Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 08:51 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Homosexuality is unnatural. Enough said. It shouldn't be promoted as being equal to heterosexuality. It isn't. We could point fingers and argue all day about those who've "come out of the closet" after living a straight life, but it doesn't change the fact that homosexuality isn't the natural order of things. Just because everybody seems to be "doing it", shouldn't make it acceptable.

If those gay men weren't flamboyant and seeking attention, nobody would know or care what they do to each other. They make it known to us by flaunting it. Don't tell me it isn't being crammed down our throats. It is, by those who have no belief in, or tolerance of God or Christianity.
Your post is utter bovine excrement. My love for my fiancee is natural. If it weren't, we wouldn't be together, and we would both be with guys. I love her for everything she is, a kind caring human being, a hard worker, a smart person, a good friend, generous and caring. It isn't just about sex. Gay people sure don't choose to be with people of the same sex and expose themselves to discriminating people with attitudes such as yours. Why would they willingly do that?

Secondly, no one has been able to show me that homosexuality is a sin. So if you have proof, why don't you offer some? Jesus never said anything about it. And if you want to say it's banned in the Old Testament, then you have to abide by all the other laws in the Old Testament, and some of them are really evil indeed.

Third, homosexuality isn't being promoted. No one is forcing straight people to be gay. If you're heterosexual, great. Enjoy your life and your wife/husband if you have one. We in turn are getting married in another state, and hopefully by the time we get back, the marriage will also be legal in Texas as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:10 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,026 times
Quote:
Oh, please don't pin the behaviors of a few evangelicals on everybody. You know better than that. That's like saying all Muslims are bad because of a few Islamic terrorists.
Quite ironic you would take that stance, considering your posts about blacks and crime.

Doesn't feel good, does it?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:
Homosexuality is unnatural. Enough said. It shouldn't be promoted as being equal to heterosexuality. It isn't. We could point fingers and argue all day about those who've "come out of the closet" after living a straight life, but it doesn't change the fact that homosexuality isn't the natural order of things. Just because everybody seems to be "doing it", shouldn't make it acceptable.
Plastic is unnatural.
Corrective lenses are unnatural.
Synthetic fibers are unnatural.
Blood transfusions are unnatural.
Wristwatches are unnatural.
Gasoline is unnatural.
Domesticated plants and animals are unnatural.

You don't have an issue with any of those things, do you? Thus, you don't really have a problem with homosexuality for that supposed reason that it is 'unnatural' (though given its occurrence in myriad non-human species, it is clearly not unnatural).

You seem to be reaching, and rather unsuccessfully, for a rationalization for your anti-gay stance. This suggests that you don't really have any good reasons for said stance. You might want to honestly ponder that. And as for the 'unnatural' claim, you might want to consider the logical implications of your arguments before you put them forth. If they don't hold up to even a cursory critical analysis, you do yourself no favors by putting them out there.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:03 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Oh please. There are plenty of acts condemned more frequently in the Bible that get a pass today because Christians don't think they apply to them or figure "God will forgive me because Jesus is my savior."
Whether a sin is condemned once or dozens of times is irrelevant, sin is sin. But all of a person's sins are forgiven when someone earnestly repents and seeks Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
The type of person who uses Bible verses to bash homosexuals is one who also happily ignores what the Bible says when it's convenient for them. I don't see too many Christians stoning their disrespectful children to death or Christian women sleeping in a tent in the yard when they're on their period.
And you again engage in the exact same cherry-picking of Scripture that you claim to disdain. Obviously, it was a deliberate act of intellectual dishonesty last time; I erred in giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Scripture is not to be used to bash people, it is to be used to lovingly guide people along the path that God has established for each of us. We are commanded to love our enemies, to turn the other cheek, to share the good news with those who are not saved, and to guide and encourage one another along our spiritual walks.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
I have remained silent in several instances of misinterpreting the Bible in this thread, but the hypocrisy here is too much to leave unaddressed (I'm assuming this was an honest mistake and not a deliberate act of intellectual dishonesty).

Homosexuality, and homosexual activity specifically, is condemned multiple times in both Testaments.

The fact that Jesus never directly addressed homosexuality does not mean that He didn't condemn it. He doubled-down on the condemnation of all sin when He said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19 ESV
Quote:
Whether a sin is condemned once or dozens of times is irrelevant, sin is sin. But all of a person's sins are forgiven when someone earnestly repents and seeks Him.

