Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is really how you are going to define mass shooting, they use 4 for this data. See the pivot table:

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation | Mother Jones

That's a 4:1 ratio, it should be 6:1 for parity.

One thing to note is I'll have to question how complete that data is. We had a mass killing here in my area just after the last one they list and it's not on there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Banks

It seems that if it happened in the inner city they normally don't get reported on those lists.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
It seems that if it happened in the inner city they normally don't get reported on those lists.
That one didn't occur in the inner city, matter of fact at the time it was more murders than would probably occur here in 4 or 5 years. That guy was truly insane, that was really tragedy as it involved 6 kids between the ages of 1 and 11, 5 of them were his. I was about 11 at the time, not sure how they missed it. I sent them an email.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 AM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Heroism is not a quality found only in Americans. If you are talking about a specific military attitude, our training might arguably better. But there are heroes all over the world. Come on.
I did not say didly squat about "heroes."

Old 08-16-2015, 04:08 PM

171 posts, read 181,269 times
How many mass killings are there really? Not many. The Va. Tech killer was Korean, the Texas killer may have been Caucasian but he isn't that young and he's Muslim. Mental health(or it's lack) is the reason for most of it.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:17 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,232,472 times
Not sure but their total body count is low. Look at African Americans JUST in Chicago. The total, so far this month in Chicago totals 20. 163 shot and wounded or a total of 183 shot and wounded and/or killed. And it's only mid August. To be sure, all the shootings and deaths are not just African American but, most are and most are drug related. You know, empire fighting.

You know, that crime some people think should not fill up jails.

Whites may spree kill more but their totals are myopic compared to the killing in Chicago currently underway. A good friend of mine who has lived there all his life calls Chicago, "chiraq". Dark humor but, I see his point.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:38 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It's probably worth investigating why young blacks don't get more involved in these, but my quick guess is that it's a reaction by young white youth who first have severe psychological problems who are then unable to handle the cognitive dissonance of failing while supposedly having all the social factors that should add up to success.

But if you separate the two issues of gang-related killing and "honor"-related killing and match them up with the same white demographics, you see the same pattern among those whites.

It's worth studying that in urban (particularly northern urban) areas black youth have a combination of gang-related violence plus the more southern honor-related violence. I don't believe this combination is common among whites (perhaps ethnic whites are an exception), although it may be as common among Latinos.
Yes, we whites are prone to stupidity as much as the next race ( see the Darwin awards) but that silly " he disrespected me" BS is not all that common to our brand of morons.

I don't know why most mass killers tend to be white ( there are exceptions to that ) but maybe they can study that Colorado guy and get some insight. Most of them are not taken alive.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM

28,680 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes, we whites are prone to stupidity as much as the next race ( see the Darwin awards) but that silly " he disrespected me" BS is not all that common to our brand of morons.
You can see it in the rural South. My theory is that's where blacks got it from. "Yew have sullied mah honah, suh, and I demand satisfaction!" Southern whites gave up honor duels decades after it disappeared in the North. It still happens among low-income Southern whites, and I suspect blacks took it north with them during the great migration and having given it up.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:10 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
video games- drugs alcohol - harsh parenting-and no sex

Old 08-30-2015, 09:35 AM

142 posts, read 194,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Blacks live in much greater concentrated poverty than whites do, and like may have said their beef is with a person or group most of the times in these shootings. Sometimes a radom person is chosen for robberies etc, but thats all races. When whites get upset or fired, they want to kill everyone.

If whites have more wealth than blacks in a society that favors and gives more privileges to whites, its only natural for more crimes to be committed in a poor black areas.
Well said.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:49 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,415,902 times
Whites make up ~70% of the population and commit ~64% of mass shootings. Blacks make up 14% of the population and are responsible for 16% of the mass shootings. This means that per capita black (male) are more likely to commit a mass shooting than the average white population.

Whites are mildly under represented in mass shootings, blacks mildly over represented.

Moral of the story there are more whites therefore more white committed mass homicide. It certainly appears race is not a factor in mass shootings in any meaningful way.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/27/us/mass-shootings/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events