is lie there and rot. His life was the only one that changed forever.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 AM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I don't know, I think people are pretty much judged by their behavior these days. At least that's how it's been where I've lived. If you are polite and respectful, you will likely be treated the same way. If rude, loud and vulgar, ya will likely be seen as a person of little class. And that's regardless of race. Sometimes things are not about race at all.

As far as people and what they are doing, I don't see any changes in places like south Chicago. What are people doing differently? Most of the good folks that are stuck in these dangerous areas are scared for themselves and children. They are working toward finding a way to a safer area. Those that don't lead their children by setting a positive example keep this cycle of youngsters dropping out of school, getting into gangs and crime going. I remember reading comments from an elderly woman that lived very near where 9 year old Antonio Smith was killed. She and her husband raised 4 kids there and she noted how times have changed and referenced poor parenting being a key to problems. Her husband was sitting on the porch waiting if the kids were not home on time. There are cities that have black police chiefs (like Detroit) and they still have the same problems with crime. If the Chicago PD had only black officers in the southside, there would still be the same crimes day in and day out.

Officers should be held accountable. Cities have spent millions in lawsuits, take a look at how much some cities have spent. I think agencies need to do periodic psych testing and equip all with body cams. Body cams will help keep the overzealous types on a short leash. Those kind should be watched closely. There should be a push to use federal funds to help agencies buy cams. Had the Ferguson cop been wearing one, citizens would have been able to see what he saw that day. And perhaps none of this rioting would have happened.

Why weren't people this upset over the black homeless guy shot by 6 cops in Saginaw? Why no rioting there?? There was video on this incident, they were not indicted and really should have been. That case makes me very angry. They had time to use other options, and this was a homeless guy with mental problems they all knew well. This was nothing but an execution (46 rounds), the cops were not in imminent danger from this guy holding a pocket knife and on the phone with 911. If they had protested over that and I was local, I would have supported peaceful protests. But there was no sea of media there, maybe that was the difference. I don't remember Al or Jesse being there or even being interested in this case. Just a homeless guy with mental health issues, so apparently no one cared. It's really sad.

Two Years Later, No Charges After Police Kill Homeless Man in Barrage of 46 Shots
Nah. If that were the case then you would have stories of people being mistreated by police officers, turned down for interviews based on name alone, the face of welfare wouldn't be a black one, no one wood follow others in stores, being told that they fit the most vague descriptions, and other behaviors that are based on perception and not the individual and you wouldn't have people constantly making blanket statements about whole groups of people and what they should our shouldn't be doing in "their" communities as if all people and communities are the same.

Why would there be rioting everywhere? This was the topic du jour. It was what people were shown and so it was what people latched on to. Protests came from across the country to be apart of this one despite they're being plenty of black men killed in far less questionable circumstances. As usual with the homeless man, I assume that you mean Milton Hall, there were local protests and vigils but for whatever reason this one want as juicy to the news so they skipped over it. It's like the story of Rosa Parks. Do you really think that no one else was arrested for refusing to give up their seat? Of course they were but we only know one name. In cases like these we only hear few. For every Michael Brown and Amadou Diallo (sp) there are a few Orlando Barlow, Kendrek McDades,, James Boyds, Kathryn Johnstons, Kenneth Chamberlain Sr who get less news coverage leading to fewer people responding and less chance of protesting with some angry rioters and looters involved.

Times probably have changed. They've changed everywhere but the story you tell of that family is nothing new.

I'm sure that it's not always race but I've noticed that the vulgar black kids are not looked down on in the same way as the loud vulgar frat boy. The loud kids on the train must have bad parents but that loud white girl on the train recounting her drunken night using terms best suited for a personal space is not being judged in same way. Odds are that it's a class issue with more than a few instances of racial bias. I'm not sure why there is a need to deny that it happens simply because at times people make a incorrect or knee jerk assumptions. Even the big who cried wolf turned out to be right. We all just need to take it case by case.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cry me a river. Darren Wilson can get over his trauma and his life can change for the better. All Michael Brown can do is lie there and rot. His life was the only one that changed forever.
I respect your opinion.
But disagree.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Play with fire, sooner or later you're going to get burnt.

This was the choice/path Brown chose that fateful day.

Don't be so sure Wilson will ever get over that trauma

Old 11-25-2014, 06:17 AM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It's not only Americans.

They are not being showed in a good light around the world. This is getting attention and is making the blacks here look very bad.
I didn't say that there was only an American spotlight on things or that some Americans are the only people who are judging a group by it's smallest and yet most disruptive members. The blacks only look very bad if you are really swayed enough to judge a group by the actions of a portion of them.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Black officers for black neighborhoods is akin to segregation. Miami had both a white and black police force pre-1960s. About Us - Black Police Precinct & Courthouse Museum

Besides, hiring should be based on qualifications met per intake not race or gender equivalency.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,073 times
I'm surprised they had rioting. When the DA was announcing the GJ decision and going over the process, the crowd seemed to be listening intently. People were gathered around cell phones, etc., paying attention to what he said. You could see some were discouraged, many disagreed, but hardly anyone looked like he was going to make trouble. A cop car got wrecked, that looked like the worst of it.

Then this morning, the new is about riots and looting. What happened? The only thing I can figure is that some outside agitators must have incited the crowd. Maybe most of the people went home, leaving behind the restless, people who were ready to be riled up. Then the agitators fired them up and the next thing you knew there was a riot.

It's a shame, really. To me it looked like the great majority of the crowd reacted well, whatever they might have felt inside. But there were a few who listened to the trouble makers and that's all it took.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events