Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:28 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Best Post in this Thread so far.
Repped!
The kids should not blamed for this!
The kids aren't being blamed. The ones responsible are. The kids are impacted, but that's called "life". The kids whose coaches did play by the rules were also impacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Just for the heck of it I would like to see an investigation into the team that beat Chicago for the World Title!! (South Korea?) Were all their players from the proper boundaries? All proper age?
If we are going to take titles then let's make sure ALL winners are obeying ALL rules.
Since the kids actually won would it not be fairer to have them and Nevada be co-champs?

Old 02-12-2015, 12:48 PM

17,357 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
You really think the kids knew? I'm pretty sure the kids don't think about boundaries and the rules around this... I know I had no idea as a kid, I just knew I was on a team...
I definitely think the kids knew they weren't playing on the "right" team ... but since all the adults co-signed, well, what are they going to do?

These kids lived 15-20 miles away. They knew they weren't playing on their neighborhood team.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
What happened is that the coach of a team that got ANNIHILATED when they played Jackie Robinson West began snooping around and throwing out allegations.

IMO, it won't matter in the eyes of the public and shouldn't matter to the players. They BEAT Las Vegas solely based on how well they played. In the end, they were the ones who got to play South Korea. That still make them national champions in my mind and possibly a lot of other people's as well.

I wish another action had been taken b/c this form of cheating doesn't affect how the kids play on the field (unlike using drugs or recruiting older kids). Something like this invalidates the hard works the kids put in just because of some boundary issues.
Cheating always invalidates hard work. That is the point of punishment for cheaters.

This kind of talk is where "otherwise law abiding" comes from too. Yeah, he was otherwise law abiding except that he killed someone. You betcha, the Michael Brown syndrome eh?

What a lesson to teach kids, don't punish hard working cheaters. If you are on a team and the team cheats then as part of the team you get punished too. Yeah, it was the adults that did it but so what, should the kids not learn anything from this and think it is ok to be part of a cheating team so long as you the individual isn't the cheater?

News flash, if your team cheats, you cheat. What lesson would those kids learn if nothing happened?

Far more important, what do you think every other kids learns?

You don't think those adults were also parents of some of those kids? Let them explain to their kids what happened and why. Let those parents sit at the dinner table and look into the eyes of those kids and explain why cheating is a bad thing do to.

Let those kids learn a hard lesson. Maybe they will grow up to insist that other cheaters stay away from them.

Those adults should be publicly shamed BY NAME on national TV so that everyone knows.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:04 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Just for the heck of it I would like to see an investigation into the team that beat Chicago for the World Title!! (South Korea?) Were all their players from the proper boundaries? All proper age?
If we are going to take titles then let's make sure ALL winners are obeying ALL rules.
Since the kids actually won would it not be fairer to have them and Nevada be co-champs?
Just from what I know of the LL circuit from cousins who went on to play DI ball and get drafted, I'd be surprised if more than a fifth of the top 100 or so LL teams in the world have 100% of their kids living within their boundaries. Kids moving in with coaches, grandparents, non-custodial parents, etc expressly to play in a district with better talent. Larger catchment areas in places like Taiwan or Japan, etc.

I think that cheating is wrong, but to me this is a lot like the MLB steroid issue. If we stripped away World Series titles because someone was cheating, then in all probability, we'd probably need to leave the title vacant. The same with the Tour de France and Armstrong...which is what they actually did.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:20 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Considering the demographics, it's not surprising. It is though, quite shameful this is what is being taught to those kids.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:26 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Of course it will matter in the eyes of the public, as LL should be kept as clean as possible to teach kids right from wrong. Teaching them integrity is much more important than winning at any cost.

I guess it comes as no surprise that you are a poster from Chicago with this type of an attitude. I say this not as a personal attack, rather an observation of people who's thinking seems to be divergent from many others who come from different parts of the country.

I wonder if it is because there has historically been so much corruption in your city/state that the citizens become accustom to it
Heck, I think 4 of your last 7 governors have served jail time.
Probably most of Chicago's mayors in memory should be right along with them.
Whether it be ambivalence, apathy or something else, many from IL, and Chicago in particular, view integrity/morals with a jaded lens.
It seems as if many from your neck of the woods assume everyone thinks as you do, that the end justifies the means.

Lastly, did you ever consider how cheating effects all the other kids who had their chance to participate in the LLWS taken away from them?

`
Honey, I'm not from Chicago (or even from the Midwest), so your assumption is a fail here.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Honey, I'm not from Chicago (or even from the Midwest), so your assumption is a fail here.
Well your location says Chicago so not sure what else people are supposed to go off of

Old 02-12-2015, 01:55 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Well your location says Chicago so not sure what else people are supposed to go off of
The concept and idea that, in these modern times, people may be from other locales (even other countries!!) and move somewhere else for some time and yet not be from that area or consider themselves as being from that area. I'm not a Chicagoan, so that reply was a fail.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:02 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
The concept and idea that, in these modern times, people may be from other locales (even other countries!!) and move somewhere else for some time and yet not be from that area or consider themselves as being from that area. I'm not a Chicagoan, so that reply was a fail.
But you can see how someone would think you are from Chicago when your profile reads that you are from Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events