Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,478,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
This is what happens when people make vague reports and vague phone calls to the police without providing a lot of information. A house address number would surely have helped, and prevented all this. This is all one big mistake.
THIS!

I apologize in advance because this is long...

Here's what happened to me about 3 years ago. One night I was out in my back yard, letting my dogs do their thing. I had just put hair color in to touch up my roots. I was in a bathrobe with a glass of wine. My back porch light was out. (Couldn't find appropriate replacement, so used a flashlight so I wouldn't trip.) Well it was a dark night, October, and no moon. I suddenly saw a bright flash of light and my dogs went crazy. I thought my neighbor must have installed a new security light that was on a timer. After about a half minute, the flash of light again. I went around to the side of my house, but couldn't see anything, so returned to the patio and sat down, still thinking it must have been a security light. ALL OF A SUDDEN, these figures emerge from the side of the house, the part of the yard I had just left.

A squad of SWAT (I have a new meaning for this acronym, by the way), with ASSAULT rifles, one of them aimed at me! I am a female. My jaw dropped. They began to interrogate me. Who are you? Who lives here? What is this address? I answered all questions, AND I said "Take that gun off me." They complied. (I was told afterwards that I was lucky I did not raise the flashlight...) They said, "Someone called from this address." They kept insisting this even though I said I hadn't and I had no idea what they were talking about. They said domestic violence was reported and that there was a gun involved. They KEPT insisting that the call came from my home. BTW, I ONLY have a cell phone, no land line. It was surreal. Somehow they accepted I was telling the truth and told me to go inside my house. Of course I was shaking (I almost had a heart attack I was trembling so badly.) I said to them "Don't hurt my dogs". (Cocker Spaniels and very friendly and mild-mannered.) They said they needed to use my yard to get to the next house. WHY, then, did they say they were called from my address if they needed to get to the house next door?

The fact that they were going next door and that it was supposedly a case of violence and a weapon really bothered me because there was a little girl, age 6 that lived there with her mom and boyfriend and I had never known of any such incidents in that family. Turns out a couple of the LEO's came around to my front door after some time had passed and informed me that the incident was at the house 2 doors down (a home which had numerous 'incidents'). Then much later two more came to the door to 'apologize' and ask about my well-being. REALLY?

They told me they were still attending to the situation and went away. Meanwhile a TON of police cars were on my very tiny cul de sac street. About an hour later a female officer (I think this was 'strategic' on their part) came to the door to inquire again. I was speechless, but they tried to minimize the situation, which for me was the most terrifying thing I had EVER experienced. From that day on, I had an 'emergency' backpack at the door to evacuate at a moment's notice. FROM the incompetence of LEOs.

It took a long time for me to fall asleep that night, but when I did I had a dream: I dreamed that there was a gigantic PIG in my backyard and I couldn't get it out! Can you BELIEVE it?! It's the absolute truth. The human mind is an amazing thing...

I won't get into details, but I have had 3 other 'encounters' with the police. Twice they came to my home: 1. once when I called when my home was burglarized and
2. once they were investigating an incident involving arson at a church across the way and they were going door to door asking people where they were at the time of the fire (um, working); and
3. once when I was 17 and was robbed in broad daylight.

I received no real help or resolution to any issue I had. I; however, did get:
1. asked why I didn't have many pictures on my walls / that it "looked like I hadn't lived there long" (even though the robber had trashed my place) - odd to get a critique on my decor...
2. asked why I didn't know what happened at the church when everyone else on the block knew what the situation was" (um, I was at work); - basically implied I was responsible for the fire...
3. asked on a date... REALLY?

EVERY encounter only taught me to take care of MYSELF...

Post Script: Two days after the SWAT incident I went out to my yard in back of the garage where the fence separating my property from the next door neighbors is located. Beside the fence is a tree in front of which is an old well, covered with wooden planks/floor. The wood was old and rotting and I always made sure my dogs never got on top of it. The old wood boards were now caved into the well (about a four foot drop). The LEO's aka keystone cops had apparently taken a spill. KARMA...

I am a law-abiding citizen, a professional (now retired) and a senior citizen. To have a SWAT team in full assault mode show up at your home in the dark of night for no reason is unacceptable. EVERYONE is vulnerable. Be careful people.

