Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times

Advertisements

The real question Vice should be asking themselves is why are so many mass shootings committed by young atheist men? They love to praise atheism on that site so I'm surprised they didn't catch on to their own hypocrisy.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:31 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Or they've been told that as white men they should be on top of the world, but are losers instead so they blame everyone.
That is palpably false. Our culture reeks of misandry.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Because it is the ghetto. People expect to get killed in the ghetto. Places like that, it is nothing new and if the news was covered there every single time, there would be little time to report other things. A mass shooting, however, is shocking to everyone. Few people expect to getting shot and killed in a suburban school that has very few minorities. Very few people expect to be shot to death in church. Those things shock people. Getting murdered in the ghetto, as sad and tragic as it is, is expected. It doesn't really shock anyone that it happens there.
Actually that's not entirely true. I take it you're speaking of national news, but here in Philly where there's been two incidents involving kids in the past couple of weeks, it's been the number one local news item. People are appalled. They want these dudes caught.

Also, there are reports of any shooting no matter what neighborhood. There are also numerous events set up to protest senseless violence in all neighborhoods. By people of all races.

The issue as I see it is that there's a system in place in the super poor hoods that exists outside the law and is how kids are brought up to survive. The schools are terrible, education is nil, the residents barely go beyond their own block so they don't aspire to anything much other than their own neighborhood hierachy. That's the way to family, money and survival. It's an incredibly harsh and stressful environment that young children live under on a daily basis. When you have a drug addicted, gang driven, all beefs solved with violence lifestyle you're going to have to adapt or die. Unfortunately there are few people that escape the cycle. There are a lot of inherently good people that are stuck there. There are older generations that have lived in one house their family has owned for multiple generations that have seen their block go to hell over drug turf and disrespect violence. But it's their home. They don't want the stress and crap any more than anyone else would.

I believe the answer is not necessarily money, it's mentoring and education for the kids before they get sucked into the whole vicious merry go round.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:39 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That is palpably false. Our culture reeks of misandry.
The culture doesn't actually work that way, though. Male privilege in the real world is still a real thing.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Because we commit so few other crimes as a percentage of the population that when we do commit them, we go big.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:53 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The issue as I see it is that there's a system in place in the super poor hoods that exists outside the law and is how kids are brought up to survive. The schools are terrible, education is nil, the residents barely go beyond their own block so they don't aspire to anything much other than their own neighborhood hierachy. That's the way to family, money and survival. It's an incredibly harsh and stressful environment that young children live under on a daily basis. When you have a drug addicted, gang driven, all beefs solved with violence lifestyle you're going to have to adapt or die. Unfortunately there are few people that escape the cycle. There are a lot of inherently good people that are stuck there. There are older generations that have lived in one house their family has owned for multiple generations that have seen their block go to hell over drug turf and disrespect violence. But it's their home. They don't want the stress and crap any more than anyone else would.
Despite being a black kid in a time and area of segregation, I was also an Army brat. That means even though we lived off the installation "in the 'ville," it was still always in whatever the "middle class" area was for blacks, where black military families and other employed, two-parent black families lived. In other words, I had a very ordered life as a child. After a full career in the military myself, even my adult life has been well-ordered. My kids have mostly lived on-base--100% employment and the tightest "HOA" rules you'll ever see--so their lives have been well-ordered. "Sergeant Jones, if you can't control your children, I order you off base by Friday."

So to me, the black urban experience is actually as alien as life on Mars. Yet, as I see even in these City-Data threads I'll always be painted with the same brush as any other black person, so it has behooved me to apply the same intelligence analysis skills to urban areas as I've learned to apply to foreign countries. "You have to look at the game from the other side of the board."

Of course, I've known black people who grew up in those areas and made it out and up. I listen to their horror stories and mainly think, "Dang, you're a better man than I am." Those are people who are more exceptional than we want to think a person must be--more exceptional than they may even realize themselves.

Quote:
I believe the answer is not necessarily money, it's mentoring and education for the kids before they get sucked into the whole vicious merry go round.
It starts too early and is too absolutely pervasive. You made the point yourself: " It's an incredibly harsh and stressful environment that young children live under on a daily basis. When you have a drug addicted, gang driven, all beefs solved with violence lifestyle you're going to have to adapt or die."

I don't know how that can be reversed except to remove them from the environment entirely--otherwise, the average kid sees the rest of the world as alien to him as life on Mars. The average kid cannot conceive in his gut, in the ancient reptilian part of his brain, I don't think, of the well-ordered world I knew as anything other than science fiction, as anything truly attainable for him.

Not unless you get him out of that culture of chaos and into a culture of order.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-26-2015 at 09:03 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 09:03 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
American churches specialize in teaching young males that violence is an option. There are a couple of current threads in this forum in which someone has suggested that maybe Christians should practice non-violence...and the bulk of American Christians say "Jesus told us to buy guns!"
Not true. Nowhere does Christians say this. You are a better person than to post this nonsense.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:04 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Quote:
The culture doesn't actually work that way, though. Male privilege in the real world is still a real thing.
Well female get less severe sentences than male compare to their male counterparts for the same crime.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:12 AM

325 posts, read 486,934 times
White are like 60-70% of the population, that's why. Proportionally, they murder far less than blacks.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Just a suggestion. Stop trying to turn everything in life into a struggle between the "good guys" (in your mind, conservative libertarians) and the "bad guys" (liberals and progressives). I know children in grade school who realize the world isn't quite that simple.
My libertarian (small 'l', please) don't involve using the government's legal monopoly on the use of coercion to force my views on anyone else. That's something that can't be said about most of the so-called "progressive" agenda.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-26-2015 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events