Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Something does seem off about this. At best this is 5 hours of walking a day if not 7 or so. He is doing this for a 10/hr job? Something is off with the math. His commute is 14 hours a day and a 8 hour shift at work. Min wage is 8.15 if he found two min wage jobs where he worked 25 hours each he would have the same income and only work 50 hours vs his current 110 work/commute
He could easily commute in 5-7 hours total, not 14 (assuming he is healthy).

The guy seems modest, though. He turned down an offer from the City to have a bus scheduled to pick him and drop him off.

The linked article in the OP only tells half the story. The guy's job relocated 9 miles farther away after he lost his car, so the initial distance was not as far. Also, the City of Detroit continuously cut bus service, once agin sometime after he lost his car, making his feet the only viable mode of transportation. Initially, he was able to rely more on bus service but with the bus service slowly being reduced over time he had to begin walking more.

So, he initially rode the bus and walked a shorter distance, then slowly over time the distance required to walk grew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I actually read this story and was a bit mystified by it.
Has anyone stopped to think that maybe he simply prefers to walk? I know, with the shear amounts of people who drive to the corner store a block away, this guy must be some sort of con, right

I was once in a situation where I had to walk the four miles to work. Or ride a bike, but I often times preferred the walk. The bus that I could take only ran once an hour, ran shear across town before cutting back to my stop, and because of scheduling I would either be way early for work or late. Walking was the easiest solution.

It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to walk the four miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
He could easily commute in 5-7 hours total, not 14 (assuming he is healthy).

The guy seems modest, though. He turned down an offer from the City to have a bus scheduled to pick him and drop him off.

The linked article in the OP only tells half the story. The guy's job relocated 9 miles farther away after he lost his car, so the initial distance was not as far. Also, the City of Detroit continuously cut bus service, once agin sometime after he lost his car, making his feet the only viable mode of transportation. Initially, he was able to rely more on bus service but with the bus service slowly being reduced over time he had to begin walking more.

So, he initially rode the bus and walked a shorter distance, then slowly over time the distance required to walk grew.

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe he simply prefers to walk? I know, with the shear amounts of people who drive to the corner store a block away, this guy must be some sort of con, right

I was once in a situation where I had to walk the four miles to work. Or ride a bike, but I often times preferred the walk. The bus that I could take only ran once an hour, ran shear across town before cutting back to my stop, and because of scheduling I would either be way early for work or late. Walking was the easiest solution.

It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to walk the four miles.

This article and it's timeline puts his commute at 4.5 hrs there 6 hours back.

Heart and sole: Detroiter walks 21 miles in work commute

Meaning his total weekly commute is 52.5 hours + 40 for working.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:56 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Whoever set up that gofundme page for him could put a halt on the donations. It's over $270K? i wonder if they (his mgmt. team) plan to pay some of that money forward to others who are in need of vehicles?
Who knows if he'll ever even see the money.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
With the money raised I bet he can buy a nice house near his job. From what they said his job is in the suburbs of Detroit, and he lives in Detroit proper. Makes sense to be closer to work and to live in a better area. This guys solid work ethic has paid off for him. I do hope he gets some good financial advise, I bet he has little experience with managing money like that. A place like Detroit is filled with crooked people who are likely waiting to prey upon him.
I agree. It was just on the news that a Detroit lottery winner was found stabbed to death--and he had only won $20k. This guy has over $305k in donations on the Gofundme page. I sincerely hope nothing happens to him.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:55 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
There's nothing that says the marathon walker even sees that gofundme money.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
There's nothing that says the marathon walker even sees that gofundme money.
I've never donated money there. This may sound dumb, but why wouldn't he get the money? Where else would it go?

Old 02-06-2015, 09:46 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I've never donated money there. This may sound dumb, but why wouldn't he get the money? Where else would it go?
It could go to the person who created the page, that's where it will go, from there who knows

Old 02-06-2015, 03:06 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Mr. Robinson received a car from the Suburban Ford dealership in Sterling Heights, Michigan. The dealership learned of this story and surprised him by giving him a 2015 Ford Taurus.

Detroit man with marathon walking commute surprised with new car

There's another good thing that's come out of this story. It's brought the Detroit's troubled transportation system to the spotlight. New discussion has been opened to see if this problem can be fixed. This will be of benefit to all the city's residents who have trouble getting around the area. Sometimes better things come from one person's dilemma.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
He got a top of the line Ford Taurus and all of his $300k raised will go towards gas, insurance, maintenance of the car, and personal health expenses. I'm glad he has befriended that banker guy who will help oversee and manage the fund, which should be a trust fund.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:59 PM

He is ABC's person of the week! He plans on using the $300k towards retirement and home improvement expenses.

James Robertson Commutes 21 Miles to Get Back and Forth to His Job in Detroit Video - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events