Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,620,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
In October 1964, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. received the Nobel Peace Prize for combating racial inequality by non-violent means. Despite being cut down by an assassin's bullet in April 1968, King made great strides toward ending state-sanctioned segregation and racism in America and is today widely regarded as one of the greatest champions of human rights in American history.

In November 2014, the residents of Ferguson, MI attempted to combat racial equality by looting local businesses and setting fire to their own community. By doing so, they accomplished precious little but reinforcing a horrible stereotype that Dr. King gave his life trying to destroy.

My how times have changed.
Thank you! Most of these protesters have set back race relations another 100 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The protesters are chanting for killing cops, and they got their blood. They are despicable, and anyone who supports these protesters has blood on their hands. They want dead cops.
+1 There is NO NEED FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT TO BE MURDERED! I am a huge fan of Twiztid and like old Insane Clown Posse. A few of their fans on Instagram have been calling to murder all cops. Had to block them; I should have called the police and maybe I will. There's NO NEED TO TALK LIKE THAT, especially when cops are there to protect and help us. And most do care about us and want to help us... unless we don't want the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I live in King of Prussia - biggest mall on the East Coast... same thing happened here on Saturday. I wish people would just pepper spray and teach them a lesson. I don't agree with what they're doing at all. Maybe they should get an education, get a job and contribute to society. Why should we stand up for thugs who break laws?
......lol, are you talking about the Harvard Law protestors?

Seriously, the racist hate rhetoric needs to stop. They have every right to protest... it is a constitutional right whether you like it or not.

Quote:
I could see if Michael Brown was innocent or Eric Garner, but they weren't... they were breaking laws. See a pattern? If you break laws, you are going to have issues with law enforcement. Full stop. Break laws, police officers will get involved. I have no idea why people feel bad for these people and I have no idea why universities encourage this as well. Maybe if kids had guidance, this wouldn't be an issue.
People aren't protesting for two isolated incidents. They are protesting the systematic execution of black men at the hands of law enforcement.

Maybe you should go to a university to learn why they encourage this.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
let's face it, anybody I don't agree with on anything needs to get prepper sprayed and water canyoned

anybody touches my stuff...

sincerely yours,

Francis
No. I don't agree with everything all the time, but doing things logically wins a lot more points than being thugs and continuing the negative stereotypes they want to combat.

I will be honest with you, I almost assaulted this woman a few months ago. It was June 2014 at my cousin's graduation. Like a lot of young people (race doesn't matter - a lot of young people have an entitlement problem), she was acting entitled. A family was sitting in this area waiting to watch their child graduate. Well, she and her husband wanted to sit there instead. She started hasseling the family and the husband knocked out the white woman. You know what happened? The security guard, another black woman, agreed with the black family! There were plenty of seats elsewhere! How dare they! That other family, which was a poor family (this black family was rich), had to give up their seats. I lost it and I actually motioned to hit the woman with my camera. Instead I said, "HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU ACT LIKE AN ENTITLED PRINCESS AND TAKE THE SEATS OF PEOPLE SITTING THERE ALREADY! THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER SEATS!" My uncle and mom had to restrain me. I would have done that to white people too or Mexicans or whatever. That kind of behavior bothers me. No one is entitled to anything. And yet people cater to black people because if they don't, it's racist. That is very wrongheaded.... very, very wrongheaded. That kind of sets an example that they can do what they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.

I've been involved in a crime. Person was white and he got away with it. He was young too and that's why I'm saying it's more than a black problem - it's an entitlement problem. People aren't allowed to do whatever they want without consequences. All actions have consequences and most entitled people don't see that.

And to Opin_yunated, I am a college graduate. Graduated from a liberal university that I hated with every fiber of my being -I think most professors poison society... especially those that teach all heterosexual sex is rape. What?! No. No, no, no. I have a parent in law enforcement and he has to follow laws and procedures as does everyone else. Most cops want to help and want to do good for society. Yes, there are some crooked people in the profession and some that take bribes. But, I've seen as a society, a lot of parents just don't teach their children. A lot of children are misguided. Not only black children, but white and other races. It's not a law enforcement problem, it's a society problem. We have changed so much over the years and not in the best of ways. No one takes accountability for their actions and instead play victim. Well, that needs to stop - no one gets anywhere by playing victim. We need to learn to take accountability for our actions and if we do something wrong, we should own up to it. Blaming others doesn't work.

