Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Results speak for themselves.
  • Police demonized by local leadership, media & race hucksters
  • Police can no longer do basic police work
  • Thugs take over
  • Violent crime takes off.
Baltimore murder rate rises sharply in wake of Freddie Gray's death as arrests plummet
That was New York City's trajectory under Lindsay and the ineffectual Beame in the mid-60's through most of the 1970's. That's how Bronx burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 AM

277 posts, read 365,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
In cop talk they let the population "blow off steam" before they go back in. It would be a danger to precious manpower, money and have zero effect when they interrupt riots at these levels too early. Rioters and sympathizers have to realize what they are doing by themselves, even at the expense of local shop owners and public property. Otherwise the police, firemen and medics will become targets.

Compare it to a child who throws a fit. Go to your room and come back out when you are normal. Here the kids have guns and matches though.

You obviously know ZERO about mob psychology and behavior. The manner in which Baltimore handled this situation is completely contrary to all proven effective methods and tactics for quelling riots. There is no such thing as letting them "blow off steam." We have seen time and time again that allows the situation to escalate and victimizes small business owners who have their businesses looted and destroyed. Letting them "blow off steam" results in far more injuries, property damage and incites further civil unrest.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
It shows that when the Police may be needed the most they will not be there. They have put their own self-interest above the public interest. It is a failure of leadership at all levels and points to the need to clean house. The privet sector employee would be fired if he failed to do his job. Why should the public sector be paid to do nothing ? It's a form of Blue Flu. If it becomes acceptable it points to the breakdown of society in need of reform.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:14 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Sounds like Stan gets it. Violence begets more violence.

You wont see mass riots in China. The first guy who stands in front of a tank is taken away and never heard from again. Stop it before it starts.

But we have rights in this country and they can be exploited and twisted for destructive aims.

The problem I see with letting people destroy things is then taxpayer money is needed to rebuild. Don't rebuild and the destroyers will move into new areas to destroy.

I assume the Baltimore police force feels betrayed and is acting on those feelings. That's understandable. What I worry about is how much this will serve our current government's agenda to have a nationalized police force.

It's in the works right now and if we have enough incidents of making the police look ineffective that will be used as a good reason to implement it.

A national police force would serve the goals of whichever party is in office and would be dangerous to us all, both left and right. Actually it could be used to service the ideas of a single man as happened in Nazi Germany. I think a lot of people don't understand that but a brief study of communist history would demonstrate the danger pretty rapidly.

This is a frightening trend for our liberties - all of us.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:07 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Maybe we could put all these POS in a stadium and let them kill themselves and then have a huge bonfire when they are done to cremate the bodies...

Heck let's do this in every city....

Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The politicians are to blame for this. As they have decided to side with the thugs as supposed to the police. I am hoping that this spreads to other areas where policing is done in the ghetto. I do feel bad for the good people who inhabit the hood. It may be a good thing to motivate them to better their circumstances.
Do you honestly think that people living in the ghetto do not want better circumstances? As one who grew up in the projects, I know that most people living in bad neighborhoods do not see a way out, so they need to be shown the way out, and they need a little help. Working requires access to public transportation at the minimum, baby sitters, etc, If you are an unwed mother, taking time off from shift work to go to PTA meetings is next to impossible, etc. If you castigate a woman because she has children out of wedlock, reliable birth control requires $$$ and time. Hopefully, you see the point.

I am the first person in my immediate family to go to college, but this was not due to any parental prodding. I was encouraged by a member of the Salvation Army to go to college.I found a way to do this when loans and tuition were not so expensive. Without the Salvation Army's encouragement, I would not be the person that I am today. Dangling hope in front of a person costs nothing, and the rewards can be great.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
It shows that when the Police may be needed the most they will not be there. They have put their own self-interest above the public interest. It is a failure of leadership at all levels and points to the need to clean house. The privet sector employee would be fired if he failed to do his job. Why should the public sector be paid to do nothing ? It's a form of Blue Flu. If it becomes acceptable it points to the breakdown of society in need of reform.
I mean, I agree with this to some extent - but I can also see where the police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Somewhere in here - there should be a happy medium.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:48 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Do you honestly think that people living in the ghetto do not want better circumstances? As one who grew up in the projects, I know that most people living in bad neighborhoods do not see a way out, so they need to be shown the way out, and they need a little help. Working requires access to public transportation at the minimum, baby sitters, etc, If you are an unwed mother, taking time off from shift work to go to PTA meetings is next to impossible, etc. If you castigate a woman because she has children out of wedlock, reliable birth control requires $$$ and time. Hopefully, you see the point.
The point that I see you making is that it's always someone else's fault.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
Quite agree!

what demented sicko would kill a 1 and 2 year old?? Horrible.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post

I am the first person in my immediate family to go to college, but this was not due to any parental prodding. I was encouraged by a member of the Salvation Army to go to college.I found a way to do this when loans and tuition were not so expensive. Without the Salvation Army's encouragement, I would not be the person that I am today. Dangling hope in front of a person costs nothing, and the rewards can be great.
More mentoring. That would absolutely help. Kids seeing examples of successful men and women who made it out of the the ghetto.

A positive trend that I have seen here in Nevada is that fathers are just as likely to get custody of children as the mom, and I see a lot of guys stepping up to the plate. I wish the out of wedlock birth rate would go down altogether, but I'm pleased to see fathers in the picture.

More needs to be done on sex education and easy access to birth control. Also, the way the TANF system is set up now ( TANF = cash welfare) rewards bad behavior. It encourages multiple out of wedlock births, because having a husband in the home is almost an immediate disqualified for any help, and if you don't have any minor children, the only way to get cash aid is to get pregnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events