Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:30 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Fayetteville Observer coverage: Lawyers reach deal in Christopher Lamont Beatty's case - Fayetteville Observer: Local News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,010 times
"Beatty was detained April 27 by Rick Libero of Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement"

They were there to watch for people drinking in the parking lot.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
"Beatty was detained April 27 by Rick Libero of Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement" They were there to watch for people drinking in the parking lot.
Indeed. Something they do every single day. It's as I thought. A bunch of false outrage over nothing.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Am I correct that this quoted from the link above "Beatty refuses to give up the can and then refuses to follow Libero's repeated commands to leave the property." is analogous to refusing a sobriety check?

NB: Also Beatty was disrespectful to the police officer. If it were you, do you really want someone to talk to you in that manner when trying to fulfill your duties? Beatty was acting like a buffoon stereotype.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-20-2015 at 04:37 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. Something they do every single day. It's as I thought. A bunch of false outrage over nothing.
Not over nothing. He was drinking ICE TEA, not alcohol.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:27 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
I hope the plain clothed policeman came out of this okay. He wasn't harmed by this encounter I hope.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Not over nothing. He was drinking ICE TEA, not alcohol.
The false outrage isn't over whether he is presumed innocent or not. I might go with that. The false outrage is that he was stopped only because he is Black. His color is the ONLY reason you defend him.

The fact of the matter he was drinking that tea in a the parking lot of a county owned liquor store where a state Alcohol Law Enforcement officer showed up who is charged with making sure that no drinking takes place in the parking lot. They ask this of anyone. Doesn't matter what color they are.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The false outrage isn't over whether he is presumed innocent or not. I might go with that. The false outrage is that he was stopped only because he is Black. His color is the ONLY reason you defend him.

The fact of the matter he was drinking that tea in a the parking lot of a county owned liquor store where a state Alcohol Law Enforcement officer showed up who is charged with making sure that no drinking takes place in the parking lot. They ask this of anyone. Doesn't matter what color they are.
I come from Utah. It was the whitest state in the nation. I had 4 black students in my high school. In town this past winter we had a white man shot dead for asking to shovel snow for the people that lived by him.
Utah cop kills man who attacked with snow shovel

So I'm pissed he got hassled. I could care less what color he is. I'm glad he didn't get shot.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:

So you're not outraged that this guy's liberties were violated, you're just outraged that people perceive it to be race-related?

Do you think Beatty baited or antagonized the undercover alcohol cop?
Do you think the cop properly identified himself as a police officer?
Do you think it was proper for the DA to pursue a conviction?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Am I correct that this quoted from the link above "Beatty refuses to give up the can and then refuses to follow Libero's repeated commands to leave the property." is analogous to refusing a sobriety check?

NB: Also Beatty was disrespectful to the police officer. If it were you, do you really want someone to talk to you in that manner when trying to fulfill your duties? Beatty was acting like a buffoon stereotype.

Did you even watch the video?
Did you read the article? The part where the judge threw the case out because the original stop/seizure was illegal?
How about the part where the cop said he arrested Beatty for trespassing, not for disobeying a police order or resisting arrest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events