I'll be honest with you. I hate most young people... especially young people who think standing up for thugs and not take a step back to say, "Well, obviously they were doing something to warrant that." and paint law enforcement as bad. I was actually accused of being a racist and victim blamer on my blog. I'm not a racist and I definitely don't blame victims. If people are innocently gunned down, we have a problem - but everyone who has been killed lately in the news weren't innocent. They were the opposite of that. Why would someone resist arrest? Why should someone who ROBS a convenience store get away with his crime? If he was fighting with the officer, that proves the opposite of being innocent. Why would someone ignore instructions (the kid in Cleveland)? At 12 years old, one should be aware that if you fail to listen to a cop and brandishing a weapon that could be real, especially in this day and age with gun violence everywhere, why wouldn't you listen? It's sad that he died, it was sad the officer wasn't instructed that it could have been a fake, but why didn't the kid just listen to a simple instruction of putting down the gun? He had to be aware that brandishing a weapon and refusal to listen is hostile. It's lack of education or not caring about others around you that are also problems.

Last edited by jessxwrites89; 12-22-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
No. I don't agree with everything all the time, but doing things logically wins a lot more points than being thugs and continuing the negative stereotypes they want to combat.

I will be honest with you, I almost assaulted this woman a few months ago. It was June 2014 at my cousin's graduation. Like a lot of young black people I encounter, just like a lot of young people of any race I encounter, she was acting entitled. A family was sitting in this area waiting to watch their child graduate. Well, she and her husband wanted to sit there instead. She started hasseling the family and the husband knocked out the white woman. You know what happened? The security guard, another black woman, agreed with the black family! There were plenty of seats elsewhere! How dare they! That other family, which was a poor family (this black family was rich), had to give up their seats. I lost it and I actually motioned to hit the woman with my camera. Instead I said, "HOW DARE YOU! HOW DARE YOU ACT LIKE AN ENTITLED PRINCESS AND TAKE THE SEATS OF PEOPLE SITTING THERE ALREADY! THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER SEATS!" My uncle and mom had to restrain me. I would have done that to white people too or Mexicans or whatever. That kind of behavior bothers me. No one is entitled to anything. And yet people cater to black people because if they don't, it's racist. That is very wrongheaded.... very, very wrongheaded. That kind of sets an example that they can do what they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want.

I've been involved in a crime. Person was white and he got away with it. He was young too and that's why I'm saying it's more than a black problem - it's an entitlement problem. People aren't allowed to do whatever they want without consequences. All actions have consequences and most entitled people don't see that.

And to Opin_yunated, I am a college graduate. Graduated from a liberal university that I hated with every fiber of my being -I think most professors poison society... especially those that teach all heterosexual sex is rape. What?! No. No, no, no. I have a parent in law enforcement and he has to follow laws and procedures as does everyone else. Most cops want to help and want to do good for society. Yes, there are some crooked people in the profession and some that take bribes. But, I've seen as a society, a lot of parents just don't teach their children. A lot of children are misguided. Not only black children, but white and other races. It's not a law enforcement problem, it's a society problem. We have changed so much over the years and not in the best of ways. No one takes accountability for their actions and instead play victim. Well, that needs to stop - no one gets anywhere by playing victim. We need to learn to take accountability for our actions and if we do something wrong, we should own up to it. Blaming others doesn't work.
LOL, didn't your mother have to restrain you to prevent you from getting into it at an Eagles bar with their fans, I'm guessing that these altercations are something in the order of a routine occurrence for you.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL, didn't your mother have to restrain you to prevent you from getting into it at an Eagles bar with their fans, I'm guessing that these altercations are something in the order of a routine occurrence for you.
No, no altercation. She had to stop me from booing in a crowded restaurant that was showing an Eagles games before there would be an altercation. I hate where I live, I hate it with every fiber of my being. I have always hated where I live. I am generally a nice person, but after last year... my life has changed a lot. After what happened, I hate being here even more and I just feel more hostile towards being here. I hate my life even more.

