Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 04:31 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
First, the people you listed are not killers but murderers.

There is a distinct difference, as recognized by the law. That difference can be getting the needle or the chair and leaving court a free man. One can commit homicide (the killing of a human being) in self-defense and be completely justified in the eyes of the law and go free but one can never commit murder and be found justified in the eyes of the law and go free.

Second, most of these murderers used legally obtained firearms to commit their crimes.

So maybe, if we made it just a little bit harder to obtain firearms (or at least, certain classes of firearms) through universal background checks, psychological screening, etc., a couple or more of these sprees (like Lanza and Seegrist, for starters) may have been prevented or mitigated.
Didn't Lanza steal his mom's gun?

Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Didn't Lanza steal his mom's gun?

Yes, after he killed his father in NJ. He was a special piece of work. I am unaware of a single mass killing executed with a legally obtained gun.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:39 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck's Dad View Post
Yes, after he killed his father in NJ. He was a special piece of work. I am unaware of a single mass killing executed with a legally obtained gun.
Dylan Storm Roof.

The gun was a birthday gift from his father.

Now you know.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:43 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:
First, the people you listed are not killers but murderers.

There is a distinct difference, as recognized by the law. That difference can be getting the needle or the chair and leaving court a free man. One can commit homicide (the killing of a human being) in self-defense and be completely justified in the eyes of the law and go free but one can never commit murder and be found justified in the eyes of the law and go free.

Second, most of these murderers used legally obtained firearms to commit their crimes.

So maybe, if we made it just a little bit harder to obtain firearms (or at least, certain classes of firearms) through universal background checks, psychological screening, etc., a couple or more of these sprees (like Lanza and Seegrist, for starters) may have been prevented or mitigated.
Everyone that I listed went on a killing spree (even though a few killed some people they knew, they also killed innocent strangers in the viciinity and/or killed police officers or military police trying to stop them). For those that didn't simply only go on a completely-indiscrimate killing spree, even if they directed their killings at persons they knew, they also killed others who just happened to be in the vicinity at the time or also kiiled person at other locations rather indiscriminately. That is, they went of a kiling spree. They all fit the category of "killers", though they do have nuances of difference between them. For instance, James Holmes, John Allen Muhammed, Adam Lanza, and Sylvia Seegrist killed a host of complete strangers indiiscriminately in a killing spree . . . whereas Omar Thornton killed his bosses at work plus others indiscriminately at work. Post office killers kill whomever happens to be at the post office they work for or used to work for . . . so it is part killing of known persons and part killing of unknown persons or persons they may know but whom they had no past beef or conflict with (in other words, they also indiscriminately kill others who just happen to be there at the time).

Old 06-25-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Dylan Storm Roof.

The gun was a birthday gift from his father.

Now you know.
Good catch. Honest question, is this the first/only legal gun in a mass killing?

In the previous national news stories it seemed to always identify that the gun was stolen or obtained illegally, hence my comment - I truly was unaware of a legally obtained gun used in a mass killing.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Good catch. Honest question, is this the first/only legal gun in a mass killing? .
I believe they have been mostly legal.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,988 times
Quote:

There is no report of Adam Lanza killing his father in New Jersey nor anywhere else. His father (divirced from his mother and living separately at another Connecticut location) lived on and has been in newspaper and TV interviews and talk shows since Adam Lanza's suicide.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
There is no report of Adam Lanza killing his father in New Jersey nor anywhere else. His father (divirced from his mother and living separately at another Connecticut location) lived on and has been in newspaper and TV interviews and talk shows.
Sorry, it was his mom I was thinking of and posted it was his dad.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:03 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I believe they have been mostly legal.
Yea columbine shooting is where they used illegal guns. Their friend brought an gun and Tec-9 gun was illegal brought by them from a shady gun dealer.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 PM

2,070 posts, read 892,524 times
Quote:
Elliot Rodger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events