Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 12:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would be interesting to know more of her details. She went to college but never made more than $11/hr.
Kids? How many did she choose to have and why no child support from the babies daddies.
Child support expensive? Sounds like she has maybe 2 older kids.

Doesn't sound like she's abusing the system. That should not be a problem.
Bad choices in life? Probably but we all make a few.
" Attended college" is not the same thing as having earned a degree in a marketable skill that pays more than $11/ hr.

Most people don't have highly marketable skills. That does not mean most don't work hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 PM

148 posts, read 132,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's more insightful than the post your post. Instead of logically addressing what I said, you instead resort to insult and emotion. i.e. Vitriol. Get back to us when you can actually defend yourself.
The whole premise of your rant is wrong. That why I didn't do a rebuttal, and posted the undeniable truth about your posting history. " Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money." Do you not see the ignorance in this statement? Let's take a look at Wal-Mart to highlight everything that is wrong with statement

Wal-Mart's low wages cost taxpayers - Jun. 4, 2013

New Report Shows How Walmart Forces Its Employees to Live on the Dole | Mother Jones

I could post another link, but there is no point as this should suffice. There is some serious irony in this situation. Walmart is underpaying their employees so severely that they actually are forced to apply for government assistance to make ends meet. This blatant exploitation of the system by big corporations rarely goes noticed here, especially since they're the true welfare queens, but links for that will be provided later. These are the people who "actually worked to earn that money" but what they happen to earn isn't enough to sustain themselves or their families. Can you call these people lazy or feeding "bastardized" children they "pop" out even though they are working their damnest to make ends meet? If they're working full time hours at walmart how many side jobs can they realistically have and still fulfill their duty towards their children? More importantly, would it even be worth the benefits that government assistance from a monetary perspective? Perhaps they have gotten laid off in a job deadzone and can't just up and leave, and the only thing available to them is crappy jobs? Perhaps a rough divorce took them to the cleaners, and they have to start over from scratch? All these basic considerations are lost on you though, as you decided long ago that all poor people are leeches, even if they work harder then the people who are financially well off.

Now, for those corporate giants...

4 Examples Of Corporate Welfare In Action | Taxpayers for Common Sense

NFL gets billions in subsidies from U.S. taxpayers - Jan. 30, 2015

Students pay hefty price for corporate tax breaks « Education Votes

These leeches are costing us far more than one person on government assistance can ever hope to suck outta the system, yet you don't care about these welfare queens.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh yes they do. When the government uses "debt" to pay it, then taxes (for the interest) and inflation go up. Nothing is free dear and you can't make it free by printing more money.

I do agree with you as to the rest. Your life and decisions are your responsibility, not the taxpayers. Though if someone views themselves as a slave, then that is all they will ever accomplish in life.
And what are those amazing things we should all aspire for? We should aspire to exchange 1 unit of our labor for lets say 100000 units of labor of others to fathom all the magesty of Universe and our special place in it. In other words modernity modifies master-slave treadmill a little, but you are free to delude yourself.

Must I believe that 17 trillions of debt will be paid off at some point. Personally, I'd rather believe in Santa. Government doesnt need your money, it can "print" a pile of money reaching the Moon. Government must extract labor from the people it rules to be converted in all those amazing things civilization has to offer. Throughout history rulers used variety of means to do so. At this point in time government uses mainly taxes(i.e. fear) and carrots (printing money and subsidizing everything in sight to "stimulate" the peons into laboring). Money/debt pyramid is just an abstraction used to extract labor, it can be annulled and reset at any time.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:53 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
I made some poor choices in my life but despite that, I was only on food stamps once for about four weeks when the hubs lost his job.

That was back in time when the food stamp program really used food stamps. Everybody in line at the store knew you were using food stamps.

Today, they have a plastic card, and I don't know how anyone can tell it's a SNAP card unless they're standing at the user's elbow. I use a debit card and I suppose observers can think that I'm using food benefits (I'm not), but with the growing number of shoppers who rarely carry cash, it would be pretty difficult to assume which of us is using SNAP.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:09 PM

8,222 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

I've always believed that WIC like approach would be best for food stamps. The money should be used toward basic food staples. WIC tends to be more protein based. Food stamps should cover things like flour, sugar, spices, raw meat, canned, fresh, or frozen vegetables and less prepackaged food. Gourmet candies, I know some people think people on welfare should be entitled to whatever people not on welfare have in the way of variety, but that system is not working. My understanding of welfare is that it was meant as a hand up, not a hand out.

The government would do better to put together some basic food recipes and to offer cooking classes on how to cook basic foods. It's the teaching a man/woman to fish rather than giving him/her fish principle.

We don't enough about this woman to know why she periodically needs welfare. If she doesn't think she is abusing the system, she probably needs to develop a thicker skin.
Whenever I've been homeless I have not had the means to cook raw meat. Nor could I do anything with flour, sugar, or spices. I would sometimes take canned meat spread and put it on crackers and have fruit cups for my meals, but I couldn't do anything with anything that needed cooking or regulated storage.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:24 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Let me tell you what me and my brother saw and heard once . This young girl was in line and she was trying to figure out the food stamps thing and this was when we had paper food stamps . The young girl was in line and she was having trouble . These people in line starting getting angry and yelling at her . Well this one old man said " she probably does not even have a job " and several people used that opportunity to add their two cents about her situation . Well she started getting upset and was visibly crying she told the cashier never mind and she left the store . This man walked up to the register where the young girl was and stated , " I want to thank all of you who chose to beat my cousin up over food stamps , you see her brother and his wife were killed in a car accident and she took all four of their kids in and that is why she has to get food stamps " . I hope all of you are never put in that circumstance ". I never in my life saw a more ashamed bunch of people and rightfully so . People should just keep their mouths shut when they don't know these people .

Old 07-26-2015, 01:39 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
" and our rent had just gone up and there were two adults but only one of us had a job. "

What was the reason for there being only one having a job?

Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 PM

8,222 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
" and our rent had just gone up and there were two adults but only one of us had a job. "

What was the reason for there being only one having a job?
Maybe one hadn't found one yet.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Maybe one hadn't found one yet.
"After that first stretch, I didn't go back to SNAP for almost three years. Then suddenly I had two kids, a divorce, a single, crappy job, and all of the expenses of a household on my head. "

She seems to attract a lot of people who "haven't found one yet."

Old 07-26-2015, 01:54 PM

But not only is my time and labor not as highly valued as yours, it's legal to deliberately keep me in poverty."

Bologna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events