Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times

Advertisements

BillyJack and longneckone, all of us pay our own tab. This wealth(ier) lady who is a bad tipper is generous in other areas, always making meals for those who are sick, etc. and has a heart of gold. So I like her a lot. But she just has a different idea about tipping.

She made a point of telling me she puts it on her card that gives her back 5%. Like that would really make any difference in her life. I get the impression that she is trying to guide / help me because she knows I'm not in her "class".

One of the other ladies made a remark, saying maybe we should leave the table, and I said yes and muttered something about paying a bit more because we'd been there so long. There were a couple nods.

I'm wondering if sometimes people who leave tracts also leave a tip on the way out when they add it to their credit card? So maybe this isn't happening as much as we think. This time I left mine on the table & paid cash because it's up to the waitress how she handles the taxes, not my call.

(And I admit to also not reading the article)...

Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It made the news because there is an assault on religion, and in particular in this country, Christianity.
As with all liberals/progressives, they wish to tear down the pillars of a traditional society. They know consciously or unconsciously that if you erode the foundation of morals/values, that is the best way to remake a society of anything goes.
The media (which is typically liberal) likes to denigrate anything religious (except apparently Islamic Sharia). Regardless, when someone says "God bless you", I always take it as a good thing. If I were a waiter, I certainly want to make money, but if someone left me a bible verse, I wouldn't be all up in arms about it.
What does this have to do with the topic you might ask?

Simple, as money is the root of most evil. I am religious, but not overly so. I believe in tipping generously for great service, standard rate for good service, below the norm for poor service. I have also been known to verbally tell the waiter what was lacking, or even write a note explaining the tip reflects the quality of the service.
Just as many people (including myself) will use a movie or TV show to make their point, others might use bible verses to get a message across.

The bottom line is that this story was framed in such a way as to demean the customer as having done something wrong. In reality they may have done something outside of the norm, but money is not always the only thing we should be focused on.

BTW - On a side note, I have a friend who has very little money. Instead of buying Christmas cards, he takes the time to write out a positive Christmas message on a sheet of paper and gives it to his friends.
While some people might find it weird or inappropriate, to me it means more. Anyone can go out and pick a Hallmark card for it's words and buy it. But if someone is willing to make the effort to write out their well wishes, it shows how it comes from the heart, not the wallet.

`

Just stay out of restaurants. People who lecture servers about etiquette should just stay home.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:35 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree. I've stated this before, but it bears repeating: Tipping is not based on the bill alone, but also on the time spent eating at the table. Leaving a 5-dollar tip for a 20-dollar meal is sufficient, if you don't linger at the table. But if you insist on endless coffee refills, multiple rounds of drinks, desserts, etc, and lounge around for several hours, then the tip should increase accordingly, because that table could have turned over at least twice already..

So many people don't grasp this..
It's also based on the service I receive. If you take my order, deliver my food, then never return again to find out if everything is satisfactory, or if I need anything else, then your tip reflects that. If I have to hunt you down to get silverware, a refill, a correction to my meal or to pay my bill, your tip will reflect that. If you leave dirty dishes in front of me, and never come to get them, then your tip will reflect that.

It will also be worse if you ignore me, but I see you yucking it up without attending to your tables.

So many people don't grasp this...

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 AM

79 posts, read 53,863 times
When I worked at a steakhouse, Sundays were the worst. Religious people always like to eat after church and they love putting the waiter or waitress on the spot. I can't tell you how many times religious people tried to bait me into conversations about god by saying things like "Isn't the Lord good?" and expecting me to respond. I did not play along but would ignore the statement and simply try to drive the conversation back to food or drinks. Still, many religious people that tried to bait me and were unsuccessful would stiff the table in the end to punish me for not playing along. Pathetic, but expected.

There were a few times that people left these fake bills and it was always a bit of a shock. Like, if you wanna leave a dumb tract fine, but at least have the decency to leave a little cash with it.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:46 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's also based on the service I receive. If you take my order, deliver my food, then never return again to find out if everything is satisfactory, or if I need anything else, then your tip reflects that. If I have to hunt you down to get silverware, a refill, a correction to my meal or to pay my bill, your tip will reflect that. If you leave dirty dishes in front of me, and never come to get them, then your tip will reflect that.

