Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well.. Since average is at 50%.. That leaves 49% that are above average and 49% that are below average.

So, we can see where everyone falls.. Where's the other percent? 49+49+1=99

If you can't answer where that 1% is.. You're below average.

I do tend to expect that cops not shoot each other. You know.. at least 1 level above tard. We don't particularly hire people who can't read to be nuclear engineers.. So, why should we hire people who can't read addresses to be cops?
Since you obviously consider yourself above average, do tell why you aren't signing up. What, being a police officer does not catch your fancy, being above average and all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
This is all horsepucky. The crying and whining about the quality of poloce disregards a few things. First is the constant blame placed on all police for the acrions of the few who do not follow the law. Do we say all people of a certain ethnic group make all guilty? There are more rioters of certain ethnic groups than there are police not following the laws. Second, where is all the concern about why the "above average" people not flooding police academies to sign up? You think this is all some miracle wand waving solution? Society is degrading and you expect the police to somehow be immune? Time to wake up and smell the coffee.
yeah.. Society has gone down.. So, that's why we hire high school dropouts to design cars.

oh, wait.. You mean you have to go to college for that? Huh.

Perhaps we should pay police what they're worth and make it so that the highly qualified will want to do the job.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:29 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Quote:
Since you obviously consider yourself above average, do tell why you aren't signing up. What, being a police officer does not catch your fancy, being above average and all?
I don't have a criminal law degree. Mine is in computer engineering. I'm not qualified to be a police officer.

And, I wouldn't take the pay cut.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:32 PM

Think about it. There is a group of people constantly posting whatever negative stories about the police they can find. They demand that the police become better. They say better people need to become police officers. Now think about that. Who is the problem, the police or the people in charge of hiring them? Why aren't these posters complaining about the elected and appointed officials who are in charge of the process? Have you seen one post about that? It takes above average people to hire above average people.

Last edited by Year2525; 09-02-2015 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
yeah.. Society has gone down.. So, that's why we hire high school dropouts to design cars.

oh, wait.. You mean you have to go to college for that? Huh.

Perhaps we should pay police what they're worth and make it so that the highly qualified will want to do the job.
So why aren't you here advocating better pay and incentives to do what you preach instead of playing to the lowest common denominator of the pile on crowd who can do little more than complain?

Old 09-02-2015, 07:38 PM

Trying to equate those designing cars to police officers must have been taught in the above average courses for strawman debating. Just sayin.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:42 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,411,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Does that justify this???

I wonder how well this would fly if I made the mistake in my line of work and designed a power circuit with a step-up transformer instead of a step-down. You'd have some 100kV running through your house instead of the regular 240V, and likely die as soon as you plugged something into your wall.

Point is, I'm expected to be a professional in my line of work, and am trained to know NOT to make these types of grave errors.
Cops are supposed to be trained to be professional in their line of work, and this is too big of a "mistake" to be forgivable.
Exactly.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 PM

962 posts, read 631,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
That's true. They are supposed to be professional. Think professional, act professional. I just don't know, sure people make mistakes but we hold police to a higher standard. There are so many stories in the news now of police corruption,misdeeds, mistakes etc, it's really sad.
I think that police should be required to get extensive training, if they don't already, before being hired on the job.

Quote:
Think about it. There is a group of people constantly posting whatever negative stories about the police they can find. They demand that the police become better. They say better people need to become police officers. Now think about that. Who is the problem, the police or the people in charge of hiring them? Why aren't these posters complaining about the elected and appointed officials who are in charge of the process? Have you seen one post about that? It takes above average people to hire above average people.
Police are supposed to be law enforcement. If they aren't being trusted to do their jobs very well, what else is there to rely on?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Does that justify this???

I wonder how well this would fly if I made the mistake in my line of work and designed a power circuit with a step-up transformer instead of a step-down. You'd have some 100kV running through your house instead of the regular 240V, and likely die as soon as you plugged something into your wall.

Point is, I'm expected to be a professional in my line of work, and am trained to know NOT to make these types of grave errors.
Cops are supposed to be trained to be professional in their line of work, and this is too big of a "mistake" to be forgivable.
Say you did just that and lets be honest, it has probably happened, or something similar to it. Would it make sense to condem all people designing power circuits or those who made the mistake? We both know what is going on here. Now add this, if you hired less than competent designers, who would bear the responsibility, the designer or the fools making the hiring selections? Before you answer, there is already precedence that answers the question but how do you see it?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
I think that police should be required to get extensive training, if they don't already, before being hired on the job.
Who do you think creates the training standards and approves the training? Hint, it is not the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events