Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

WTF does the elephant care if they get shot by a big game hunter or a poacher? Dead is dead........

Yep. And the poachers won't care about the sustainability of the resource, wont pay for the hunting and will leave the carcass to rot.

Within 10 years, 20 at the outside, elephants would truly be extinct except for zoos.

These hunts, bison in North America, too, target the oldest, weakest animal. A privilege for which the hunter pays $40K, most of which goes back into that country's wildlife funding.

Something to ponder, in the US the vast majority (nearly 100%) of the funding for both federal and individual states' wildlife management agencies comes from hunters and fisherman through various taxes and fees on licenses and equipment. Not to mention groups like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Wild Turkey Federation, Trout Unlimited, etc. funded conservation projects financed by donation.

Were it not for those most of the wildlife you see wouldn't be around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Case in point, Exhibit A.

Thanks for proving my point.
Exactly, you do care what people eat. So don't make up some BS that you don't because you, I, and everyone else most certainly care what others eat.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I draw a big, BIG distinction between rich people traveling somewhere to slaughter endangered wild species for entertainment or decorative purposes, & domesticated animals, which number in the hundreds of millions & exist solely for food purposes. Also people who hunt/fish responsibly & eat the beast they kill without wasting it are ok, I wouldn't hunt but so what? Deers & rabbits would absolutely destroy the environment if they were allowed to proliferate without any culling. Beef cattle exist solely for the purpose of providing food.
African elephants aren't endangered, I have gone over this many times already in this thread. Deer and rabbits only overpopulate because hunters killed off all of their predators in the first place. How does the amount of money someone makes determine whether hunting is okay or not? If the hunter eats the elephant or gives it to natives does that change anything?

Meat animals live a far more horrific life than an elephant that is hunted.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yep. And the poachers won't care about the sustainability of the resource, wont pay for the hunting and will leave the carcass to rot.

Within 10 years, 20 at the outside, elephants would truly be extinct except for zoos.

These hunts, bison in North America, too, target the oldest, weakest animal. A privilege for which the hunter pays $40K, most of which goes back into that country's wildlife funding.

Something to ponder, in the US the vast majority (nearly 100%) of the funding for both federal and individual states' wildlife management agencies comes from hunters and fisherman through various taxes and fees on licenses and equipment. Not to mention groups like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Wild Turkey Federation, Trout Unlimited, etc. funded conservation projects financed by donation.

Were it not for those most of the wildlife you see wouldn't be around.
We could just pay for conservation out of our tax dollars as we do with national parks.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:50 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
I could never be a vegan.

Every single vegan I've met is angry and/or depressed. They always analyze everything, suffering through their meals.

I like being happy. My friends are all happy, fun people. We enjoy life and we enjoy our food.

Co-inky-dink? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
They tend to be preachy (Iaskwhy is a prime example) and gassy as well (thankfully we are on the internet ).

I'm thawing out a nice rib roast right now that I am going to enjoy this evening for dinner. This particular animal lived on the farm across the road from me and I must say up until the time it was taken down to Potts Meat processing it lived a pretty good life. I saw the cows every day and they spent their days grazing in a very peaceful and beautiful pasture.

There is moral difference between being a professional big game hunting guide and animal husbandry. One man makes (made ) a living taking rich people out into the wilderness and shooting large trophy animals for fun while the other raises livestock to provide sustenance and useful byproducts for manufacturing.

My take on it? Thrill killing is bad. Making a living facilitating thrill killers is even lower than that.
Quote:
Hopefully they are not preachy and "holier than thou" either!!

Just to be clear, I seriously do not care what someone eats. What I cannot stand is those who choose to eat or not to eat <fill in the blank> and then proceed to tell everyone their way is the only "right" way. This can be meat, gluten, carbs, refined sugar, soy, etc.

Thick As Peanut Butter Sound Clip and Quote - Hark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Yes, these are any "true believers" who will preach to you about meat, tea party, Jesus, bee pollen, some guru, green politics or anything else in life that apparently has elevated them above the rest of us in every way except social interactions apparently.
Quote:
Case in point, Exhibit A.

Thanks for proving my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Exactly, you do care what people eat. So don't make up some BS that you don't because you, I, and everyone else most certainly care what others eat.
Nope, I don't care what you eat. I don't care what Bob down the street is preparing for dinner. And I don't care what Betsy next door is throwing on the grill either. I don't care that Vern is a vegan or that Rich is gluten free or that Marti is a low carb eater meat eater. I don't care that Henry is Jewish and eats only kosher or that Wendy is a pagan who eats refined sugar with every meal.

What I don't like is any one of those telling me that their way is the only "right" way.

You don't like meat? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like gluten? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like refined sugar? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like brussell sprouts? Fine. Don't eat them.

But don't you DARE tell me that my brussell sprout salad with poppyseed dressing made with sugar, topped with grilled chicken and whole grain croutons is bad.

Doesn't it get lonely up there on the top of your pedestal?

Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Because ivory is so valuable to some humans, many elephants have been killed for their tusks. This trade is illegal today, but it has not been completely eliminated, and some African elephant populations remain endangered.

National Geographic

Old 04-19-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Nope, I don't care what you eat. I don't care what Bob down the street is preparing for dinner. And I don't care what Betsy next door is throwing on the grill either. I don't care that Vern is a vegan or that Rich is gluten free or that Marti is a low carb eater meat eater. I don't care that Henry is Jewish and eats only kosher or that Wendy is a pagan who eats refined sugar with every meal.

What I don't like is any one of those telling me that their way is the only "right" way.

You don't like meat? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like gluten? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like refined sugar? Fine. Don't eat it. You don't like brussell sprouts? Fine. Don't eat them.

But don't you DARE tell me that my brussell sprout salad with poppyseed dressing made with sugar, topped with grilled chicken and whole grain croutons is bad.

Doesn't it get lonely up there on the top of your pedestal?
You do care if someone practices cannibalism though. You do care if someone kills and eats their infant. You do care if someone kills and eats your pet. You do care if someone eat an endangered animal. So stop lying. You just like everyone else do care what others eat.

Eating chicken is bad. I dared to tell you. You are pathetic.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:05 PM

45,391 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
We could just pay for conservation out of our tax dollars as we do with national parks.
Which are chronically underfunded. What makes you think the money (billions of dollars yearly when it comes right down to it) hunters/fisherman would be replaced from general tax revenues? Not to mention the tourism dollars generated for localities.

USFWS-WSFR Wildlife Restoration Program

http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/P...rtsonFacts.pdf

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/bri...%20economy.pdf

In the 3rd link note how much is spent just in payments to landowners for leases. A practice I don't like, by the way.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM

432 posts, read 359,844 times
I think that many of you are as silly as pigs and chickens, and I'm sure that some of you would be delicious.

But I looked up the "mother tree" that nightbird47 mentioned a few pages up, and that was really interesting (and worth a Google), so thanks for that!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which are chronically underfunded. What makes you think the money (billions of dollars yearly when it comes right down to it) hunters/fisherman would be replaced from general tax revenues? Not to mention the tourism dollars generated for localities.

USFWS-WSFR Wildlife Restoration Program

http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/PDF/P...rtsonFacts.pdf

http://www.nssf.org/PDF/research/bri...%20economy.pdf

In the 3rd link note how much is spent just in payments to landowners for leases. A practice I don't like, by the way.
We should allocate more funding to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events