Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,354,404 times

Advertisements

A friend once gave me a ferret. It was born and raised in captivity, and was socialized since birth, so it was as tame as a ferret will get, and it was not a good pet. Being used to cats and dogs, I made the mistake of letting it roam around the house just once. Within an hour or less, it attacked the family cat, chewed off part of an ear, and sent the cat fleeing to the top of a high cabinet for safety, attacked both family dogs, who broke out a screen door trying to get away, then came upstairs and bit my foot as I climbed out of the bathtub after taking a shower.

After I yelled in pain, he scampered off, but came back a minute later, as contrite as a ferret can be, as he already knew me. An hour later, he found a brand new home at the city zoo, where he lived a long time.

The total time span between the gifting and the zoo was about 48 hours. The ferret always remembered me; he would come over in his cage at the zoo and purr whenever I came to see how he was doing.

I was 20 then. During that time, I also had a hawk living in my back yard, a buddy who had a bobcat, and an aunt who had a pet black bear living in her back yard. Both mammals went to the zoo, and I let the hawk free. Wild animals are not pets.

They will never be good pets, no matter what, how, or when. Predatory mammals may have something that resembles affection for their owners, but their instincts will always rule, and the affection is never enough to check their hard-wired wildness, period.

There are very few truly domesticated animals in the world. Even the most domesticated of all animals, the dog, is still full of wildness, as we all know.

Trying to believe a wild animal will ever be content, happy, or will obey a human is a massive human mistake.

Of all wild animals people bring home, I think only members of parrot species ever become halfway content with their domestication, and not all of them will adjust. Any other critter is always a potential danger, to the point of being lethal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
It was reported the parents are mentally challenged. I believe the other children have been removed from the home.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:34 PM

421 posts, read 410,749 times
Horrific! This story really made my skin crawl. I love how the father was saying "it's not our fault". He didn't seem to react as if something unspeakable happened to his baby. I seemed almost as if the baby was just another pet to him. How does this couple afford 5 children? Again we see baby factory mentality with our gov being the enabler. I am assuming that is how they afford this brood; I mean the guy does not look like a rocket scientist which is what you would have to be to afford a family that size. Very sad.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:20 PM

677 posts, read 672,393 times
The father reminded me of a drug addict.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I don't know about your mom, or your wife or you moms out there, but when I screamed & cried as a baby, or my daughter cried, the women can hear that for a long ways as an instinct.

This kid had to be screaming and throwing a fit.

Was this a 30,000 sq.ft. house?
Crack pipe was a priority. Damn kids are always screaming anyway, not like they can't wait.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
This sad tragedy is far more about the people involved than a farret. The fact that these people are actually allowed to have so many poorly kept kids is the real question. I guess personal liberty manifest through reproductive rights trump common sense, and social responsibility. These kids, including the poor toddler now with facial scars and deformity, will become the ward and burden of society. Long live personal freedom...now pay up!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:53 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It was reported the parents are mentally challenged. I believe the other children have been removed from the home.
I watched part of the interview with the father, and I'd agree that he sure seemed mentally challenged.

I don't understand why so many CD posters seem to find humor in this situation. It's pretty horrific if you ask me.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 PM

240 posts, read 239,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Cops: Pet ferrets maul newborn's face while mom is upstairs

That's it! Ban all Ferrets! They are a danger to babies and kids.
Ban the parents from having kids then throw them in jail for being idiots

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 PM

460 posts, read 1,004,118 times
What kind person thinks it's a good idea to place rodents hear their newborn baby.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,519,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If the newborn had been armed he could have shot them ferrets dead.
And if the cages had a pin lock and lower Ferret capacity along with a background check on the owners, a 15 day waiting period, none of this would have happened. Why do people need high capacity Ferret cages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events