Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times

Advertisements

I love cats.....Bigcats are great. I would consider it a great honor to die via Lion-devouring!

From what I have read, the hunter-dentist thought the whole thing was on the up&up....permits, legality and all.

Sad for me to see these beasts hunted for sport. But I have also read that much of the money, in some of the hunts, goes toward conservation-effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Do you know the difference between being anti-hunter and anti-hunter going after animals that are about to become extinct???
Do you know the difference between some one who pays for a guided hunt and the guide? Do you know the difference between someone who pays money to do something and someone who gets paid to make it happen?

Some perspective is needed here.

If you have information that the guy doing the shooting knew that the animal was lured from a protected area and decided to shoot the animal knowing that and also knowing the animal had some notoriety in the protected area, then please, enlighten us all so that everyone knows what happened. Then we can all jump on the same bandwagon.

Otherwise, just what exactly are you saying?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:18 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I love cats.....Bigcats are great. I would consider it a great honor to die via Lion-devouring!

From what I have read, the hunter-dentist thought the whole thing was on the up&up....permits, legality and all.

Sad for me to see these beasts hunted for sport. But I have also read that much of the money, in some of the hunts, goes toward conservation-effort.
BINGO! We have a winner!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:21 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
On NBC Evening News, they just said the Zimbabwe government charged the guides with poaching.

I don't think the guy knew who the lion was. He is apologizing all over the place. Apparently the lion was quite famous locally, calm and used to being around people, and brought tourists to the park. Local people there are furious. He should IMO compensate them if they might lose business somehow without the lion. They said he paid $54,000 for the "hunt" (used in quotes because to me killing a semi-friendly elderly lion is not hunting). I'm sure that money he paid adds insult to injury to the locals, this rich guy comes and lures the little people's park mascot out and kills it, even if he didn't know.

Again to me even though I think it was the guides fault, it still reinforces the image of the selfish, greedy rich American.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Do you know the difference between some one who pays for a guided hunt and the guide? Do you know the difference between someone who pays money to do something and someone who gets paid to make it happen?

Some perspective is needed here.

If you have information that the guy doing the shooting knew that the animal was lured from a protected area and decided to shoot the animal knowing that and also knowing the animal had some notoriety in the protected area, then please, enlighten us all so that everyone knows what happened. Then we can all jump on the same bandwagon.

Otherwise, just what exactly are you saying?
The dentist isn't some noob, as much as you'd like to portray him as such. He got in trouble in WI for killing a black bear and lied about where the bear was located when he killed it.

Hunters who travel the world would know the state of lions. Many non-hunters, like myself, are aware of the peril they're in. He never should have gone to hunt a lion. That's what my objection is. I dislike hunting but have friends who hunt. They would never do what this guy did.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM

8,888 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
You're talking about his pride. His pride is now in danger because he's no longer there to protect them.
Absolutely, and I think this character should be delighted to pay $50,000 per lion.

Wonder how much his office building is worth?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:23 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Hunting is not psychopathic. It is a natural human activity.
The dentist was so hungry he killed a lion?

Did he cook and eat the meat?

No, he left the lion's body there to rot, and took his trophy.

It is natural to hunt for food; it is not natural to kill for sport.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
The dentist isn't some noob, as much as you'd like to portray him as such. He got in trouble in WI for killing a black bear and lied about where the bear was located when he killed it.

Hunters who travel the world would know the state of lions. Many non-hunters, like myself, are aware of the peril they're in. He never should have gone to hunt a lion. That's what my objection is. I dislike hunting but have friends who hunt. They would never do what this guy did.
Exactly.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
OMFG I just read they skinned and beheaded it. I'm going to go stab someone. W T F. I hope he gets skinned and beheaded. STUPID F!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:27 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Dont really see the cause for hyperventilation so many are having. It was a legal hunt. The country authorized the hunt. The people benefit from trophy hunting. The meat is almost certainly consumed (assumption)...
well done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events