Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Isn't that the "typical kid in america these days" according to stereotypes...all I hear about is people bemoaning about how most kids are stuck inside playing games or on the internet all the time. And it seems like a lot of people seem to have unchecked mental illness too...
Not at all typical. Do some research on Lanza. There's plenty out there, police information released, some medical info, his family has spoken out about him. Pictures of his bedroom. He was an extreme case of isolation and being too into video games/the computer, along with mental illness that went untreated, not at all typical of stereotypical American kids nowadays.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:48 PM

224 posts, read 273,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
The per capita violent (and property) crime rates in meth stricken small towns is off the charts. Many of those town are close to 100% white. I was looking at the crime comparison numbers on a reputable site (Best Places dot Net) and noticed outrageous crime (both property and violent crime) in places such as:

Rural/suburban Lakeport, CA (1% black) with a violent crime rate equal to Los Angeles and property crime much higher.

Notoriously "white" Crossville,TN (0.14% black) with a violent crime rate near nearly equal to Atlanta and a property crime rate that dwarfs Atlanta's.

92% white/5% black Portsmouth Ohio with a property crime rate off the charts even compared to Detroit or Memphis and a very high violent crime rate to go with it.

This list could go on for days.

True, but when you turn on the 6 o'clock news, the crimes scenes you will see publicized more often are those in predominantly African-American or Latino neighborhoods.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:22 PM

224 posts, read 273,445 times
Why the rash of mass shootings by young white men?

Who knows? But probably because we ALL live in an age of dwindling expectations.

And at least some white people are aware that they have long benefited from white privilege (spoken and unspoken) that long enabled them to live in any neighborhood they could afford to, go to public schools that were better-funded than schools in predominantly African-American or Latino neighborhoods or Native American reservations, get and maintain better-paying jobs than people of color, not have to constantly worry about being pulled over by overzealous cops, etc. And with this nation's economic collapse of the last 30 years (with the exception of the rich), as well as general right-wing hostility toward President Obama (for some, it's nothing more than the fact that a black man lives in the White House instead of being one of its housekeepers) and the words of some pundits who urge their mostly white listeners and readers (directly or implicitly) to blame everything on black people and/or on the liberals who make things easy for blacks at the expense of whites (as they like to say), a lot of white people feel that they are rapidly losing "their" country (which some of their ancestors took from the natives who were here first) and, whether out of fear or hatred of people of color, or both, some lash out, in much the same way that many Southern white people in the post-Civil War-South formed vigilante groups like the Ku Klux Klan and went around lynching black people, partly out of a misguided desire for revenge, and partly to intimidate other black people who had received, along with freedom from slavery, a few political rights and social freedoms--in fact, there were black people being elected to public office in some places in the 1870s, and that certainly infuriated and/or scared several whites in the South and elsewhere.

Also, I think our American sense of individualism-over-all is a factor. By that, I mean the idea that "in order for me to succeed I must run over other people to prevent them from snatching my spot in the upper echelon." And racists have always been successful at portraying, for example, workplaces' hiring of black, Latino, etc. persons as preventing white people from getting those jobs, especially with the advent of Affirmative Action programs in the 1960s and '70s, never mind that before such programs, ONLY white people were afforded the opportunity to get good-paying jobs with lots of benefits. Many companies only gave the lowest-paying, most labor-intensive and/or most hazardous jobs to people of color, if they hired them at all.

And when times are tough, most people tend to look out for only their best interests. Many blacks only want to look out for other blacks, many whites only want to look out for their fellow whites, etc. Or at the very least, many will identify with others like themselves in a "closing ranks" fashion and some will take this tendency to extremes, viewing members of other national, ethnic, etc. groups as being a threat to their own group and, by extension, to themselves.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,668,494 times
19 pages and the OP hasn't made a comment except for his opening post..definition of a troll I say..let it go folks..btw, that Tunisian gunman that killed 39..white?..I think not.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:27 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,671,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Seems to stem from psychological issues mixed with some sort of extremism.
Exactly. There is something to do with how they are raised. I have said, nobody pops out of the womb being that dysfunctional. I blame those who affect the minds of young people and look what we get. There exists so much mental illness...

(Mind you, I had only gotten up to and responded to the 3rd post at this point).

Old 06-27-2015, 05:37 AM

72,985 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
40 million divided by 2(women generally don't count in these things), and then take into effect that it was 6000 in one year and if we look at the entire lives of people the % goes way up..
The percentage still stays at far less than one percent of the Black male population. One percent of 20 million Black men = 20,000. Considering that about 500 Black on Black murders involved female perpetrators, that takes it down to about 5500 Black on Black murders committed by men.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:43 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
BTW, the overreaction by the Political Correctness Nazis (PCN's) by attacking the Confederate Flag and firing underwear cop is setting the stage for more of these type shootings I'm afraid. The PCN's are still trying to destroy a culture they haven't been able to destroy for 150 years without success.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:51 AM

72,985 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
BTW, the overreaction by the Political Correctness Nazis (PCN's) by attacking the Confederate Flag and firing underwear cop is setting the stage for more of these type shootings I'm afraid. The PCN's are still trying to destroy a culture they haven't been able to destroy for 150 years without success.
The very fact that you have to use insults shows a lack of logical thinking. There is a reason I don't see it the way you do.

1) It is stated in the Articles of Secession several times that there was a desire to maintain slavery, and southern states were prepared to secede for that reason. The USA never used the desire to maintain slavery to rebel against Great Britain.

2) That "culture" you speak of is a culture of treason. Lee and Davis swore under oath to protect the USA. They went against the USA, and by that, committed treason. It is a culture that needed to be done away with a long time ago.

The Civil War is over. The CSA lost. Time to move on.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 AM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The very fact that you have to use insults shows a lack of logical thinking. There is a reason I don't see it the way you do.

1) It is stated in the Articles of Secession several times that there was a desire to maintain slavery, and southern states were prepared to secede for that reason. The USA never used the desire to maintain slavery to rebel against Great Britain.

2) That "culture" you speak of is a culture of treason. Lee and Davis swore under oath to protect the USA. They went against the USA, and by that, committed treason. It is a culture that needed to be done away with a long time ago.

The Civil War is over. The CSA lost. Time to move on.
You are focused on slavery and I agree that it had to be destroyed and would have been without a war but at least that one very great thing came out of the Civil War.

But the concept of a state separating from the USA if they decided to do so is not treason, it is patriotism in the same way the USA separating from Great Britain was. But the culture I'm talking about of the South is based on family, religion, shared values...the attempts to destroy that will be fought.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,279,929 times
White guys especially when young are more likely to end up being the socially rejected beta male who ends up having a chip on his shoulder after getting picked on enough by his peers for being this way... being different is tough in a society where being different still really isn't tolerated. This can lead to said person 'going postal' ....

In any case far more young black males are apt to use violence as a solution to their problems as a percentage of their respective populations.. they typically don't do 'mass' shooting though.. it's usually just one person who looked at them the wrong way or 'disrespected' them in some way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events