Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times

Advertisements

ESPN is reporting that the Chicago Little League team that won the U.S. title last year knowingly falsified boundaries to include players that would otherwise be ineligible.

Sad that there is cheating even in little league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 09:03 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Doesn't surprise me at all. Most of those teams are probably working angles in some way. Lets face it, our society is win or lose. There is never a second place or a third place. You won or lost period. Even with little kids, which is kind of sick. I think the Little League World Series is a little sick in a way, but I am not a fan of what people will do to get involved in all that mess. Who knows what is really going on!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
What happened is that the coach of a team that got ANNIHILATED when they played Jackie Robinson West began snooping around and throwing out allegations.

IMO, it won't matter in the eyes of the public and shouldn't matter to the players. They BEAT Las Vegas solely based on how well they played. In the end, they were the ones who got to play South Korea. That still make them national champions in my mind and possibly a lot of other people's as well.

I wish another action had been taken b/c this form of cheating doesn't affect how the kids play on the field (unlike using drugs or recruiting older kids). Something like this invalidates the hard works the kids put in just because of some boundary issues.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:47 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Heartbreaking for the poor kids. They played so great but some cheater had to ruin it for them. Wonder what they would find if all teams were investigated? Guess we will never know since just the winners are in the spotlight.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 AM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I wish another action had been taken b/c this form of cheating doesn't affect how the kids play on the field (unlike using drugs or recruiting older kids). Something like this invalidates the hard works the kids put in just because of some boundary issues.
If you get to skim the top talent from a larger area, of course your team will do better. Too bad for the kids, but they were let down by the adults who were supposed to look out for their interests.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:51 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
They cheated. However it was done it was done. Whomever on the TEAM cheated they were caught. Coaches are as much a part of the team as the players. They should be stripped of their title. Hopefully it teaches them something.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:02 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
Quote:
What happened is that the coach of a team that got ANNIHILATED when they played Jackie Robinson West began snooping around and throwing out allegations.

IMO, it won't matter in the eyes of the public and shouldn't matter to the players. They BEAT Las Vegas solely based on how well they played. In the end, they were the ones who got to play South Korea. That still make them national champions in my mind and possibly a lot of other people's as well.

Well then, that makes it all OK !

Com'on folks, it's the Chicago way to do things. Nothing wrong with cheating !

Last edited by Nodpete; 02-11-2015 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 10:28 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you get to skim the top talent from a larger area, of course your team will do better. Too bad for the kids, but they were let down by the adults who were supposed to look out for their interests.
It's my understanding that the child(ren) in question were either homeless and/or moving around between family members. This doesn't sound like a case of a coach recruiting kids from all over the state to pick the best of the best but a situation where, possibly due to unfortunate circumstances, one or more of the kids didn't have a verifiable, stable address in their district for the whole year.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Quote:

And now we know that the coach that got ANNIHILATED did the right thing!

The kids need to learn that a championship obtained by cheating was not earned. The kids are not at fault here but they do need to learn that there are consequences to cheating.

It DOES matter to the public - and they have been stripped of the title because they CHEATED.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 02-11-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-11-2015, 03:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,051,073 times
All those teams cheat, it's just a matter of who gets caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events