Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 01:44 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The culture doesn't actually work that way, though. Male privilege in the real world is still a real thing.
The culture does indeed work that way: "womens studies" , Title IX, and the stock media representations of men as either bumbling idiots or bloodthirsty rapists/killers.

"Male privilege" is always cited, until it's time to defend the country, fight the fires, and pick up the check. Then anti-male bias has a way of fading away...and males are privileged to step forward. Then, when it's safe to do so again, our culture brings out the neanderthal insults and mocks the males.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,035 times
I had a good friend (non-white, non-black) go schizo on me back around the time we graduated from school around the time a black man shot up a Long Island Railroad train.

My friend was not a violent person but somehow came to believe that the mafia were following him for some incident that happened to him.

I'm not sure how a single incident could trigger an episode, but he was always slightly different and I'm pretty sure his father was a bit different also.

Although he was not a violent person, I could see that the unstable mind could make virtually any kind of connection and rationalize just about any behavior. Having a gun in his house would have been easy for someone with his state of mind to make some connection with that gun and it would quickly escalate into a violent situation even for a non-violent person like my friend.

here's a fascinating article I found looking up crime statistics:

Suicide by mass shooting

Old 06-26-2015, 03:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,354,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Have to echo your sympathies, but a lot of latter-day Puritans get rattled when it's mentioned that the only male present at Sandy Hook Elementary that day was a janitor. And expect a firestorm if the phrase "henhouse mentality" is invoked.

I don't believe that arming teachers is a safe, or effective remedy. But I firmly believe that the presence of one or two male teachers in the upper grades (as was common practice when I was a primary-schooler) might have changed the outcome, simply because men and women think differently in crisis situations when working together.
WOW.

Is it still the 1950's? Ozzie, time to come home. This is archaic crap. Plenty of women have saved lives and plenty of stupid men have taken them. And vice versa. You betray your obsolescence. I'm not a Puritan, and I am certainly not a fool. I know plenty of mothers who handle crises each day while the husbands break down in blathering. 70 percent of the spouses of cancer survivors leave them. Oh, wait, I got that wrong. 70 percent of HUSBANDS leave their wives after cancer. Know how many women do? 30 percent. I guess that's just a natural inborn failure of your kind.

See? It sucks when someone shoves you into a stereotype. How you like that box? Probably not so much. There is more room there than in your bottom, where your head seems safely lodged.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:36 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,274,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
I kind of meant weapons in general. A lot of white kids who "mass shoot" usually come from some sort of background where guns are prevalent. But in the inner city it's just a handgun here or there. If more weaponry was available to young black males within society, then they'll likewise do more mass shootings. Too many stories of young black males who took a simple handgun to school, with the same motives as a white mass shooter, but, all they could get their hands on was a handgun. So instead of mass shooting, they likely just single out their main target or, just get discouraged altogether.
Speculating and assumption much?
Nothing you said proves that black males would go on mass shooting sprees. Guessing that they would if they had the same access is a pretty weak statement especially without credible evidence that can back it up. How do you know that the black males bringing guns to these schools have the intent to kill as many as possible? How do you know that the target isn't specific gang members, or a specific person and is related to gang/drugs versus just killing for unstable emotional reasons with the intent to kill as many in a vicinity as possible? Comparing young black males to young white males when the killing between the groups tend to happen for differing reasons is sort of moot. And you don't know what would happen if assaults were accessible to more black kids the same way I can't speculate that if there were more white gangs in areas of concentrated urban poverty that they would begin killing each other just as much. Neither of us can conclude either thing because we don't know.

Everyone that answered this thread but brought up black males completely deflected from the ops question. The question isnt about young black males its about young white males and WHY they tend to be the main ones involved in killing sprees. Bringing up black males doesnt answer the Question it deflects it and places the focus on another group.

-------
Back to the op:

It's been established to most people's glee that black males commit more murders than other groups and being from chicago and personally knowing two guys that were in opposing gangs as well as frequently hanging out on the west side of chicago and the south side and knowing inside details about specific shootings they were always gang/drug/territory/personal family beef-related. The shootings didnt happen because Overtime they realized they wanted to kill all these people for random reasons-the shootings that happen in these areas always have specific reasoning that pertains to what I mentioned above with gangs, etc. Innocent bystanders killed in the middle usually are always in the wrong place at the wrong time or witnessed a crime and had to be done off as a result.
The killings are rarely as simple as "baby mama" or "sneakers" and in those cases it's usually very personal conflict between both parties prior to it happening or they are killing that person not just for the sneakers but because they can make money off them and its about figuring out the quickest easiest way to make money to survive. Ask me how I know-and I can tell you that I personally know people that have done grimy things like this to survive. Now of course there are petty kills and there's no debating that this makes up some of the crime but the majority of it is related to gangs, drugs, survival/needing money, territory and deep family beef that is a long time coming.

