Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 08:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
They are actually doing a lot wrong.

A restaurants goal is to have returning customers and what they are doing is losing thousands of customers a day.
They had a pretty good run.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Their breakfast was?
I still find their preparation of egg and meat English muffin to be top-notch, if a bit overpriced. $3 for one egg, one sausage patty, and an English Muffin? Come on, McD, WTH???
2 sausage and cheese muffins and a large coffee, $3. I'm lovin' it!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post

For Seven: they had a posting alerting emplyees to food costs: the $1 burger {no cheese} cost like $0.12 - $0.15 to make to sell. 'Restaurant industry food cost' is supposed to be about 1/4-1/3 of the retail price..at that rate the $1 burger should only cost about $0.45- $0.60 retail WITH profit already built in! SO the food IS a bit overpriced.

Ignoring the overpriced part and such, just think: If that burger cost them 15 cents to make, there is no way for it to be anything other than crap. I don't care how cheap it is, it's still going to taste like crap. And that is the problem -- their food is just plain poor, worthless quality.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 PM

294 posts, read 372,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Because if they can make something trendy the masses will always go to it and blow it out of proportion how good it is. Chipotle is pretty good, Panera is alright but people would have you thinking it's mind blowing once in a lifetime food experience.

My ultimate pet peeve is sushi, I honestly believe people go out of their way to pretend to like it cause its trendy. Ive tried it from so many places and it is flat out disgusting. Just cause it looks cool doesn't mean its good. It stinks tastes horrible not filling and overpriced. But you know people will do whatever they think is hip.
May I ask what part of the country you live in? Vast swaths of the US only have the most bottom-barrel sushi available for obvious reasons (distance to where the good fish is versus keeping it affordable), and it really can't compare to when you've had it fresh and done right. You may very well have had the "good stuff," and it just isn't for you. But on another forum, I saw someone asking about the best sushi in this small, rural town and I just had to roll my eyes. After living in East Asia and experiencing it in its peak form, even high-end sushi places I've been to in the US (in DC, Saint Louis, etc....) have been rather mediocre.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Is not Burger King losing market share as well? Wonder where the customers are going to..
Whataburger, Five Guys, In and Out, Hardee's, Sonic, Dairy Queen, and several more, none of which are Mc Donald's

Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I really do not get the Chipotle craze. I mean it's okay, but millennial are just obsessed with it. And I don't buy how healthy it is.

We built the burrito my buddy claimed was only "600, maybe 800 calories" in the online nutrition thing. It came out to 1715 calories with chicken. Try it, look up a fully loaded chicken burrito. The Guac alone adds 230 calories. The tortilla 300. If you have barbacoa or Carnitas it can push up to 2000 caloires for a burrito. Even soft corn chicken tacos come in around 1200-1500.
mostly because everyone under age 40 loves burritos but outside of TX and CA you can't get one that doesn't suck anywhere besides chipotle

Old 03-10-2015, 09:51 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I don't think they are doing anything wrong but to expect growth FOREVER is unreasonable. They are very recognizable and no matter how "unhealthy" they are they have a strong customer base. What they aren't is something new and different and whenever they try they fail. Being successful at one thing doesn't mean you will be successful at all things until the end of time. They should probably just accept their limitations and roll around in all the money they make.

I had a fish sandwich from them a week ago and although it was an "on the road" choice it was actually pretty good. I'm always impressed if I get fast food when the breads are soft and warm and the food in hot and it's not all smushed up. It actually looked like the photo on the menu board! LOL!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:57 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I really do not get the Chipotle craze.
Me either !!!
I think it is about on par with Taco Bell..

Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
News report shows very disappointing sales posted recently by Mcdonalds all over the world not just in the US. The new ceo is now taking control and maybe things will change .
Unfortnately, I think the CEO's best strategy is to pretend to be doing "CEO things" long enough such that when he gets the boot, he'll get his severance package of a private jet + millions of $$. On a more serious note... I hope they stopped with the expansions. They're everywhere, but the world is still the same size. Perhaps if we ever expand to the moon or something.

Quote:
What do you think they are doing wrong ?
see opposite of below

Quote:
What can they do better?
cut back on stores. Pay workers better. I'm sure some folks sympathize better with companies that do this, especially since some of the employees may be in similar social and financial status as they are.

Give (at least me) some coupons, as that's when I only visited them. My local store has Filet Of Fish Fridays where they're $1.80 each on Fridays.

Quote:
Is Mcdonalds simply going downhll?
Likely, if not already

Quote:
Peronally I am now vegetarian and into health foods and they offer nothing for me to eat but a small salad or maybe some tea. I grew up with them as a child and used to love them so they still have a place in my heart and I was wondering what others thought?
Heh... Back in college, a few folks got kicks seeing the reactions of vegetarians when they realized their fries were NOT vegetarian

They have a place in my heart too, but only in memories. Not really in being around anymore.

They can't do health food. Grilled chicken and salads only make up 10% of their sales.

I do not think they should try to compete with upscale fast food places like Panera Bread but they can offer some healthier options their food is unhealthy and fattening, I like their idea of hormone free chicken, but I think they should just offer more food for your money. I think they are overpriced for what you get. More dollar menu options would be nice. [/quote]Did they really try to compete with the likes of Panera Bread? That's a bad move.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:52 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
No! Not nearly as much by a long shot.
Mc'D's is the arch-nemesis of Facebookers.

"Increasingly, younger diners are seeking out fresher, healthier food and chains that offer customizable menu options" - yep. And which age group dominates Facebook the most? Younger crowds. They're seeing this propaganda and going with the newly forming 'taboo' of eating at McDonalds.

McDonald's Faces 'Millennial' Challenge - WSJ
Ohh, and folks need to stop providing links to articles by WSJ. Many of us do not subscribe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events