I used to be bullied in school. What was done? Nothing,despite constant harassment from these kids calling 24/7 calling me really horrible names and spreading rumors. We did get a restraining order. However, the fact that their parents taught them nothing and then the school did nothing (this was 2002) shows the kind of society we live in. Those kids that bullied me, half are in jail. No one mentors young kids to teach them right from wrong. Don't you think it was wrong for that family to kick out the other family because they just wanted to sit there? I find that really wrong, especially if that family was there first and they were doing nothing. When the family said, "No, we're not moving." the guy knocked out the woman. That's terrible... especially when there are better seats available. In that case, it's just a p***ing contest and they wanted to see how far they could take it. I had to say something because no one should get away with that type of behavior. And that's what is wrong with society - people think they can do whatever they want without consequences.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:05 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

(I doubt the protestors will block an ambulance)

Protesters arrested for blocking Hart Bridge during rush hour | News - Home
Traffic jam caused by protests kept paramedics from responding to apparent heart attack | Universal Hub
#ShutItDown: Peaceful protesters blocking ambulances, access to hospitals | Twitchy

So the protestors has such a command/control structure that will allow emergency vehicles through but cannot control looting and violence in their midst?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
There's nothing wrong with protesting, but when it gets to be this point and blocking businesses, it goes beyond peaceful and something more sinister... especially when they start murdering. I'm sure minorities don't have it easy, but actually doing something by starting change within, is far more effective. These protesters should start mentoring at risk youth and start teaching their children (if applicable) well.

And no, I don't hate minorities. Some of the best people I know are minorities. They treat everyone with respect. That's all I'm saying - there's a total breakdown of respect among everyone nowadays. No respect makes for a bad society.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Responses in this thread speak to the reason people feel the need to protest. Some points:
- Per the article, the police chief stated that there were no injuries or incidents of violence or theft.

- There is nothing in this article to suggest that the protesters are 'thugs', committing 'mayhem', and 'collecting welfare'. Rather these are stereotypes that many people hold about blacks. The 'mooching off mommy and daddy' bit seems to refer that the pictures show that most of the demonstrators were white.

- While it is easy to say that people should just suck it up about stereotypes and animosity against them, and people do that for the most part, when those stereotypes appear systemic and lead to incidents that involve unnecessary deaths, it is much harder to ignore. While Brown and Garner may have made poor decisions about engaging in criminal behaviors, there are also cases like John Crawford's, where a man who had done nothing other than pick up an item from a store shelf was gunned down, a victim of the stereotypes people are protesting.

- The decisions Brown and Garner made did not warrant death. In the Brown case, it is hard to know what the details are because of conflicting accounts, though the Garner case is pretty clear what happened because of the video evidence. That both officers were cleared of charges is what protesters see as part of the systemic stereotyping. If the guy who killed the two officers in Brooklyn had been taken alive, is there any doubt that he would be prosecuted to the full extent of the law? In truth, the prosecutor in the Brown case didn't do Officer Wilson any favors because it looks like the grand jury inquiry was a major whitewash job, so while Wilson was cleared of charges, he can never really be exonerated. That's on the prosecutor.

- The killer in NY was just that - a killer. In addition to the two officers he murdered, he apparently also killed his girlfriend. And he had nothing to do with these protesters. Was he influenced by the raised awareness of police violence? Possibly. But somebody who did what he did (capped off by killing himself) was not in his right mind, and does not represent all people who have an axe to grind about recent events.

While in any crowd, you will have knuckleheads with their own selfish agendas, there are many, many people who are sincere in their concerns about the consequences of systemic racism. Just because you don't safe their concern doesn't mean their concerns aren't real.

And I'm not sure that 'peeling clothes off with high pressure fire hoses, bring out the dogs, more tear gas, more rubber bullets, crack a few skulls' is really going to lead to a solution.
I don't have problems with protests when they are peaceful and don't break laws such as trespassing laws, traffic laws, etc. Most of the Garner protests have been at best border-line getting into disruptive protests as oppose to the more disruptive protests over Brown in Missouri. This act was creeping into this teritory, BUT I don't think any of these more peaceful disruptors are the thugs that others on this thread have painted them as. Most have been silent at protests rather than the disrupti e ones we saw in Missouri with Brown's stepfather basically inciting a riot by his chants of burn it down.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Next protest: We need police in our neighborhoods! They only work in white neighborhoods.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You think an arsonist can't burn down multiple buildings?

Also, they caught law enforcement officials burning down buildings.

Surprise surprise.
Do you have proof of this? A legitimate link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events