Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:40 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What makes you think he works? If he really does work why can't he afford a car? If he really does work and and can't drive why doesn't he arrange something with a fellow worker?

His employer is never mentioned. I wonder why.
Direct from the article.

"I set our attendance standard by this man," said Todd Wilson, plant manager at Schain Mold & Engineering. "I say, if this man can get here, walking all those miles through snow and
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
These are the kinds of people I like to help, and would like to see others help. He appears to be a responsible worker who's doing what he has to to get to work.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:04 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why do I find myself skeptical of this ? Come on, according to the timeline on this report he gets two hours of sleep a night.... possible for a short timespan but for 10 years ?! I just don't know.
If it is true...WHY ? Also, if he has friends or family why would they let him do this ? I know I would help a friend or family member out. Find them a car or something.
No, there was an error in the write-up of it, I did the math. He works an 8-hr. day. Takes the bus to work, except for roughly an 2-hr. walk. Says he walks home--that would be about 5 hrs. That gives him plenty of time for 8 hrs' sleep. Brutal day, every day, but still--there's time for adequate sleep.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:13 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, there was an error in the write-up of it, I did the math. He works an 8-hr. day. Takes the bus to work, except for roughly an 2-hr. walk. Says he walks home--that would be about 5 hrs. That gives him plenty of time for 8 hrs' sleep. Brutal day, every day, but still--there's time for adequate sleep.
Scroll down to the timeline. Looks like he walks about 12 miles total, still roughly 4 hours at an average of 3mph. Plus all the time waiting for the buses and the actual bus travel.

Heart and sole: Detroiter walks 21 miles in work commute

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
The guy has worked there so long his employer uses him as the attendance standard yet his wages can't cover owning a car? Please. How did the story get into the media? This is fabricated news for distraction. Well, he just became part of the 1%, make sure he pays his taxes.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Interesting. Certain people, I won't name any names, consistently scoff & ridicule poorer people claiming they need to get their lazy ass off of the couch, quit taking, quit complaining & start working hard. This person is doing that & you STILL ridicule it? There is no hope for people like you, truly.
I saw skepticism in that post, but no ridicule. Are you reading the same thing that I am?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Something does seem off about this. At best this is 5 hours of walking a day if not 7 or so. He is doing this for a 10/hr job? Something is off with the math. His commute is 14 hours a day and a 8 hour shift at work. Min wage is 8.15 if he found two min wage jobs where he worked 25 hours each he would have the same income and only work 50 hours vs his current 110 work/commute
Ummm, jobs are not that easy to come by up in Detroit. Plus with 12 years on the job he may be working towards some type of retirement benefit or something.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:09 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
It isn't just the repairs. It is the additional costs of insurance, gas, further maintenance, etc. This all adds up and when you are making 10 bucks an hour, every dollar counts.
As mentioned in the article, Detroit has the highest car insurance rates in the country.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:20 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why do I find myself skeptical of this ? Come on, according to the timeline on this report he gets two hours of sleep a night.... possible for a short timespan but for 10 years ?! I just don't know.
If it is true...WHY ? Also, if he has friends or family why would they let him do this ? I know I would help a friend or family member out. Find them a car or something.
I was wondering about that myself. Not that I don't believe he walks 21 miles, but does he walk it to get to the bus stop? Or does the bus drop him off 21 miles short of his job?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:22 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
It did say in the article that insurance, because he lives in Detroit with high crime? would cost about $2,200 every 6 months. Some guy making low wages can't afford $4k per year taken out to own a car, let alone gas and maintenance.

I have to go hmmm... at the 2 hours of sleep per night, but there are tons of people in this country who cant afford a car even if they do work. I hope with the money they do give him financial advice and set up funds for certain things like the banker in the article said.

If you work more than 1 year then you can afford a car. No excuses. Those who claim they cannot afford one either earn less than 10 dollars a hour( at which point they should be looking to make more money anyway.),or they choose to spend their money on other things and simply never try to own a car. Otherwise it's silly to work a job for years like that Detroit man and never own a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events