Last edited by tangelag; 09-02-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,150,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The person that called 911, didnt give an address, they just said by a gray house, so when the cops got there, they went to the back of what they thought was the house and the door was open and they went in and the rest, we all know the results now.
A warrant shouldn't be granted in such a case (I doubt they had one). Probable cause for any given homeowner hasn't been established. If the police want to pursue unspecific and vague leads further, they should send an investigator and gather evidence first. The highest law in the land says the can't perform unreasonable searches. Respecting it comes first, finding bad guys (as important as it is) is secondary.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:30 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,188 times
It would be funny if a man wasn't shot and his dog killed. The level of incompetence is staggering. They need more information to act. They cannot get a free pass for playing storm trooper. The homeowner/resident of these mistaken raids need to be cleared of any charges and compensated for any and all damages.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:10 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
THIS!

Here's what happened to me about 3 years ago. One night I was out in my back yard, letting my dogs do their thing. I had just put hair color in to touch up my roots. I was in a bathrobe with a glass of wine. My back porch light was out. (Couldn't find appropriate replacement, so used a flashlight so I wouldn't trip.) Well it was a dark night, October, and no moon. I suddenly saw a bright flash of light and my dogs went crazy. I thought my neighbor must have installed a new security light that was on a timer. After about a half minute, the flash of light again. I went around to the side of my house, but couldn't see anything, so returned to the patio and sat down, still thinking it must have been a security light. ALL OF A SUDDEN, these figures emerge from the side of the house, the part of the yard I had just left.

A squad of SWAT (I have a new meaning for this acronym, by the way), with ASSAULT rifles, one of them aimed at me! I am a female. My jaw dropped. They began to interrogate me. Who are you? Who lives here? What is this address? I answered all questions, AND I said "Take that gun off me." They complied. (I was told afterwards that I was lucky I did not raise the flashlight...) They said, "Someone called from this address." They kept insisting this even though I said I hadn't and I had no idea what they were talking about. They said domestic violence was reported and that there was a gun involved. They KEPT insisting that the call came from my home. BTW, I ONLY have a cell phone, no land line. It was surreal. Somehow they accepted I was telling the truth and told me to go inside my house. Of course I was shaking (I almost had a heart attack I was trembling so badly.) I said to them "Don't hurt my dogs". (Cocker Spaniels and very friendly and mild-mannered.) They said they needed to use my yard to get to the next house. WHY, then, did they say they were called from my address if they needed to get to the house next door?

The fact that they were going next door and that it was supposedly a case of violence and a weapon really bothered me because there was a little girl, age 6 that lived there with her mom and boyfriend and I had never known of any such incidents in that family. Turns out a couple of the LEO's came around to my front door after some time had passed and informed me that the incident was at the house 2 doors down (a home which had numerous 'incidents'). Then much later two more came to the door to 'apologize' and ask about my well-being. REALLY?

They told me they were still attending to the situation and went away. Meanwhile a TON of police cars were on my very tiny cul de sac street. About an hour later a female officer (I think this was 'strategic' on their part) came to the door to inquire again. I was speechless, but they tried to minimize the situation, which for me was the most terrifying thing I had EVER experienced. From that day on, I had an 'emergency' backpack at the door to evacuate at a moment's notice. FROM the incompetence of LEOs.

It took a long time for me to fall asleep that night, but when I did I had a dream: I dreamed that there was a gigantic PIG in my backyard and I couldn't get it out! Can you BELIEVE it?! It's the absolute truth. The human mind is an amazing thing...

I won't get into details, but I have had 3 other 'encounters' with the police. Twice they came to my home: 1. once when I called when my home was burglarized and
2. once they were investigating an incident involving arson at a church across the way and they were going door to door asking people where they were at the time of the fire (um, working); and

1. asked why I didn't have many pictures on my walls / that it "looked like I hadn't lived there long" (even though the robber had trashed my place) - odd to get a critique on my decor...
2. asked why I didn't know what happened at the church when everyone else on the block knew what the situation was" (um, I was at work); - basically implied I was responsible for the fire...