And you again engage in the exact same cherry-picking of Scripture that you claim to disdain. Obviously, it was a deliberate act of intellectual dishonesty last time; I erred in giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Scripture is not to be used to bash people, it is to be used to lovingly guide people along the path that God has established for each of us. We are commanded to love our enemies, to turn the other cheek, to share the good news with those who are not saved, and to guide and encourage one another along our spiritual walks.
You can't have it both ways. Either every iota and dot of scriptural law is supposed to be obeyed, in which case we're all probably subject to being stoned to death, or, scripture is a loving guide to encourage us on our spiritual walks.

And neither approach challenges the notion that people who rail against gay are most likely consumed by thoughts of gay sex.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I saw a case of this locally in the hometown TN newspaper today, as well as having a friend who went through this years ago. As said, most of the most virulent anti-gay activists are closet gays themselves.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
My late husband once stayed in the car rather than attend a party where there would be a couple or gays. I learned years later he was probably afraid they would recognize something that revealed his same inclination. He was already dead when I came across the information, so I couldn't talk to him about it. He had serious mental problems which may have been related and I don't know if he ever discussed it with his psychiatrist. I doubt he did.

I definitely think men who are rabidly anti-gay are also fighting their fears that they are gay.
I would have to agree. I almost came to blows with a guy when the subject came up and he violently objected to the suggestion that we stop by a local gay owned bar. I was like "WTF, where did that come from".

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Your post is utter bovine excrement. My love for my fiancee is natural. If it weren't, we wouldn't be together, and we would both be with guys. I love her for everything she is, a kind caring human being, a hard worker, a smart person, a good friend, generous and caring. It isn't just about sex. Gay people sure don't choose to be with people of the same sex and expose themselves to discriminating people with attitudes such as yours. Why would they willingly do that?

Secondly, no one has been able to show me that homosexuality is a sin. So if you have proof, why don't you offer some? Jesus never said anything about it. And if you want to say it's banned in the Old Testament, then you have to abide by all the other laws in the Old Testament, and some of them are really evil indeed.

Third, homosexuality isn't being promoted. No one is forcing straight people to be gay. If you're heterosexual, great. Enjoy your life and your wife/husband if you have one. We in turn are getting married in another state, and hopefully by the time we get back, the marriage will also be legal in Texas as well
I don't know about that, as I see enough Lesbians approaching Straight women. Doesn't happen so much among men because of the possible violent response.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why do people think if you disagree with homosexuality, you are secretly gay. Thats as dumb as saying I hate broccoli, so im suppressing my secret desire for broccoli.

Me personally, am tired of all the sissy male behavior I see now...ie super flamboyant men, dressing in drag, or talking like a damn sissy in a feminine voice. I can deal with lesbians, but never take them serious, as they dont seem to know what they want, always have a butch manly mate and wanting children the next second.

Gays make up 3% of the entire population, but we give them so much attention like they make up 50%. What this article is, is a perverted Pastor who got exposed, as the bible says whatever you do in the dark will be exposed.
Well, the entire thread is based on a hypocritical, screaming anti-guy pastor, who (as it turns out) is secretly gay himself.

So this is why we are discussing it.

This ain't the first time it's happened either - but I guess you know that.

Quote:
None of us are casting stones. If you had the Bible knowledge that you think you have, you would know that. We're speaking out on behavior the Bible condemns and warns us to avoid.
Well, actually, the pastor himelf was casting stones.

The bible wants us to avoid a whole lot of things but I notice lots of fundies conveniently overlook them.

It's ok. We get it.

Quote:
I have remained silent in several instances of misinterpreting the Bible in this thread, but the hypocrisy here is too much to leave unaddressed (I'm assuming this was an honest mistake and not a deliberate act of intellectual dishonesty).

Homosexuality, and homosexual activity specifically, is condemned multiple times in both Testaments.

The fact that Jesus never directly addressed homosexuality does not mean that He didn't condemn it. He doubled-down on the condemnation of all sin when He said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19 ESV
So . . talk about hypocrisy. There is a whole heap of condemnation in the OT but I notice fundies never follow it. They do like to talk about the gays a lot though.

Whatevs. We see it.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Sometimes it seems like gays are obsessed with their gay-ness. It's a choice. They made it. Big whoop.

But the pastor needs to practice what he preaches - or stop preaching. Which I guess he has...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events