Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM

607 posts, read 761,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I mean I sure do like to eat healthy. I avoid trans fat at all costs, and I avoid mechanically separated meat at all costs. I avoid certain products that I know contain GMOs but not always because the GMO thing is way overblown. I do check the ingredients labels too...for example when buying hot dogs I check to make sure it's made with all beef and doesn't say mechanically separated pork or something else disgusting on it. On most products I check to make sure there is no trans fat, and I check that the sodium levels per serving aren't too too high...because let's face it who actually eats the proper serving size printed ont he label?? Always way too little. Want to make sure 1 little serving isn't like 40% of my daily sodium intake and end up eating 2-3 servings...as just one meal. And I'm not fat, at all. I am 5'5" and only way 118lbs. I eat so much food. In fact one lady at work when we were all in the break room said to me "you should be so fat! you're always eating!" Made me giggle.
Again, it is all about happy mediums(the greeks said it all on that. per the "golden mean")...

Some foods you simply know are going to be problems, like snack foods, and should be occasional treats.

Per McDonalds, when I was a kid, it was a relatively rare treat(hence the "we are getting McDonalds!" excitement)....Fast food was never meant to be a "go to every day by default" phenomenon, though I am sure the companies themselves would love for all of us to go 3 times a day or more.

I think it is just common sense what is in food and how much we should eat. It does not take a rocket scientist to conclude chips are bad on a daily basis, or that Chia seeds are good for you daily, along with most fruits and vegetables. Pretty much a no-brainer..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 06:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,240,294 times
Yup. If there is a particular food that I am trying to avoid, I can even convince myself that I am allergic to it and would actually choose starvation over eating that food; I physically can't even swallow it even if I am desperately hungry. I don't like to think of it as a mental disorder, but it certainly is socially isolating and it's annoying that people don't understand that I'm just super strict about what I eat. Take the Big Mac out of your own mouth before you criticize how I eat.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:43 PM

607 posts, read 761,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

I believe many of those that happen to live LONG lives has to do with genetics
All things considered, and being equal(presuming a group of people that are living an average healthy
life - eating pretty good, jogging, working out, etc. -), I would say it is 80% or more genetics.....

Outside of that, perhaps age itself, which also is genetics....telekemerase is at the end of chromosomes.....when it is used up, we get old, regardless, and, sadly, ahem.....die....

Proof of this is the weird genetic abnormality that makes children turn into old men(only boys get it), with those poor kids with those old man faces and jughead jutting ears(and even receding hairlines).

This because the telekemerase decided to make their little bodies old, as that is what telekemerase does....

This boy is 11....

You cannot defeat genes and aging with ANY diet or health regimen...

Far as I know every human being that ever lived has died.....if any of you know of any still around after 200-300 years(outside of the bible, which is a little weirded out), let me know..

Old 12-29-2014, 06:50 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,364,269 times
^^^^^. Girls can get the disease as well. Its called Progeria

Old 12-29-2014, 06:54 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,650,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Any opinions out there on OVERhealthy eating? Any friends/people you know that obsess over their groceries and meals? Do you find this sad? a good thing?
This was my ex-husband to a T. Had to eat the same thing at the same time every day (alternating days), exercise the same amount of time (alternating activities), and no butter, no fat, etc. He would send things back in restaurants. I literally felt alienated after a while because I just couldn't sit and munch on unsalted kosher pretzels for breakfast. He kind of went into his own world when he ate, as well. Pizza was okay, but NO CHEESE. And only vegetables, of course. Even salad dressings had to be low- or no-fat. He would not eat meat but thankfully ate fish, which we ate in large quantities.

It was one of the reasons for the divorce. I just couldn't take the rigidity and, yes, the obsessiveness. He didn't even want anyone eating in the car.

There's a joke I used to tell him: "One day, you're going to be lying in the hospital, dying of nothing."

He never thought it was funny. Whew, those were tough times!

Old 12-29-2014, 07:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,775,725 times
Quote:

Proof of this is the weird genetic abnormality that makes children turn into old men(only boys get it), with those poor kids with those old man faces and jughead jutting ears(and even receding hairlines).

Both boys AND GIRLS can have Progeria.

Progeria Research Foundation | Meet the Kids

Old 12-29-2014, 07:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,857,412 times
My brother definitely thinks his lifestyle is the only way to go. He is insufferable about it and totally obsessive. On a recent visit (thankfully they aren't frequent!) he decided that there was no suitable acceptable restaurants to go to in all of San Diego and he spend upwards of an hour researching a suitable place for food. Then, at his acceptable restaurant, he modified his entire meal. Sigh... It's very sad and he looks horrible. He doesn't exercise regularly so his obsession seems to only be with food (and medicine which he doesn't trust).

Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 PM

983 posts, read 996,410 times
The late Steve Jobs was infamous for his strange eating habits.

