Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 10:54 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times

Advertisements

They're not doing anything wrong, society changes over time.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They're not doing anything wrong, society changes over time.
They are actually doing a lot wrong.

A restaurants goal is to have returning customers and what they are doing is losing thousands of customers a day.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
The food has never been good for you. But it is tasty.

I try hard to avoid places like Walmart and McDonald's. Places that don't pay their workers properly and make huge profits. I also try not to buy products made in places like China.

Seriously, after decades of serving poor food and astronomical profits, it's time for a change. They need to grow up and be a responsible corporation.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The food has never been good for you. But it is tasty.

I try hard to avoid places like Walmart and McDonald's. Places that don't pay their workers properly and make huge profits. I also try not to buy products made in places like China.

Seriously, after decades of serving poor food and astronomical profits, it's time for a change. They need to grow up and be a responsible corporation.
How much do you think McDonald's and Wal-Mart workers should be paid?
I'm sure the ones in more corporate roles get paid more than adequately -- even those in upper management.
However, your typical, entry-level bagger/cashier really isn't doing work that's worth all that much. In addition, no one is forcing people to work there. Many chose to work these places because they hire practically anyone and have a massive turnover rate, so no hard-earned skills or knowledge is needed. Much like other similar-paying jobs: telemarketing, gas station clerk, quite a few machine operator jobs...

Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
So basically...

-The food sucks
-the market is filled with better tasting options at the same price range and McDonald has completely failed to adapt
-The food sucks
-the service is sub par (even by the very low standards of fast food aka you get what you pay for in terms of scraping near the bottom of the barrell for low wage workers)
-The food sucks
-the breakfast menu contains their only redeemable items and for some reason have yet to be made available all day long
-The food sucks

Old 03-10-2015, 11:59 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How much do you think McDonald's and Wal-Mart workers should be paid?
I'm sure the ones in more corporate roles get paid more than adequately -- even those in upper management.
However, your typical, entry-level bagger/cashier really isn't doing work that's worth all that much. In addition, no one is forcing people to work there. Many chose to work these places because they hire practically anyone and have a massive turnover rate, so no hard-earned skills or knowledge is needed. Much like other similar-paying jobs: telemarketing, gas station clerk, quite a few machine operator jobs...

I do not understand why so many people believe that upper management type skills are always more valuable then the skills needed to work the low end jobs? These low wage workers have to be quick and skilled and have great customer service ability. They are the ones that meet and interact with the customers every day and they are the same ones who represents the company to the customers. They can really make or break a customer's experience especially if there is a problem. Watching the show undercover boss shows just how hard some of these jobs really are and it's funny to see how ceos and company presidents cannot do many of those jobs well.

A low wage worker good at their job does have value. And even maybe more so than some managers. It's hard enough to survive on the salary of a low paying job but it's even harder to come to work and do your best every day knowing everyone thinks what you do is unimportant.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I do not understand why so many people believe that upper management type skills are always more valuable then the skills needed to work the low end jobs? These low wage workers have to be quick and skilled and have great customer service ability. They are the ones that meet and interact with the customers every day and they are the same ones who represents the company to the customers. They can really make or break a customer's experience especially if there is a problem. Watching the show undercover boss shows just how hard some of these jobs really are and it's funny to see how ceos and company presidents cannot do many of those jobs well.

A low wage worker good at their job does have value. And even maybe more so than some managers. It's hard enough to survive on the salary of a low paying job but it's even harder to come to work and do your best every day knowing everyone thinks what you do is unimportant.
Typically -- typically -- those who hold upper level positions worked much harder over the years in order to achieve a certain status than those stuck flipping the meat patty, be it through hard years of experience at the entry-level positions, or through education. THAT'S why they get paid more.

I guarantee you my job right now is MUCH LESS exhausting than that of a concrete worker or even a fast food worker. I get paid significantly more. And I feel I deserve it, for all that I had to go through to get here, INCLUDING work at menial, entry-level jobs in my teens/early 20s, school, promotions, etc.

I hope that answers your question (?)

Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
What are they doing wrong? Everything.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
So basically...

-The food sucks
-the market is filled with better tasting options at the same price range and McDonald has completely failed to adapt
-The food sucks
-the service is sub par (even by the very low standards of fast food aka you get what you pay for in terms of scraping near the bottom of the barrell for low wage workers)
-The food sucks
-the breakfast menu contains their only redeemable items and for some reason have yet to be made available all day long
-The food sucks
two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I try hard to avoid places like Walmart and McDonald's. Places that don't pay their workers properly and make huge profits. I also try not to buy products made in places like China..
Do you have any Apple products?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events