It will also be worse if you ignore me, but I see you yucking it up without attending to your tables.

So many people don't grasp this...

Agreed But the scale should also go the other way.. Friendly server going out of their way to make sure you are satisfied should also have that reflected in tip.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:56 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Agreed But the scale should also go the other way.. Friendly server going out of their way to make sure you are satisfied should also have that reflected in tip.
Absolutely. You're going to earn that tip, but great service gets a great tip.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It made the news because there is an assault on religion, and in particular in this country, Christianity.
As with all liberals/progressives, they wish to tear down the pillars of a traditional society. They know consciously or unconsciously that if you erode the foundation of morals/values, that is the best way to remake a society of anything goes.
The media (which is typically liberal) likes to denigrate anything religious (except apparently Islamic Sharia). Regardless, when someone says "God bless you", I always take it as a good thing. If I were a waiter, I certainly want to make money, but if someone left me a bible verse, I wouldn't be all up in arms about it.
What does this have to do with the topic you might ask?

Simple, as money is the root of most evil. I am religious, but not overly so. I believe in tipping generously for great service, standard rate for good service, below the norm for poor service. I have also been known to verbally tell the waiter what was lacking, or even write a note explaining the tip reflects the quality of the service.
Just as many people (including myself) will use a movie or TV show to make their point, others might use bible verses to get a message across.

The bottom line is that this story was framed in such a way as to demean the customer as having done something wrong. In reality they may have done something outside of the norm, but money is not always the only thing we should be focused on.

BTW - On a side note, I have a friend who has very little money. Instead of buying Christmas cards, he takes the time to write out a positive Christmas message on a sheet of paper and gives it to his friends.
While some people might find it weird or inappropriate, to me it means more. Anyone can go out and pick a Hallmark card for it's words and buy it. But if someone is willing to make the effort to write out their well wishes, it shows how it comes from the heart, not the wallet.

`
Then you should know that the correct quote is "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." Timothy 6:10.

That's the love of money not money itself. Don't try to justify an unkind act by blaming those who report it. The only message gotten across here was deceit and meanness. I'm sure the waiter was working for wages and not because of greed. This was a totally opportunistic, inappropriate manner to get a religious agenda across to someone who was a captive audience. Workers need wages. They work for money not biblical verses.

I think this was just a very nasty prank.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The "being baited"! Sending out the "Christian Catchphrases". The first time I met DH's parents, we were looking at DH's senior yearbook (Christian School) and a page said, "Jesus Christ has the answer to life's puzzles". FIL pointed to that and said, "Don't you think that's true?" I jokingly said, "Can he figure him out?" (meaning my DH, who I pointed to). Not the answer he wanted to hear.

And those "miracle" stories. Constantly spoon fed to you in hopes you'll see the light. The broke family who still manages to "tithe" and gets a huge monetary reward. A couple of years ago, there was a bad storm that leveled an elementary school on a Christian school campus...the whole building was demolished except for...a picture of JESUS. Praise the Lord! A message! The portrait of Jesus alone survived the storm! My daughter's take? What a total NARCISSIST! He lets the building get leveled, but saves his own picture!

He was probably too busy making sure some sports team won some championship game.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This patron is cheap. If he was really behaving in a Christian way he would have left some money with that message masquerading as a $20.

Kansas waiter's $20 tip was actually a Bible pamphlet | www.ajc.com
Individuals like this do not represent the majority of us true Christians.

I wonder why this patron assumes that the waiter is not already a Christian?

Perhaps, the patron meant well but I'm pretty sure that giving a Christian pamphlet in lieu of a tip is not what Jesus would do.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Individuals like this do not represent the majority of us true Christians.

I wonder why this patron assumes that the waiter is not already a Christian?

Perhaps, the patron meant well but I'm pretty sure that giving a Christian pamphlet in lieu of a tip is not what Jesus would do.
That's a very good point. The waiter may have been very devout as well. I wonder why the customer would just assume he wasn't.

I don't really think it's proper to infringe on someone's beliefs but I would not have objected to someone's leaving me a religious tract along with a tip when I waited tables. I may have read it or I may have thrown it away.

It's the manner in which this was left is what is shameful because it was a deceit. I hope this person's God will forgive him because I am pretty sure it's like taking His name in vain disguising the word of God as money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events