Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 11:54 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times

Advertisements

As long as the stops are legal, I don't know how anyone can automatically come to the conclusion that they are being targeted because of race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
What is Chris Rocks agenda... Id like to know WHY he is being stopped and WHAT he is doing to attract attention to himself.. and sorry.. I wouldnt know him from any other person in the crowd because "well known" people to others may not be well known to me...and I could care less anyway..
I agree with wanting to know WHY he is being stopped, but I stop short of asking, what is his "agenda." Why does he have to have an agenda? He's being pulled over an inordinate amount of times. Surely if he is a speeder/reckless driver or has warrants or expired plates it will come out...but what if none of that is true? What will you say about him then?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:16 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I agree with wanting to know WHY he is being stopped, but I stop short of asking, what is his "agenda." Why does he have to have an agenda? He's being pulled over an inordinate amount of times. Surely if he is a speeder/reckless driver or has warrants or expired plates it will come out...but what if none of that is true? What will you say about him then?
If you are riding passenger with Jerry Seinfeld and JS is speeding and gets pulled over, would you consider it YOU getting pulled over? Most people would not. Obviously, Chris Rock as an agenda here. Personally, I like CR and usually find his bits pretty entertaining.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Wow.. how can anyone be so far off base and not see the evidence.. you are so misguided and blinded by your agenda there is little hope of redemption. Darren Wilson is INNOCENT.. Darren Wilson was deemed innocent by an attorney general who is entrely raced based in his actions.. it doesnt get any more squeaky clean than that

Sad really.. (snippage)
Wow.. very twisted.. sick really,,,
He was not "deemed innocent" - it was decided that there wasn't sufficient evidence to prosecute. That is not the same thing. The only way he could be "deemed innocent" would be if there were evidence to prove that (there was not) and/or if he was brought to trial and found innocent upon presentation of said evidence. This didn't happen only because there wasn't sufficient evidence either way.

And yes, the idea that there is nothing wrong in Ferguson IS sad, twisted, and sick.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As long as the stops are legal, I don't know how anyone can automatically come to the conclusion that they are being targeted because of race.
I'm sure that is often the case.
Another segment may be because black people overall are poorer than any other group in the US. I wonder what percentage of those pulled over were pulled over for equipment violations, expired tags and other things that poor people in society typically get pulled over for.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:26 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
Quote:
The problem is the stops are not legal. That is how you know you are being racially and/or ethnically targeted.

Such illegal stops occur against racial and ethnic minorities the great majority of the time.

Young black men are 3 times more likely to be stopped than are young white men. And having been stopped, young black men are 21 times more likely to be killed - KILLED, not just harassed, arrested, or ticketed, but KILLED - than are white men.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
The problem is the stops are not legal. That is how you know you are being racially and/or ethnically targeted.

Such illegal stops occur against racial and ethnic minorities the great majority of the time.

Young black men are 3 times more likely to be stopped than are young white men. And having been stopped, young black men are 21 times more likely to be killed - KILLED, not just harassed, arrested, or ticketed, but KILLED - than are white men.
Please cite sources

Illegal stops.. according to who? and what metric?
"Killings".... justified/unjustified ...

Old 04-03-2015, 12:37 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:

Please share your sources. Also, the facts leading up to the killings, i.e., drew a gun, etc.

What is your opinion of the man in Baltimore? Was approached by officers, none with guns drawn. Victim proceeded to shoot one of the officers in the face and now that officer is in a coma. The "victim" is dead. Is he one of those innocents you are referring to?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:

Sorry...that doesn't wash. When an officer pulls you over and approaches your vehicle, his job is to explain the reason for the stop. If he issues a citation, and you (the operator) deem the violation as inaccurate, you have a right to challenge that summons in a court of law.

If he doesn't issue you a citation, you have a right to file a complaint if you deem the stop unjustified and you may be granted a hearing in regards to his actions.

Rock has yet to explain what the Officer's reasons were (and I suspect he won't because he is afraid that he will be judged by that AS opposed to earning empathy for being "black").

Nor has he stated that he is taking legal action against the officers in question.

He needs to fess up, so that we can get a better picture of things.

That being said--the race issue is an excuse. If young black men are statistically being stopped disproportionately from white men, it may be in their best interests to not disproportionately commit infractions or to take lethal action towards a law enforcement official.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:19 PM

506 posts, read 426,057 times
Quote:
Every male with dark skin in the USA knows about getting repeatedly stopped and harassed by the police for virtually no reason, ask Stephen A. Smith. There is actual information that shows dark skinned people get stopped, a lot more frequently than light skinned people, but most of light skinned America still wants to pretend that dark skinned America is sharing some sort of collective delusion about this or that dark skinned America deserves to be stopped by the police.

Most of light skinned America has very little experience with being stopped by the police, but by age ten most of dark skinned America is quite experienced with being stopped and harassed by the police for no valid reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events