If you isolated black male crime and looked at the areas where its happening it's always in the ghetto. The black males living in middle class or upper middle class homes arent doing this. Sadly there is a siginificant portion of black generational poverty and in areas where this is concentrated like urban cities you will see large amount of violence.
still none of this has to do with the op. Clearly since white males tend to do these crimes more than other groups the focus should be on them right? Or is it that some of you can't resist finding a way to make it seem less bad because "well hey the blacks are doing it more" problem is it is completely irrelevant because this thread is not about black males.

Nice deflecting though guys.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM

716 posts, read 1,238,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
As for the topic, I think the issue is untreated mental illness. I always go back to Adam Lanza and how appalled I am that he lived like he did, with black garbage bags covering his windows, bare white walls with no decorations and barely any furniture in his room, holed up on his computer, known mental illness but off his meds, and his mother did NOTHING about it. I know he killed her and she was a victim of his, but she is NOT blameless. I cannot believe what she allowed to go on in her own house, with him. And she enabled him by buying him guns and giving him what he wanted, and allowing her son with a known and untreated mental illness to hole himself away in his bedroom and play video games and f*** around on the computer and lock himself away all day. That is preventable. 20 kids and what is it, 9 adults?, would still be alive right now, including herself, if only she had done right by him. He was literally planning the attack in her own home and she let him do what he wanted. It's disgusting. And yes, his father and even his brother are also culpable. They no longer lived with Adam, but they are both grown adults and they all knew of his issues and no one did anything about it. They left that mother alone with him and washed their hands of him. Out of sight, out of mind.

Bottom line - we need to handle mental illness better in this country. I'm no expert, so don't ask me how, but I know something needs to change.
Isn't that the "typical kid in america these days" according to stereotypes...all I hear about is people bemoaning about how most kids are stuck inside playing games or on the internet all the time. And it seems like a lot of people seem to have unchecked mental illness too...

Old 06-26-2015, 04:48 PM

716 posts, read 1,238,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelviera50 View Post
Louie0406 really are u kidding me ??????? the question was why are there so many white mass shootings and then u try to compare whats going on in baltimore philly chicago ect...
all i have to say is TiMOTHY MCVEIGH if im not mistaken WHITE MALE....that sums it up mass shooting bombings ect.. that pig killed 168 people of all race and injured what? 600 others...
minoritys usually go after whoever **** them off.99.9999999 % of the time a white male gets mad at there mom or dad or a school teacher they go kill everyone a black guy get mad they shoot the person that gets them mad and might miss by mistake and hit a bystander there are way more mass shooting done by white males then any race in usa now if you go to iraq and places like that thats a whole diffrent ball game.
Dont get me wrong wrong is wrong no matter how u look at it,
white black hispanic ect you kill someone its wrong but there are more white mass shooters then there are black mass shooters im b/w female and my kids are b/w/h so i dont have a racist bone in my body but i have to let u no to me it sounds like your trying to compare and there is no comparing blacks kill for what they dont got education money food to feed the kids police brutality that goes unpunished which isnt right but white people kill
100s of people at one time mind you cause they got audited or cause someone was teasing them in school or cause they was copying and frigging video game or movie smh...
so before you go comparing look and state all the facts or better yet dont state nothing MR.LOUIE 0406 have a nice day
The answer: there's NOT. white males do mass shootings at the same rate of their population in america...some other races do it much higher. And blacks also do random 3 on 1,2 on 1, etc. kinda shootings of random innocent victims may more often than whites too.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:28 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,786 times
While you are looking for the answer, perhaps you can also figure out why the leading cause of death of black males between the age of 18 and 35 is first degree murder by another black male.

Statistically, blacks represent 13% of the American population yet are responsible for 70% of the murders. Sorry for that inconvenient truth.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:40 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The culture does indeed work that way: "womens studies" , Title IX, and the stock media representations of men as either bumbling idiots or bloodthirsty rapists/killers.

"Male privilege" is always cited, until it's time to defend the country, fight the fires, and pick up the check. Then anti-male bias has a way of fading away...and males are privileged to step forward. Then, when it's safe to do so again, our culture brings out the neanderthal insults and mocks the males.
Well we need men to defend the country against other violent male terrorists/armies. We need male law enforcement to mainly defend ourselves from violent male thugs. Men commit most of the crimes. Men commit most of the terrorist acts. Men do the majority of the raping and sexual assaults.

Can't blame the gender bashing in that regards.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
Our leaders just gloss over these shootings.
More or less guns are not the answer.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:03 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Angry lonely white males kinda scare me even as a white guy I will admit, I try to be really friendly and helpful to everyone I meet. I am always pleasant and polite to everyone I meet. I was kinda of a loner as growing up don't have many friends but I always had good luck with females and always had good looking girlfriends so I had high self esteem. As an adult I usually go out my way to befriend people that are different from me because I know the feeling of being lonely and isolated growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events