Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Because it's all about her point....the entitled mindset set of "if I am not happy, everyone else can suffer"....gotta love that type of person
Exactly. She chose this hill to die on and damned everyone else. For something as innocuous as this trip.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:12 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Agreed....I bet if you asked the kid, he/she likes going to see Santa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well what does that matter? Mom has a point to make.
But isn't that presumptuous? We've already heard from someone in this very thread who described growing up Jewish in a school environment packed with Christmas activities, and they didn't like it one bit. There is no basis for assuming that all kids are just thrilled to go see Santa.

Quote:
Because the actions of the school and the beliefs of those on this thread are extreme. We are talking about Santa Claus, not indoctrination. It annoys the **** out of me when people are purposefully obtuse believing they are fighting the good fight. You aren't. You are making it more difficult for people to compromise on the issue separation of church and state.
Again, according to the article the mom was not complaining about a single trip, she was complaining about a week's worth of Christmas-centric activities culminating in her Jewish child going to see Santa. She felt it was overkill and creating an intolerant environment because Christmas was being made into the be all and end all of life apparently. That seems reasonable.

I think the principal should have looked for a compromise being this was a tradition for the school, but it is not her fault for raising the issue IMO.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:13 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Exactly. She chose this hill to die on and damned everyone else. For something as innocuous as this trip.
Have you even been reading other people's posts. To a lot of people, this is not innocuous. Take off your blinders.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:13 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,923,527 times
was this a school walkout
or did the school PROMISE the kids a trip to see santa, a trip the kids were made aware of
and when this stupid ass school reneged, the parents simply fulfilled the promis

if my kids school did this, would have done the same thing...chances are it might have been the only time planned for the kids to see santa...xmas is a busy time

if the jewish mom didn't like it, then she should have not sent her kid...period
instead she ruined it for the kids...*****

Old 12-21-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
But isn't that presumptuous? We've already heard from someone in this very thread who described growing up Jewish in a school environment packed with Christmas activities, and they didn't like it one bit. There is no basis for assuming that all kids are just thrilled to go see Santa.

Again, according to the article the mom was not complaining about a single trip, she was complaining about a week's worth of Christmas-centric activities culminating in her Jewish child going to see Santa. She felt it was overkill and creating an intolerant environment because Christmas was being made into the be all and end all of life apparently. That seems reasonable.

I think the principal should have looked for a compromise being this was a tradition for the school, but it is not her fault for raising the issue IMO.
And we've heard from Jews who enjoyed it. Can't please everyone...

Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Have you even been reading other people's posts. To a lot of people, this is not innocuous. Take off your blinders.
Yes, I've read it. I disagree with you and others. Doesn't mean I'm not paying attention. Means I disagree.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
The "parents should...." line is tired and a red herring. In all reality, parents could home school their children and just be done with it. Its a poor argument against a school activity since all can be done by parents.
Actually that's not necessarily true. I know we have a lot of parents that couldn't afford The Nutcracker. But if it was a field trip, the teachers would let us know how many students couldn't afford the trip and the PTA would cover them, we have a fund for that so no kids are left off trips because they can't manage the cost.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Actually that's not necessarily true. I know we have a lot of parents that couldn't afford The Nutcracker. But if it was a field trip, the teachers would let us know how many students couldn't afford the trip and the PTA would cover them, we have a fund for that so no kids are left off trips because they can't manage the cost.
And in some other schools, like ours, if one person can't afford an activity, the activity is scrapped. Not fair to everyone else but no one seems to care.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:19 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Very good point.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:20 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
And we've heard from Jews who enjoyed it. Can't please everyone...
That wasn't the point though. The point was you can't assume this one kid "probably" wanted to go.

I understand your assertion about picking your battles but it does sound to me like the woman had a point, and the school was not executing it's Christmas activities in an way that took into account that not everyone celebrates Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events