Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 06:22 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,300,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Quite ironic you would take that stance, considering your posts about blacks and crime.

Doesn't feel good, does it?

I seriously almost fell out, ATG, when I saw that post by Java. LOL! Thank you for commenting on the hypocrisy, as I was too taken aback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Incorrect. The Scripture that commands Jews not to eat pork was given only to the Israelites, not to all persons on earth, as evidenced by language stating such. By contrast, the Scriptures condemning homosexuality and other forms of sexual sin are universal; they do not contain the aforementioned language that limits their scope.
So you abstained from all work, including cooking, cleaning, using electricity or the internet, driving, and reading nonreligious texts yesterday? After all, Shabbat is for all.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 AM

4,157 posts, read 2,850,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Quite ironic you would take that stance, considering your posts about blacks and crime.

Doesn't feel good, does it?
"You must spread some reputation around before etc.. etc..."

Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,172,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Oh, should I have used shellfish as an example instead? The command not to eat them is only a few passages away from one of the ones fundies love to use against gays.

No, you should use an example that doesn't apply only to Jews.

Quote:
Anyway, it's irrelevant.
Quote:
Why does it matter what the Bible says about homosexuals? The Bible is not a source of universal authority and there is the same amount of actual evidence for the Christian deity as for any other. Which is to say none.
If it's irrelevant, why are you so adamantly opposed to Scripture and God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So you abstained from all work, including cooking, cleaning, using electricity or the internet, driving, and reading nonreligious texts yesterday? After all, Shabbat is for all.

I'm not Jewish. Go back and review my previous post where I explain that some of the Old Testament Scriptures were given by God to the Israelites, not to the entire population of the world.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:47 PM

164 posts, read 160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why do people think if you disagree with homosexuality, you are secretly gay. Thats as dumb as saying I hate broccoli, so im suppressing my secret desire for broccoli.
+1

It's basically a kind of wishful thinking by pro-LGBT activists and supporters that there is no such thing as a true homophobe. Technically, it's the fallacy of affirming the consequent predicated on false generalizations.

They jump from "Evidence exists that some gay men are homophobic" to "Therefore, all homophobes are homosexual"; and they lack the expertise to properly interpret findings based on unstratified census/study data.

Last edited by Points of Convergence; 05-24-2015 at 03:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 03:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
[/b]

[b]
If it's irrelevant, why are you so adamantly opposed to Scripture and God?

Being opposed to God is no different than being opposed to Zeus, Ra, Odin or any other mythical figure. The only difference between them and the Christian god is the number of current followers. I have no problem with Christians who live their own lives and mind their own business. I think their beliefs are silly, but it's their life to live. What I am opposed to is people using scripture to force their own beliefs on others.

I'm not Jewish. Go back and review my previous post where I explain that some of the Old Testament Scriptures were given by God to the Israelites, not to the entire population of the world.
So you're not Jewish so you don't have to follow the parts of the Bible that in your mind only apply to the Israelites, but even the non-Christians have to follow the parts that you think apply to everyone? And you don't see the double standard here?

Old 05-24-2015, 03:12 PM

164 posts, read 160,401 times
Quote:
So you're not Jewish so you don't have to follow the parts of the Bible that in your mind only apply to the Israelites, but even the non-Christians have to follow the parts that you think apply to everyone? And you don't see the double standard here?
The transition from Law of the Letter to Ministry of the Spirit (by which Christians are no longer bound to the Levitical Laws) is a central part of Christian soteriology. It's not a difficult concept and there is plenty of material to be found a click and search away.

https://carm.org/christians-bound-by-law

At the very least understanding this will save you from conjuring up the usual repertoire of village atheist arguments.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:45 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,918,485 times
[Quote Slowpoke why are you so adamantly opposed to Scripture and God?end Quote]

There are plenty of people that believe in God but have zero trust that the bible has not been significantly altered for political reasons.

Last edited by AFP; 05-24-2015 at 06:56 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 12:16 AM

159 posts, read 177,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[Quote Slowpoke why are you so adamantly opposed to Scripture and God?end Quote]

There are plenty of people that believe in God but have zero trust that the bible has not been significantly altered for political reasons.
Interesting.

I started from a point of view that agreed with what you say here and went on a web and literature search to confirm just how much the Bible has been corrupted and altered over the millennia. Examining as much as I could find in time constraints, from reputable scholars to dimwits who can't even identify barn door apocryphal works, I've come to the opposite conclusion.

That is not to say that some variations don't exist, such as the Alexandrian codices, but that a clear lineage can be traced to the Koine Greek and Hebrew foundations of text today to the earliest available manuscripts we have to compare them. The odds of this are pretty amazing.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:54 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,172,563 times
Quote:
You don't get to put words into my mouth and then accuse me of a double standard. I never said that non-Christians have to follow the Bible, or parts of it. But I will say that I don't want anyone to go to hell, which is where the souls of those who reject Christ will go.

The parts of Old Testament Scripture that were given specifically to the Israelites only have to be followed by the Jews. You really should find a knowledgeable pastor and ask him to explain to you "the old covenant" and "the new covenant."

And you still haven't addressed why you feel so strongly about something that you claim is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events