Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 01:24 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I think you might want to rethink what you said...

Can you pass a multi-faceted background... drug test (on-going)... written and oral psych exam... polygraph and voice stress analyzer,, medical exam.. oral interview board.. run a pat test,, go to an academy ..pass it,, get through probation... have a supervisor review your every action and get videotaped or videotape yourself for them?

Police today are some of the most rigorously tested public servants there are ...

People like you worry me as a policeman because I know with your preconceived notions that my encounter with you may end badly..

Really sick...
Way to show that you care about the victim.

Maybe next time it'll be your grandmother.

Obviously all of those tests are inefficient as you clearly are not able to reason through these type of situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This is what happens when citizens (18 or 78) challenge cops.

Even if the information was incorrect about the restraining order, you don't challenge the police. At 78, she should know this.
^ Ladies and gentlemen, as we accept that our Constitution is garbage and accept that we should all cower, cringe, and OBEY. OBEY, OBEY, OBEY. Do not question. Do not challenge authority! Do not talk back to your Daddy cop, or he has the right to (no, not spank you) taze, beat, or SHOOT you. Hey, that's funny, parents aren't allowed to spank a kid but cops are allowed to shoot them dead. Wow, our society sure makes sense! If you are 18 or 78. OBEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Another cop-hater thread. Nothing to see here.
We sure shouldn't pay any attention, or heaven forbid, TALK about abuses of power in our society. Nothing to see, folks. Put your heads back down and keep working and consuming...never question your masters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
No matter how sweetly intentioned, people aren't allowed to show up at my kids' schools to interrupt the day with cupcakes. The children are busy. Take them out for ice cream afterward.

I suspect the reality of what happened only dimly resembles this story.
That is true. In most schools I've dealt with, there would be policy that she is supposed to go to the office and check in, and leave the stuff with the office. In fact in my kids' schools now, you're not allowed to even bring cupcakes or anything that is home baked because they have to check it over for acceptable levels of trans fats (thanks, Michelle Obama!) So what she was trying to do would have been against the rules. But see, you're expecting a little old woman to know these rules, and not get stubborn or argumentative to anybody about it...how many old people have you had dealings with lately? 'Cause I've dealt with my share of ornery seniors. But no matter how rascally she was, unless she had a gun, she was not a danger and therefore should not have been physically brutalized. I'm guessing that she argued with the cop, and was told to leave, and got in her car like she was leaving but then pulled around and stopped to call her son on her cell phone and that's when the cop realized she had not left as ordered and got angry.

But honestly I'd love if someone would show me the law that says, if you don't comply immediately with any order from an officer, you forfeit your right to physical safety and accept that the officer has the right to beat or kill you.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:31 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
[quote=Sonic_Spork;38658406]^ Ladies and gentlemen, as we accept that our Constitution is garbage and accept that we should all cower, cringe, and OBEY. OBEY, OBEY, OBEY. Do not question. Do not challenge authority! Do not talk back to your Daddy cop, or he has the right to (no, not spank you) taze, beat, or SHOOT you. Hey, that's funny, parents aren't allowed to spank a kid but cops are allowed to shoot them dead. Wow, our society sure makes sense! If you are 18 or 78. OBEY.

We sure shouldn't pay any attention, or heaven forbid, TALK about abuses of power in our society. Nothing to see, folks. Put your heads back down and keep working and consuming...never question your masters!

Oh please. The OP searched some lefty website searching for something to be offended by. There is a cop-hater thread on here daily.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:11 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
"Poole was never arrested, and there was not a restraining order against her."...
From the article that I linked.

Mary Poole was dropping off treats last year at Kastner Intermediate School. She says the Clovis Unified police officer asked her to leave because of a court order against her.
Seems clear enough to me. If you decide to get into a physical altercation with the police, you should have no expectation of a good outcome no matter what your age. If Ms. Poole got pepper sprayed then most likely she deserved it. It might have saved her from worse.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:24 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
From the article that I linked.

Mary Poole was dropping off treats last year at Kastner Intermediate School. She says the Clovis Unified police officer asked her to leave because of a court order against her.
Seems clear enough to me. If you decide to get into a physical altercation with the police, you should have no expectation of a good outcome no matter what your age. If Ms. Poole got pepper sprayed then most likely she deserved it. It might have saved her from worse.
Did you read the ENTIRE article?

Because although the officer asked her to leave "because of a court order against her" it later says there actually WASN'T one.

And I didn't see anywhere that she started the altercation. Where does it state anywhere that she attacked the officer or gave him justification to put his hands on her let alone pepper spray her or drag her on the ground...?

Also to the person who quoted me to point out that there is a "cop hater" thread on here every day...again, are you saying we should close our eyes and plug our ears any time someone anywhere mentions that police do wrong things? Why should we not talk about it? I think that getting it out in the open is the only way we can ever demand that departments hold the bad cops accountable.

It's not a question of how often this does or does not happen, that an officer uses inappropriate force. It's a question of whether they are held accountable for it, or whether their actions are justified and excused, if not covered up and hidden from public scrutiny. I think that if we, the taxpayers, are expected to pay the salaries of police, we can at least expect that they aren't exempt from the laws we have to follow. And frankly I can't see myself or any civilian I know getting away with beating up and pepper spraying a senior citizen unless said senior harmed or menaced one of us with a deadly weapon or something.

Funny how simply expecting transparency and accountability from those paid by taxpayer funds comes off as "hating cops."

Old 03-02-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Did you read the ENTIRE article?

Because although the officer asked her to leave "because of a court order against her" it later says there actually WASN'T one.....
I did. Did you? It's Ms. Poole who says there is no court order. Obviously it's to her advantage to deny it. The police and school decided otherwise.

If I had to bet my money on whose at fault, it certainly would not be place on the school/police.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:29 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Another cop-hater thread. Nothing to see here.
Yep, another thread questioning police over-reaction to a zero threat citizen. Nothing the cops are always right gang needs to see.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, another thread questioning police over-reaction to a zero threat citizen. Nothing the cops are always right gang needs to see.
A hysterical woman in a school is hardly zero threat. She had no permission to be there, no permission to see those kids, a court order telling her to stay away from those kids, and obviously an intent to drag a family dispute into a school.

I can just imagine how that went down.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A hysterical woman in a school is hardly zero threat.
An hysterical woman in the school ? She had Left the school.

Sure, even a 78 year-old woman can be a potential threat. So that means to the cop, get out the spray and toss her to the ground. I guess that is better than what some of you would do.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
"Poole was never arrested, and there was not a restraining order against her."
The article is wrong. (This is why you do not use websites who name themselves "FTP" as the source.) There was a domestic violence TRO order issued by Fresno Superior Court against Mary F Poole, age 78, on 01-APR-2014 through 28-MAY-2014 ordering her to have no contact with Melisse Poole or her children.

Docket Report Results - Not an Official Document

A new petition for TRO DV was filed on 30-MAY-2014, put in place 08-JUL-2014, and is still in place currently.

There was an additional TRO DV issued ordering Mary F Poole away from Mikayla Poole, filed 19-JUN-2014 and ordered 08-JUL-2014 and still in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events