Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:18 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,809,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Personally, I dislike the "decent citizens" who think Police should be able to kill some one for nothing and not answer for it.

Personally, I have no sympathy for those who are supposed to "Protect and Serve" and don't.

Everyone seems to want to blame the Black Community and the Prosecutors Office for all the Baltimore turmoil, nut no one seems to care about what really is to blame, which is Police killing an innocent man for nothing. I guess they expect the people to accept that as "No Big Deal."

Ya gotta love that mentality....

Well its not the police doing all the shooting and killing over the weekend was it???

It seems like some people dont want to recognize the black communities own responsibility for the mess they are in. you can continue to blame the police but really you know thats not the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Well its not the police doing all the shooting and killing over the weekend was it???

It seems like some people dont want to recognize the black communities own responsibility for the mess they are in. you can continue to blame the police but really you know thats not the truth.
So the police now stop "harassing" innocent people and just respond to crimes committed and they are still held to blame.

These people still blaming the cops are living in denial.

It seems that "Black lives matter" only when there is a cop to be blamed.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
^Yep, it's typical Race Huckster logic, i.e.
  • Blame Police if they are there
  • Blame Police if they are not there

Old 05-28-2015, 10:06 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
^Yep, it's typical Race Huckster logic, i.e.
  • Blame Police if they are there
  • Blame Police if they are not there
Well thee good new is arrests are way down even if the murders are at a record pace so West Baltimore ghetoists and the Mayor should be very happy with the results of their protests.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,450,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well thee good new is arrests are way down even if the murders are at a record pace so West Baltimore ghetoists and the Mayor should be very happy with the results of their protests.
AND I would be willing to bet the majority of those being killed by the thugs now that the police are responding vs risking someone's civil rights by trying to prevent is ONE less the taxpayers will have to pay support/foodstamps/housing for monthly!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,645,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
More money isn't the solution. Some people know how to be good for nothing. You can't cause internal changes in values systems and the resulting behaviors by throwing money at them. After fifty years of that we should be able to see that we will always have these kinds of problems because it is a human problem and not an economic problem.

The city of Baltimore has been liberal for decades and has a multitude of Black people in all areas of safety, business and government. They have definitely been "allowed" to participate so I don't see how your theory is valid. The same has been true of other liberal cities.

Even more conservative cities have people of other races participating in government, business and safety. There are very few largely populated areas anymore which aren't conscientious about having diverse leadership.

It would be more accurate to say that in any society there are a number of individuals who don't care to participate and in these liberal cities people have mistakenly believed that giving them money and things will change their antisocial behaviors.

green_mariner suggests giving them money to go away. What would that accomplish? They will go somewhere where they feel even less a part of the community. And there I don't see any reason for them not to continue being alienated and angry.

What would make people either more productive citizens or make them move away is if the laws intended to keep people from violent rioting were enforced. Rewarding or ignoring bad behavior is what allows it to grow.

I'm not suggesting that throwing money at a problem is the solution. Nor do I advocate giving money away. However, there are public policy issues that can be put into effect to reduce crime and that does take money. Money that we have been deprived of in building this nation has been wasted building failed nations around the globe. That includes money that could be used by police for equipment and training to maintain order. It is much easier to maintain order than to try and install order when it's out of control. When trust is broken between a community and the police a spike in crime should be expected as criminals seize the opportunity. That is the time when they are most likely going to get away with a crime and not get caught. That is the situation we have in Baltimore now.

As far as Baltimore being liberal your correct. Liberals own this in that they did not implement public policy that would prevent what is happening. And in any Conservative city where this might happen the same could be said. Because the solution is good public policy and it is not liberal or conservative.

High crime rates are not inevitable. High crime rates have not prevailed throughout this country's history. The 40's and 50's had low crime rates. Few subjects have been studied from as many angles as has crime and punishment. So far no one has been able to link crime with DNA. What is interesting about rioting is it was the violent riots during the civil rights movement that helped to bring about social change. It was the use of overwhelming force by police on unarmed civilians that changed opinions.

I agree that ignoring criminal behavior is not a a good solution. Juveniles are committing more serious crimes at an earlier age. If not too serious they are not punished in the current system for the first offence. They get a free pass. That is a form of encouragement.

Here is what we know, that is generally agreed upon, about who commits violent crimes according to the Economic Theory.

https://www.richmondfed.org/publicat...s_of_crime.pdf

1) the poor and uneducated
So if you are a teenager who is poor and uneducated your high on the list and public policy needs to address this.
2) unemployment is a factor
People who are working and meeting their needs are not as likely to be involved in crime.
3) Where family structure has broken down , parents on drugs or alcohol, children neglected by one or both parents.

The solutions that seem to work in other communities are education, and employment. That is also where you find greater family values. If you don't take action when they are young and shape their values you most certainly will deal with them as adults in the future.

Boston is another liberal stronghold and yet they are winning awards for the programs they have implemented and the statistics show a dramatic improvement. It took time money and a lot of hard work but they thought the people of that city were worth it, maybe that is the real difference.
Boston Strategy To Prevent Youth Violence -- Boston, MA

Last edited by phma; 05-28-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The solutions that seem to work in other communities are education, and employment. That is also where you find greater family values. If you don't take action when they are young and shape their values you most certainly will deal with them as adults in the future.

Boston is another liberal stronghold and yet they are winning awards for the programs they have implemented and the statistics show a dramatic improvement. It took time money and a lot of hard work but they thought the people of that city were worth it, maybe that is the real difference.
Boston Strategy To Prevent Youth Violence -- Boston, MA

Sounds like this is a good example that other communities need to try. First you need authorities (major, etc...) that are interested in improving things and not just their own bank account. I'm thinking someone needs to go in a clean house - starting with the current mayor.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 PM

932 posts, read 899,092 times
Nobody cares about the murders. Just thugs killing thugs. Let them kill themselves off!

And to clarify there will always be crime. The reason for the protest is because the people you pay and entrust is the same people killing you and then they cover it up and get off with no consequences!

Regular crime in the neighbor there are consequences because people get caught and go to jail

And there have been multiple protest in regards to black on black crime but right not that is not the issue at hand

Old 05-28-2015, 12:37 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
AND I would be willing to bet the majority of those being killed by the thugs now that the police are responding vs risking someone's civil rights by trying to prevent is ONE less the taxpayers will have to pay support/foodstamps/housing for monthly!
Don't know if you saw but someone posted the race of the victims this month and it seemed more or less about 90% black victims murdered.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:41 PM

932 posts, read 899,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Baltimore will become a wasteland like large portions of Detroit and St. Louis. They will be sending in the bulldozers to push down the rubble.

Well. It seems that may happen anyway.
Been that way. Baltimore been bad since bread was invented

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've had foster parents tell me they get around $1000/month/kid plus Medicaid, EBT and FARM for them. There was a cottage industry of foster parenting in my (now former) school system a few years ago with people fostering 10 or 12 kids at the same time.
my mom foster children. First year she got like 10k afterwards I think its like 5k per child or more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Don't know if you saw but someone posted the race of the victims this month and it seemed more or less about 90% black victims murdered.

Mostly thugs in the drug trade. Nobody cares. Let them thugs kill themselves off to make the city better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events