Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 06:02 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think they should be given more to be able to get fresh foods, fruits and vegetables. I don't care if they restrict what can be bought, but IMO eating healthy does cost more and cheap food is generally cheap and that is what they can afford.

Because of the work I do, I also find very little knowledge about nutrition among poorer populations. Yes, they know cookies are bad and carrots are good, but they do not know that just because a bag of bread says "whole grain" doesn't mean it has any fiber in it (Thanks, food lobbyist and FDA) or that a glass of juice is just as bad for a diabetic as a cookie.

I think signing up for food stamps and other programs should include education.
I agree with you on the education.

Maybe it is a southern thing, but a problem I see is that people get used to 'their' food and don't want to change to something healthier. I think the kids would be more open to healthier food if the adults were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 06:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Just wondering, do you support abortion? Or free birth control? What about sex ed in public schools?

I don't support abortion, but adoption is fine.

Any particular reason folks can't pay for their own BC?

What exactly is the need for sex ed? Are you saying no one is aware of how babies come to be without the public school system clueing them in?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynV View Post
Actually there is! I used to work as a grocery checker in a small town. At least 5 or 6 times a day I'd sell cigarettes and/or alcohol to someone who paid cash, then they'd have me separately ring up their expensive grocery choices (name brand cereals, steaks, name brand soda, etc) and they'd use their food stamps or EBT for those. I'd definitely call that abusing the system! Oh and not to mention, most of them drove a much nicer car than I did, and managed to own mud trucks and go camping every other weekend. Hmmmmm........
A few times a year I wind up behind someone who is trying to buy something not approved for EBT or food stamp purchases. These items have included toys, roses and pre-made foods.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Just wondering, do you support abortion? Or free birth control? What about sex ed in public schools?

I'm genuinely hoping your answer is yes because while I don't agree with your opinion and find it rather crass, it'd be easier to swallow if you agree with doing everything possible to prevent unwanted pregnancy/children.
We had sex education in school when I was a kid and my kids do now. The economy was much better when I became an adult. There were still people I knew that were my age having babies and were on welfare. I knew because I waited on them when I was working the checkout stand at the grocery store. They knew better, had access to birth control, and still made the choices they made. They and their children were permanently affected by those choices. Actions have consequences. Education can only go so far.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
What exactly is the need for sex ed? Are you saying no one is aware of how babies come to be without the public school system clueing them in?
You would be very, very, very surprised at what people don't know.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Roads and education are a fundamental principle of government. Steak is not.
Wow.

Remarkable. In two sentences, you demonstrate the shame the article mentions.

P.S... If you think your taxes pay ALL the cost of education & highways, you are not correct.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 07-27-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 06:29 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I don't support abortion, but adoption is fine.

Any particular reason folks can't pay for their own BC?

I have no problem with taxpayer funded birth control. People who want birth control should have it, whether they can pay for it or not.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynV View Post
Actually there is! I used to work as a grocery checker in a small town. At least 5 or 6 times a day I'd sell cigarettes and/or alcohol to someone who paid cash, then they'd have me separately ring up their expensive grocery choices (name brand cereals, steaks, name brand soda, etc) and they'd use their food stamps or EBT for those. I'd definitely call that abusing the system! Oh and not to mention, most of them drove a much nicer car than I did, and managed to own mud trucks and go camping every other weekend. Hmmmmm........
So because someone has food stamps they're not allowed to get some beer occasionally? Why is that? Why is that your call to make?

And unless you were following them out to the parking lot, you don't know what kind of car they drive, where they got it, how they got it, how they're paying for it, and I sure hope you weren't following these people camping. How about MYOB?

Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So because someone has food stamps they're not allowed to get some beer occasionally? Why is that? Why is that your call to make?

And unless you were following them out to the parking lot, you don't know what kind of car they drive, where they got it, how they got it, how they're paying for it, and I sure hope you weren't following these people camping. How about MYOB?
Beer is a luxury. If you can afford to buy beer, you can afford to pay for your own food.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Beer is a luxury. If you can afford to buy beer, you can afford to pay for your own food.
Air conditioning is a luxury. Electric lights are a luxury. A car is a luxury. A microwave is a luxury. A tv is a luxury. I guess us poor people should just walk barefoot everywhere and eat rice in the dark with our hands so it will be easier to identify us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events