Post Script: Two days after the SWAT incident I went out to my yard in back of the garage where the fence separating my property from the next door neighbors is located. Beside the fence is a tree in front of which is an old well, covered with wooden planks/floor. The wood was old and rotting and I always made sure my dogs never got on top of it. The old wood boards were now caved into the well (about a four foot drop). The LEO's aka keystone cops had apparently taken a spill. KARMA...

I am a law-abiding citizen, a professional (now retired) and a senior citizen. To have a SWAT team in full assault mode show up at your home in the dark of night for no reason is unacceptable. EVERYONE is vulnerable. Be careful people.
Sure, they were driving down the street and figured, why not just go into your backyard. Hide the women and children!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,523,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
A warrant shouldn't be granted in such a case (I doubt they had one). Probable cause for any given homeowner hasn't been established. If the police want to pursue unspecific and vague leads further, they should send an investigator and gather evidence first. The highest law in the land says the can't perform unreasonable searches. Respecting it comes first, finding bad guys (as important as it is) is secondary.
Unless you are the one calling 911 and then suddenly it is what took them so long?

Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 AM

962 posts, read 631,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
It would be funny if a man wasn't shot and his dog killed. The level of incompetence is staggering. They need more information to act. They cannot get a free pass for playing storm trooper. The homeowner/resident of these mistaken raids need to be cleared of any charges and compensated for any and all damages.
Yeah, exactly. The police department needs to pay for all damages involved, because after all, it was an unnecessary MISTAKE.

What they should have did was ask the man if he knew anything about (whatever crime he could've been accused of) before jumping to conclusions. This is also how innocent people accidentally get arrested for crimes they factually didn't do.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,355,152 times
It seems to me that a lot of these events are a "perfect storm"- bad neighborhood, young and/or hinky cops with a past history of overkill/aggro, suspect that acts, well, suspicious...and this doesn't seem to have any of those hallmarks.

I would NOT want to be a cop right now, because a lot of people are going to feel between their cross-hairs whether fair or not. The fact that this seems to keep happening, over and over again, is one of those tropes like the lone gunman that I just can't wrap my head around. Is this actually happening MORE, or is it getting publicized more? Are journalists landing on these events in a way that they didn't in the past, therefore creating a public perception of increased cop violence? Or, are cops nationwide becoming less accountable, less responsible, or simply more terrified? If so, why? I hope someone studies this, because these are questions worth asking.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,091,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
It seems to me that a lot of these events are a "perfect storm"- bad neighborhood, young and/or hinky cops with a past history of overkill/aggro, suspect that acts, well, suspicious...and this doesn't seem to have any of those hallmarks.

I would NOT want to be a cop right now, because a lot of people are going to feel between their cross-hairs whether fair or not. The fact that this seems to keep happening, over and over again, is one of those tropes like the lone gunman that I just can't wrap my head around. Is this actually happening MORE, or is it getting publicized more? Are journalists landing on these events in a way that they didn't in the past, therefore creating a public perception of increased cop violence? Or, are cops nationwide becoming less accountable, less responsible, or simply more terrified? If so, why? I hope someone studies this, because these are questions worth asking.
Of the more than 12.5 million calls for police service last year in America provided by somewhere between 500k-1.5 mil k police officers 417 ended up in the use of deadly force... less than .0003 percent...

Sure doesn't appear statistically we are killing people in droves....

Old 09-03-2015, 05:38 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,914,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Of the more than 12.5 million calls for police service last year in America provided by somewhere between 500k-1.5 mil k police officers 417 ended up in the use of deadly force... less than .0003 percent...

Sure doesn't appear statistically we are killing people in droves....
You can't explain this tragedy away with some friendly fire or collateral damage logic nonsense. These type of situations happen far to often and police are nearly always exonerated. There is no due process if you are victimized by the police. This is clearly a system that needs to be fixed.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:48 AM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
THIS!

What a terrifying story! I too would have been standing in front of my babies terrified one of them would go to sniff the cop and get shot for the sudden move.

I don't know if it's because the police hire more ex-military now, or too much nepotism, but police are not the way I remember them. The handful of times I walked to the police station in my town to ask a question about something (parking near my home, etc) I got very snotty, snarky responses. They don't seem to feel they are really part of the community anymore, but are separate from it, and we're all just PITA's in their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events