Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times

Advertisements

McDonalds has been doing bad for a while now.. The ONLY reason they are still in business is because of the tie ins for the happy meals...... Their customer service is rated the worst of any corporation....

Old 03-11-2015, 10:25 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
They do seem to have the only fast food coffee that I like so when traveling they are usually my coffee/pit stop but not for food..

Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
McDonalds has been doing bad for a while now.. The ONLY reason they are still in business is because of the tie ins for the happy meals...... Their customer service is rated the worst of any corporation....
Don't forget they are also everywhere. There are places along in the interstate in the middle of nowhere that may not have anything but a McD's. Their footprint certainly helps.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
They do seem to have the only fast food coffee that I like so when traveling they are usually my coffee/pit stop but not for food..
Yuck, rather drink canned coffee than their super watered down coffee.

Five guys, Shake Shack, even Wendy's have better products than McD. It only cost a little more elsewhere than McD mystery ingredient foods.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,798 times
I know people will call me stupid, but MCD is my go to place for a cheap, fairly healthy lunch if I don't bring something from home. I don't eat burgers there much at all, and their other stuff is too pricey for what it is IMO.

What I buy is their Side Salad with Paul Newman's vinaigrette dressing for $1.39. It used to be $1, but they raised the price this year. It is a good mixed green salad with tomatoes, carrot slices, and different lettuces. Very good for the price.

I also get their Fruit and Yogurt Parfait for $1. Real fruit, yogurt and granola. I usually get a $1 tea also. So for $3.69 I have a healthy lunch. Sometimes I get a chicken sandwich instead of the parfait, also $1. Wish they had a grilled $1 chicken sandwich though.

Their grilled chicken wraps are not bad, but I still don't like paying $4 for them.

I can see that their business is not as much as it was before. I rarely have to wait long at all which is good for me. I think the proliferation of alternatives along with the perception that all of their products are not healthy is what has hurt them. They do have some decently healthy food, but I doubt their primary clientele is interested in a healthy alternative. As a result there is no need to change everything to healthy food, as that would totally tank their business.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yuck, rather drink canned coffee than their super watered down coffee.
haha
I like weak coffee which is why nothing at Starbucks works for me ...

Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Why do you think they are posting disappointing sales? Is there just too much competition these days?
I didn't read the entire thread, but it's simple Capitalism...

...I think they expanded to quickly and broadly. I mean, there is a McDonald's everywhere. I also think that expanding into countries that are not exactly keen to an American diet hurt, too, even though they have menus that are more akin to the local diets: sales are down everywhere. Capitalism by nature needs to continuously expand, hence why it is called Capitalism. At some point it will reach carrying capacity and if it moves beyond that it will implode on itself with the smaller chains raising up to take place at the top. There are over 33K McD's worldwide and weren't they opening something like six new restaurants per day? That is just ridiculous, but points to the fact that at some point there will simply be too many stores to remain profitable. Despite changing eating habits, I believe they are at that point now. And let's face it, no matter how "healthy" Americans get, there will still be plenty who eat at McD's to keep them in business. Doesn't matter though, McD's is still bringing in close to $2Billion per year but I don't think the "smaller" chains like Wendy's or Burger King have been hurting for sales, only McDonald's.

Another thing is that Americans seem to be choosing "fast causal" over total fast food in general.

I like the Fish Filet and can go for a Big Mac once a year, but if I were stuck with total fast food and had the choice I'd go with BK, Wendy's or even Carl's Jr./Hardee's over McD's. However, if really having the choice available, my money will go to Five Guys, Fudruckers, and the like.

Also, McD's has something like a 150% turnover rate (employees, not sales).

Old 03-11-2015, 01:46 PM

464 posts, read 1,043,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
Can anyone recite the menu from the 80's? Big Mac, filet o fish Icy coke french fries, quarter pounder....?
Big Mac, Filet o Fish, Quarter Pounder, french fries, icy coke, thick shakes, sundaes, and apple pie!

Old 03-11-2015, 01:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
We have 6 kids and only one of them likes going there. It always the same with him, plain hamburger, HiC, and three Chocolate Chip cookies. The only thing I like there is the Apple pies and the Strawberry Banana drink. Everyone else in the family prefers In&Out. I prefer Carls Jr. I just don't like In&Outs fries. My all time favorite Burger place is the Habit, but they are a local chain here in Southern California.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Numerous media reports have seized on how bloated their menu is, and the unhealthy image of their food explains why the under 25-year olds who are the core of their customer base have been flocking to chains such as Chipotle in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events