Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
We shouldn't be hiring 'average' for police.

There is zero excuse for the cops in this story. The fact that they shot each other in addition to the homeowner reflects many things that are wrong. Not to mention that they went and frankly, illegally entered a domicile.

A cop shoots someone who makes a quick move.. You know, in cases I can defend that. A cop who raids the wrong house? There's no excuse for that whatsoever. And then shooting the lawful occupant of that house along with another cop? That person shouldn't have been on the force to start with.
Keystone cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
Where are all these "above average" people going to come from? Have the quality of those making decisions on the direction of society been above average? This entire nonsense about holding one aspect of society to higher standards when the standards of society as a whole are declining is a bit of wishful dreaming isn't it?
No it's not wishful dreaming. It's saying we are going to authorize you and pay you to perform at the highest standards. And if you do not, we will fire you. That's hardly unique in America.

I think it's refreshing that you just admitted that the police do not perform at higher standards.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
This is all horsepucky. The crying and whining about the quality of poloce disregards a few things. First is the constant blame placed on all police for the acrions of the few who do not follow the law. Do we say all people of a certain ethnic group make all guilty? There are more rioters of certain ethnic groups than there are police not following the laws. Second, where is all the concern about why the "above average" people not flooding police academies to sign up? You think this is all some miracle wand waving solution? Society is degrading and you expect the police to somehow be immune? Time to wake up and smell the coffee.
Which is no more unreasonable than your crying and whining while defending all police actions.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
So why aren't you here advocating better pay and incentives to do what you preach instead of playing to the lowest common denominator of the pile on crowd who can do little more than complain?
In the Virginia jurisdiction where I lived most of my life, police pay is not at $46,747 for a "freshman" police officer, going all the way up to $171,283. They can retire with full benefits after 30 years, which means if they start in the county they can retire as early as age 51.

And I have no complaints about that pay range or retirement benefits. But that is hardly a pittance, and does not count the substantial earnings that many officers receive working off hours.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,836,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Jean View Post
And people wonder why the animosity towards police is growing.
Without them you and i would be toast!

Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,148,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here's the twist this time.. At least 2 of the cops were black, homeowner was white.. And.. One of the cops shot one of the other cops. Shot and killed the homeowners' dog as well.

Police: Homeowner shot by police, officer likely shot by other o - FOX Carolina 21

This reads about like a keystone cops routine.
Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 AM

50,860 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is crazy!! This explains a lot...125 is not even that high, it's not genius level or anything.

"A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.
“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”
He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.
Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training"

Old 09-03-2015, 11:53 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,522,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is crazy!! This explains a lot...125 is not even that high, it's not genius level or anything.

"A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.
“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”
He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.
Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training"
My goodness, stop with all the panic. Companies and organizations have refused to hire what can be called over qualified candidates on that basis for decades. Where have you been? People have avoided electing Presidents based on IQ since there were Presidents. IQ is not a reliable factor in determining job performance in most cases. Police work doesn't require a high IQ, it requires many character traits that have little to do with IQ.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM

145 posts, read 167,961 times
Police carry and use guns and have the power to detain and arrest people: ie: they have a tremendous amount of power over other people. As a citizen I want them held to a very high standard in order to have that job. My life and that of my family is at stake. I don't hate cops and have never advocated for anyone else to hate them. Their job is difficult and really, I admire them for taking that on. Not all of them are a good fit for the job though, and I think better screening of candidates is needed.
And yea, the medical profession has its share of mistakes which is a whole 'nother conversation.

Last edited by Petite Jean; 09-03-2015 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: OE

Old 09-03-2015, 01:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,654,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Does that justify this???

I wonder how well this would fly if I made the mistake in my line of work and designed a power circuit with a step-up transformer instead of a step-down. You'd have some 100kV running through your house instead of the regular 240V, and likely die as soon as you plugged something into your wall.

Point is, I'm expected to be a professional in my line of work, and am trained to know NOT to make these types of grave errors.
Cops are supposed to be trained to be professional in their line of work, and this is too big of a "mistake" to be forgivable.

Bingo. Many of us are getting very tired of the "tragic mistake" that gives cops a pass when they screw up.

Many people are terminated from other positions when they screw up. And these are jobs where people end up getting killed due to a "whoopsie I made a mistake" scenarios.

Great example you gave.

Unfortunately(and it seems especially in the south more so) you have people becoming cops whose last job was at Burger King. More progressive areas at least want a 2 year college degree, it shows that you can at least follow through on something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events