Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times

Advertisements

for years when I saw that sign at rest areas I thought it meant they had a crapper and they always did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
I don't care that they've changed the signs. I care that the handicapped are being portrayed as agile Speed Racers in that second sign. Most aren't, and it's disrespectful to them.

And go check that sign again with a fresh eye. It could also be read as a guy with a doughnut shoved up his rear. Seriously, who comes up with these new ideas? Do we need little pictures for everything? Oh wait...yes we do, because...well, we all know why. It's the same reason we have to Press One for English.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Maybe they should keep the old sign and use the word "reserved" instead of handicapped if they don't like that word. The symbol of wheelchair guy racing down the street looks silly. Or maybe he's a handicapped speed addict, or has ADD, oh yeah, those are also handicaps, but what about a paraplegic? They might feel bad, they can't race down streets using their arms!... yada yada yada...

Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I don't drive. So how about only people who do pay to pave the road and for all those street signs like "yield," "school crossing," "stop," and so on.
You may not drive, but I'd guess you are sometimes a passenger or utilize public transportation so you are getting benefit from those signs. Even more so if you ever cross a public street.

I agree with replacing the signs for new construction or as replacements are needed. But, the design of the sign is a bit weird and open to all sorts of interpretation as demonstrated by this thread.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Maybe they should keep the old sign and use the word "reserved" instead of handicapped if they don't like that word. The symbol of wheelchair guy racing down the street looks silly. Or maybe he's a handicapped speed addict, or has ADD, oh yeah, those are also handicaps, but what about a paraplegic? They might feel bad, they can't race down streets using their arms!... yada yada yada...

Exactly! Seeing as how people needing the parking space actually ARE handicapped in some way, the signs don't need to change. They old one is clear, concise and quite respectful.

If something needs to change, remove the parking slots reserved for "Young Mothers with Children." Who thought up that brainstorm?! If anyone deserves a space closer to the store, it's a 70ish-year-old who doesn't qualify for a Handicapped Sticker. Let the little kids walk.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:32 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
We live in a make believe world where no one is handicapped or fat or ugly, where mass murders are simply misguided, the poor and needy lacked equal opportunity, no one is responsible for anything , everyone's actions are misunderstood, especially by the police and the Kardashian's role models.

Some days I think if the whole planet exploded, it would not be a great loss.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
The first one looks way more relaxed. If I am ever handicap and must look like one of these pictures (knock on wood) I choose number 1.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:34 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Politically Correct people say the new sign will make people have a more positive attitude towards handicapped people. I suppose you have to stop using word "handicapped" too.

Critics hit out at new handicapped access sign showing stick figure in an 'active' pose | Daily Mail Online

Old Sign, Progressive Sign

Some people say it looks like constipated person straining on a non-squat toilet.

IF the one on the left is straining, the one on the right is wiping.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You would think differently if you were sick of being talked down to- literally and figuratively your whole life.

I don't drive. So how about only people who do pay to pave the road and for all those street signs like "yield," "school crossing," "stop," and so on.
This is why we have gas taxes. Unfortunately those funds get redirected into non related mass commuting expenditures.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 AM

Why is the symbol white? Racist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events