Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 03:54 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Alright.....time to play the devil's advocate card. A very good friend of mine is 1) Mensa Member 2) Published author 3) Highly respected college professor. According to him, the incoming freshman classes just get dumber every year. So, taking that into consideration, will an hour or two seeing Santa REALLY make that much of a difference in those kids education????
Field trips never ever take an hour or two.

There are so many other cool things they could do, that would include everyone, be interesting, fun and informative, instead of going to see the dude that's going to be coming down their chimney anyway and that's plastered all over Dodge already.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
School is first and foremost about EDUCATION, not simply "fun."
who said schools should be simply "fun"? pretty sure everyone agrees that schools are for learning and education.

having some fun relating to school is not such a bad thing. geez...

Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
School is first and foremost about EDUCATION, not simply "fun." If the educational trip is also fun (like going to the zoo to learn about wild animals, or going to a living history park which will of course involve being outside as part of the experience), I'm fine with it. But just going to a popular movie, or to the mall, during school hours - nonsense! Kids have the rest of the week to have fun; it's not asking too much of the precious little darlings to spend a few hours each day concentrating on such un-fun things as learning to read, write, and cipher.
I'm fairly certain the kindergarteners who went on this outing in the past have by now flunked out of middle school.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:18 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm fairly certain the kindergarteners who went on this outing in the past have by now flunked out of middle school.
I'm fairly sure the kindergartners who went on this outing the past learned absolutely nothing worthwhile from it, which makes the activity impossible to justify to the taxpayers who actually funded the thing.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:25 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Very true. This outing cast a shadow over their academic careers from which they have never recovered.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:28 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,443 times
US has more than one religion.
Public schools maybe doing this for centuries and will do if no one objects but things have changed.
It opens a whole new can of worms when Jews, Hindus, Jains, Buddhists etc... also want similar corresponding religious activities in school.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I can't believe there are Christians (supposedly) in this thread calling for people to leave the country because they disagree on the practice of visiting Santa at school.

Public school, publicly funded, should follow the law, right? The law comes from the Constitution, yes? Therefore public school operates under the control of the Constitution... just like the rest of the country. If you don't agree with the Constitution, maybe YOU should leave the country!

Why are people so ignorant? (Maybe because their school days were filled with happy-fun-time instead of learning?)

What is wrong with what they ended up doing? Having 8 visitors come and talk about their different cultures, holidays and traditions? Everyone sitting on Santa's lap is better than that?
Please tell me what constitutional law a school is violating by having a Santa Field Trip?

Old 12-21-2015, 04:30 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
well they made the NEWS!! now that family will have to move out of town - and kids will hate the Jews forevermore
sigh But my opinion Santa has nothing to do with religion -in fact I think the opposite, but it is the same Holiday

Old 12-21-2015, 04:31 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo2020 View Post
If you have fun you are learning more, going to movie once a year with whole class is NOT bad idea.
Sp Ed kids going to mall to learn how to react to other people etc.
We talk about just once a year and not every month.
Give the poor kids a break.
Whoa.

Special ed kids going to the mall is something very different. We used to do that. Every kid was given an amount of money to spend, and they had to learn:
1. how to read prices
2. how to budget their money
3. how to interact with store clerks, etc.

While it may have been fun to them (although quite a few actually found it a bit overwhelming, rather than fun), the activity supported the approved curriculum of teaching special ed kids life skills.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:33 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,308 times
Quote:
I'm fairly sure the kindergartners who went on this outing the past learned absolutely nothing worthwhile from it, which makes the activity impossible to justify to the taxpayers who actually funded the thing.
What about HS kids leaving class early for basketball playoffs, maybe we need to cancel all school sports as well....I mean the taxpayers are paying the cost of the buses to get them to the game, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events