Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:06 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
In my area "travel" sports or club are becoming more and more popular. Kids that play travel sports don't live near each other, it is becoming normal to play with people not near you. I know this isn't "travel", but I can totally see how the kids would have no idea they are supposed to play only with kids right near them.

Also, when I grew up in a more rural area, we had kids that lived far away from each other in different schools all playing on the same team.
In Little League, a big deal is made out of residency and the importance of playing in the proper league. Out here you have to provide multiple proofs of address. Kids know that. Also, it's not a rural area. Leagues have small boundaries in populated areas. People assumed I was from a major city when I said we had at least three Little Leagues, but I'm not. Chicago would have even smaller boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 05:07 PM

893 posts, read 885,783 times
I follow a guy on twitter that is a former major league player and is apparently from that area and he said it isn't surprising and that it was common knowledge for many years that this particular program was always cheating some way. (I would certainly believe a former big leaguer on this has he has too much to lose to make false accusations)

Of course, Jesse Jackson and the race baiters are screaming racism. Idiots.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:11 PM

893 posts, read 885,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
There is an article in today's Chicago Tribune by Michelle Manchir and Paul Skrbina stating that (And I'm quoting this from the paper) "Officials with the neighborhood Little League organizations knew the JRW officials had gerrymandered a map to cover up for ineligible players but kept it quite ." "Officials from JRW met with officials from 3 nearby leagues asking them to give JRW territory so they could "legitimize" the map but those officials refused." The matter came to a head on Jan 31st when JRW was found to have annexed areas from the other leagues without their permission. The map had been "redrawn" and backdated and signed to make it appear it had been the map used during the entire tournament"

You can read the whole article in the Tribune page 8 titled "Officials knew JRW used bogus map"

This is the story that should be circulating and on the front page instead of what we're hearing from the race baiters!
This

Old 02-14-2015, 09:05 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But you can see how someone would think you are from Chicago when your profile reads that you are from Chicago.
Looks like somebody needs to change their profile.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

I can only assume this Chicago attitude is based on the phenomenon I mentioned with an earlier poster from Chicago/IL. The citizens, even the ones who would be inclined to know right from wrong have been inundated with corruption for so long, excuses are made for the inexcusable.

Everyone else is doing it, so we must also to win.

I think stealing is wrong, but at least it is not murder.

`
My handle says Chicago, because that's where I lived when I created it. I'm from another midwestern metro and now live in a third. My cousins live in Texas. We have family friends whose kids were in the LL WS back in '84 (3rd) and Senior League WS back in about '96 or '97. Having kids of their own playing baseball, they've all commented on how much it has changed and how much cheating/player poaching is going on across the board.

Re-read what I said earlier. I'm not excusing them of their behavior. If JRW cheated, then the title should be stripped. The difference is, I think it should just be vacated. If we had the time and resources, based upon the opinions of those I consider to be informed, we could spend a few months investigating each team at that LLWS and probably conclude that all of them (or at least the vast majority) cheated. Maybe we should just do the investigation before hand and crown the one non-cheating team as the champ. The process would be tedious, counterproductive, and meaningless.

So vacate the title and be done with it.

If you really care about integrity, you would see this as reasonable and support cleaning up the administrative/compliance process that permits these types of shenanigans in the first place.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
International teams do get investigated and punished for cheating. A lot of it has to do with overage players, though.
It's also more difficult to track residency of international players too, which is why they tend not to get busted for things like this.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:55 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,214,560 times
Has anyone seen a list of which players were recruited to play from outside the district? I am particularly curious about the young girl who was a true star and got much publicity.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,708 times
A different perspective, from an MLB MVP.

Left Out | The Players' Tribune

Old 02-17-2015, 09:08 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
If you really care about integrity, you would see this as reasonable and support cleaning up the administrative/compliance process that permits these types of shenanigans in the first place.
So basically, the black team got CAUGHT cheating....when everyone is doing it....but that's racism?

See, I agree with your comments but the point here is that we have prominent national figures coming forward throwing out some pretty offensive accusations surrounding a team that got caught.

I mean look at UNC and Penn State?

If Penn State were a traditionally black school and Sandusky were black do we have Jesse etc. rallying around claiming a racist witch hunt?

Do we claim racism about the UNC "paper classes" scandal? That would truly be offensive given that many AA young men went there, contributed their talents and were then ushered out of the program with their 4th grade reading skills to fend for themselves in the world.

You hit the nail on the head, it's just that the BIG news story here isn't the cheating....it's the racial allegations.

Old 02-17-2015, 09:15 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
A different perspective, from an MLB MVP.

Left Out | The Players' Tribune
Please. Anybody not reading this link, you are really missing out.

Thankyou for posting this.

P.S. This can apply not just to kids pursuing sports but to math, the arts....anything. Please help support underprivaledged youth in your community no matter what their talents are. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events