The strange eating habits of Steve Jobs - NBC News

Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:
There is a newly diagnosed mental disorder called Orthorexia Nervosa. The gist of it is that those that
have this disorder spend an inordinate amount of time obsessing about the quality of food they eat.

This is far from a fear of Gluten, and covers anything you can imagine one could consider a threat in their foods..GMO's, carbs, salt, sugar, transfat, you name it.....these poor souls sometimes spend 3 hours(presumably at Whole Foods or the like), going obsessively over the labels and ingredients of each and every item they purchase. They obsess over exercise, wondering if they have burned enough calories that day. Over sleep(too much? not enough?). Over stress.

At a certain point, this becomes plain OCD, which, ironically, is how this mental disorder is being treated.
I have often thought that those shoppers that are a little TOO cautious and careful about what they eat were OCD-like, but according to the psychologists, this is actually no different than OCD at a certain point, and very similar to another "nervosa", anorexia...

Here is a short excerpt from the article describing the disorder(yes, you can be too "healthy", obsessed about the same so much, you go full circle and deprive your body of nutrients)..

Those who have an “unhealthy obsession” with otherwise healthy eating may be suffering from “orthorexia nervosa,” a term which literally means “fixation on righteous eating.” Orthorexia starts out as an innocent attempt to eat more healthfully, but orthorexics become fixated on food quality and purity. They become consumed with what and how much to eat, and how to deal with “slip-ups.” An iron-clad will is needed to maintain this rigid eating style. Every day is a chance to eat right, be “good,” rise above others in dietary prowess, and self-punish if temptation wins (usually through stricter eating, fasts and exercise). Self-esteem becomes wrapped up in the purity of orthorexics’ diet and they sometimes feel superior to others, especially in regard to food intake.

I hate to say this, but I know people like this, and there are many people out there sadly getting this way.

Here are a few recent articles and websites on this phenomenon(yes, there INDEED is an overobsession with health out there).

Orthorexia Home Page -

When eating too healthy becomes harmful - today > health - TODAY.com

These people often have a fear of eating out, as they cannot trust something they did not prepare themselves. They also often wash fruits, veggies, etc. multiple times. I think the saddest thing is
when they do the same to their children, depriving them of any joy at eating even a small amount of fun food kids have enjoyed for generations, like pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, tacos, you name it.

BBC News - Can healthy eating be forced on children?

Any opinions out there on OVERhealthy eating? Any friends/people you know that obsess over their groceries and meals? Do you find this sad? a good thing?

My aunt is like this. Her OCD manifests itself this way .

Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,173,414 times
Quote:
All things considered, and being equal(presuming a group of people that are living an average healthy
life - eating pretty good, jogging, working out, etc. -), I would say it is 80% or more genetics.....

Outside of that, perhaps age itself, which also is genetics....telekemerase is at the end of chromosomes.....when it is used up, we get old, regardless, and, sadly, ahem.....die....

This because the telekemerase decided to make their little bodies old, as that is what telekemerase does....

This boy is 11....

You cannot defeat genes and aging with ANY diet or health regimen...

Far as I know every human being that ever lived has died.....if any of you know of any still around after 200-300 years(outside of the bible, which is a little weirded out), let me know..
It's funny but I'm just now reading a book on aging research which has the goal of using practical methods to lengthen life (we're not there yet, maybe a few decades and we'll be able to get some of it for public use). There are actually several causes of various components of aging, such as amyloid plaques and the accumulation of destructive glycoproteins. I was rootin' for telomeres unraveling over time leading to mutations just as you say, but the author felt that wasn't as important as other problems.
Quote:
The SENS Research Foundation pursues research strands which correspond to seven categories of cellular damage which accumulate with age: accumulated side effects of metabolism which are eventually fatal.[2]
Seven types of aging damage and SENS research strands:
Cell loss and cell atrophy — Stem cells and tissue engineering [3]
Nuclear [epi]mutations — WILT, short for "Whole-body Interdiction of Lengthening of Telomeres" [4]
Mitochondrial mutations — Allotopic expression of 13 proteins [5]
Death-resistant cells — Targeted removal [6]
Extracellular crosslinks — AGE-breaking molecules and tissue engineering [7]
Extracellular aggregates — Stimulating of the immune system to clear out the aggregates [8]
Intracellular aggregates — Equipping the lysosome with enzymes capable of degrading the aggregates SENS Research Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interestingly after massive amounts of research, attempts to protect cells by the use of antioxidants especially found in foods (we all know about vitamin c and blueberries, among so many other antioxidant fads) has failed to pan out, in fact some of them being a bit harmful in excess.

I remember cheering for some guy who had made some sort of record for living longest in America ...... he said he'd simply eaten out of a can once a day for decades ...... other centenarians have told of their diets which all contradicted one another.

Diet is not the key to a long life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events