Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 01:23 PM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Santa = Christmas = Christianity. Any attempt to claim otherwise is ignorant. If the choice is for non-Christian students to participate in a religious-based tradition or voluntarily exclude themselves, that's discrimination.
How so. Santa has nothing to do with religion. Santa has nothing to do with religion.
Non Christians put up trees, visit Santa, exchange gifts. All the Christmas trappings are secular.
Is Coke a Cola a Christian company cus I just saw a coke can with Santa on it, not Jesus, Santa. Lets boycott Coke.
Is there one of you posters who grew up in the christian church who celebrated Santa as part of your religious teachings. Have you ever attended a Christmas church service where the sermon was of the birth of Santa. Were you told Santa was the son of God born of man a savior that would save our souls?
I didnt think so.
Santa is to Christianity as much as a giant rabbit that lays chicken eggs is to Christianity. He is made up to bring joy to children. Perhaps we should boot Santa out and bring in Krampus. We all believe in evil, right. Let scare the crap out of those little boogers, that will teach them something.

If the kids were taking a field trip to mass, or a church, or a nativity, or to sit on Jesus' lap then I get it but its SANTA. And if kids dont want to go they can stay at school, no big deal. Last week my gs opted out of a field trip to a movie theater. He helped out in other classes and caught up of some school work, I dont see the big deal.

And those worried about their tax dollars used for some kids to go see Santa, well your probably the same ones worried about what food people purchase with EBT. The government wastes your tax money every single day on all manner of foolishness and your going to sweat a trip to go see Santa because its not educational. Are you aware of the number of school programs that have nothing to do with education.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Santa = Christmas = Christianity. Any attempt to claim otherwise is ignorant. If the choice is for non-Christian students to participate in a religious-based tradition or voluntarily exclude themselves, that's discrimination.
I hate to be the one to have to tell you this ....... but Santa isn't real. It is your parents that put your gifts under the tree.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
How many times do I have to repeat this. CHRISTmas is a religious holiday. Santa, while not religious in nature, is associated with this specific religious holiday. It's not some random thing, it's part of Christmas. Forcing people who do not observe Christmas to participate or be excluded from a PUBLIC school activity is discrimination.

It's heartbreaking to me that my fellow American citizens feel this way and have so little knowledge, and more importantly, understanding of the history of our country and why it was founded.

Quote:
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State -- Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Old 12-21-2015, 01:36 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
When my oldest was in kindergarten, I was supposed to bring plates and napkins for their "holiday" party. I brought stuff with a Santa Claus theme - didn't occur to me at all that that was "wrong" - and they didn't use them because it was Santa Claus. The school also always had a Christmas tree in the main entrance and by the time my kids were a little older in grade school, the Christmas tree had been banned because some parents had complained about it.

When I went to grade school, we sang Christmas songs that actually had the words "Lord" and "Jesus" in them and we did a school play every year that included the nativity, angels, etc.

I am tired of everyone being SO offended by everything these days - even GOOD things people take offense at! Be offended by things that matter - like terrorists. Not by kids who believe in Santa Claus.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Some people need to lighten up. Let the kids enjoy the magic and the fun while they are still young enough to believe in Santa. In any event, he is so far removed from any real religious significance that it really doesn't matter.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
How many times do I have to repeat this. CHRISTmas is a religious holiday. Santa, while not religious in nature, is associated with this specific religious holiday. It's not some random thing, it's part of Christmas. Forcing people who do not observe Christmas to participate or be excluded from a PUBLIC school activity is discrimination.

It's heartbreaking to me that my fellow American citizens feel this way and have so little knowledge, and more importantly, understanding of the history of our country and why it was founded.
Your first sentence said it all....You agree that Santa is not a religious figure. Thus making your religious discrimination argument flawed and moot

Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Yes you do.

Here read up on the history of Christmas, a pagan festival celebrating the god Saturn.
And Christmas had nothing to do with the founding of our country.

History of Christmas - Christmas - HISTORY.com

Jesus' birth on 12/25 didn't enter the picture until 350AD

Old 12-21-2015, 01:53 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Obtuseness abounds. Santa doesn't have to be religious to be associated with a religious holiday. There's no Santa on Thanksgiving or Easter or Labor Day, just Christmas. It doesn't matter that Santa isn't religious, it's still part of a religious holiday. You don't have to be Christian to observe Christmas but people who practice a different religion mostly do not, and public school children should not have Santa put into their curriculum, thus forcing a belief related to the observance of a religious holiday on them.

But apparently that doesn't matter, as long as the people who want to put Santa into public schools get their way. Why is it that it's ok for you to force your beliefs and preferences on others but you are outraged when others just try to get you to stop without even trying to force you to follow their beliefs? No one is asking you to not celebrate Christmas or to not make Santa a fun and wonderful thing for your family. We are just saying don't make it happen in public school where not everybody believes the same thing.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:56 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,601 times
Quote:
Because that amounts to discrimination - excluding a non-Christian child because of their religious beliefs. Last time I checked, that was against the Constitution.
that's not discrimination. the child wasn't being denied or excluded from going by the school.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes you do.

Here read up on the history of Christmas, a pagan festival celebrating the god Saturn.
And Christmas had nothing to do with the founding of our country.

History of Christmas - Christmas - HISTORY.com

Jesus' birth on 12/25 didn't enter the picture until 350AD
But Happy, that isn't good enough....because I don't celebrate Christmas, I don't want me or my bundle of special joy subjected to it....I come from the mindset of "I want what I want and I am special and should get what I want" it doesn't matter if I ruin it for the vast majority of the population, if they are miserable, so be it, I care about MY feelings, not theirs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events