Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:51 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
Huh? I live in white neighborhoods and I never get stopped by the police even when I should. I'm black btw. I would hope a police officer wouldn't assume I was up to no good because I'm a black person driving around in a white neighborhood. That makes no sense and I would be weary of a cop that assumed as much in 2015. I know my legal rights and if I get pulled over the first thing I will do is ask why. If there isn't a legal reason then I should be pulled over. Being suspicious because I'm in a white neighborhood is not a good enough reason to pull me over.
You never get stopped, even when you should, but jump to the conclusion that being suspicious because you are in a white neighborhood is not a good enough reason to pull you over. Yet, that has not happened, lol. For someone who never gets pulled over you seem to worry about it more than necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Maybe Chris Rock used the "N" word, used to be his favorite you know. But wait, it was okay, he's a black comedian so no big deal.

Who, being white or anything but black could make those millions using the "N" word in every sentence of jokes?

Hold on Batman, thats different.

Really?

I forgot, Rock has now seen better in his ways and doesn't do that anymore.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times
It's important to know context.

I was pulled over a few times within a few months once. It was because I hadn't renewed my license plates. I kept on meaning to, but didn't get around to it. The cops kept on pulling me over.

I'm white, BTW.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You never get stopped, even when you should, but jump to the conclusion that being suspicious because you are in a white neighborhood is not a good enough reason to pull you over. Yet, that has not happened, lol. For someone who never gets pulled over you seem to worry about it more than necessary.
No I didn't say I worry about it. I said I would be weary of a cop that tried to pull fm over for no reason other than I'm black person in a white neighborhood. That isn't a crime and I should not be pulled over because of it. If I get pulled over because I did something illegally that warranted it, that's one thing, but getting pulled over solely because I'm black? I don't think so. And that's the only problem I have-if a black person is pulled over solely because they are black. Otherwise I have no problem when police do their job. The few times I should have gotten stopped is when I was going above the speed limit. If I got pulled over for that, then I wouldn't have an issue.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Maybe Chris Rock used the "N" word, used to be his favorite you know. But wait, it was okay, he's a black comedian so no big deal.

Who, being white or anything but black could make those millions using the "N" word in every sentence of jokes?

Hold on Batman, thats different.

Really?

I forgot, Rock has now seen better in his ways and doesn't do that anymore.
What does that have to do with getting pulled over? Is it illegal to say the n word in the car?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:54 PM

477 posts, read 509,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Article gives absolutely no information on the police's given reasoning for pulling him over. That's a crucial part of the story that is missing. If you drive with out of date plates, if you run red lights, if you tailgate the **** out of people, if you drive like an ******* in general and do 55 in a 40, that would certainly go towards explaining it.

I guess the immediate assumption is that he was pulled over because he's black, but without the added information, we really don't know what the situation is and can only speculate.
My son gets stopped regularly for no reason whatsoever. And he's only brown, not black. And brownISH at that. Before people decided to be paranoid about anybody who looked remotely "Muslim" (in the dumbest most stereotypical sorts of ways), he would most likely have been mistaken for being Greek, Italian - basically some version of Mediterranean. Or possibly Hispanic.

He has never had a ticket. Not so much as a warning. Nor has he ever been given a reason for being stopped, they just demand his driver's license and registration for no reason.

If it were me, they'd have a hard time getting either without coming up with a reason for stopping me, AND I'd be videoing the whole thing.

I USED to get stopped for no reason, a lot. Basically for DWRAYF - driving while reasonably attractive young female. And I was very cold to idiot cops playing those kinds of games. I once got a $5 seat belt fine for my trouble - I had removed the seat belt in reaching for my wallet out of the glove box, before I realized it was another no-reason stop.

Other than that, they had no reason to stop me so I was fine with embarrassing the hell out of them, insisting on justification for the stop, and rejecting their inappropriate behavior out of hand.

However I was never in any danger of getting shot or dragged out of the car, knocked around, and cuffed. Young brown men - INNOCENT young brown men - ARE. Hence, he never argues with the a**holes - just hands over the license and registration and looks straight ahead.

BTW - He drives a 12 or 13 year old Hyundai Excel. Not exactly a gangsta-mobile.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:07 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Chris just needs to get a CCW permit.

I am a serial speeder. I get stopped all the time. I just smile sweetly at the officer, display as much cleavage as legally permissible without being indecent, present my license and CCW.

And when the officer asks if I have any guns in the car I answer truthfully. "Why yes, officer, I have one on my belt, another in my purse, one on my ankle, two in the glove box, one in the console, and a rifle in the trunk."

"Jesus lady, what are you afraid of?"

"Not a thing officer, not a thing.".

By this time he's forgotten why he stopped me and has no choice but to send me on my way with a warning.

Works every time.

YMMV.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
I tinted my windows.

I get pulled over less with my tinted windows than when the cops could identify me as a black man. In fact, the last time I got pulled over for tint, the cop let me go because he thought I was a white teenager trying to be "cool." (My tint isn't even that dark, either - 30%)

Old 04-02-2015, 07:22 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Chris Rock was pulled over for DWB.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 PM

545 posts, read 594,473 times
Typical crappy ass American journalism here in the 21st century. Doesn't say why he was pulled over, what was the end result ETC ETC ETC....Some 4 year "journalism" graduate from Podunk University!! GEEESH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events