Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 07:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,643,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
That is a good point. I was extremely literal as a child. I remember hearing the phrase "making ends meet" and asking what type of meat was that?
Ha, ha! I think that meat is called sausage!

I remember one of my daughters commenting about a common road sign "Hidden Driveway", which cautioned drivers that a car might be pulling onto the road from around a curve. She asked me why those signs were there, saying "maybe the people who live there WANT their driveway to be hidden!".

I withheld my laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yeah, but there were exactly zero "cool" black or brown kids. All of them were "not cool" and labeled as such.
Could that happen in reality given a sample of 15-20 kids?

Old 06-29-2016, 07:57 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
The fact that this dumb little poster is a national debate shows exactly how far we've progressed from true racism. It wasn't all that long ago that white people would drain the pool and replace the water if a person of color swam in it. THAT was racism!

I don't believe there was any malice behind that poster, the red cross is a very inclusive organization. I believe everyone looking at that poster saw no color right up until the one seeking a reason to be offended saw it. Now these racial extremists are causing an organization to spend their donations to recreate something to satisfy a small group of people that are already seeking the next item to be offended about.

I really wish these social justice warriors would take on some more worthwhile causes, but instead they pick easy targets. There are plenty of atrocities happening in the US and around the world every single day. this poster isn't one of them.

I believe this is because organizations keep apologizing rather than standing up for themselves.

Who remembers the Hallmark Card that caused the NAACP to war against the company? Though clearly the graduation card says "black holes", not "black hos", Hallmark apologized and recalled the greeting card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k--lBw8nTCk

Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The American Red Cross has a safety poster about proper pool behavior. Two Colorado pools posted this...until parents started to tweet/complain. What were they thinking? The artist/designer, the Red Cross to put their name on it, and the pools to post it?

Red Cross apologizes for ‘racist’ pool safety poster | WGN-TV

I know some people claim to be color-blind, but c'mon? It can't just be a coincidence that the misbehaving kids were all pictured as kids of color.
Good lord! Who would actually complain about this??

Old 06-29-2016, 09:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,624,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So a little bit of racism is OK? Isn't that similar to being a little bit pregnant?
Racism is an active decision. I'm not convinced someone created this posted with any racial thoughts in their mind. I think someone looked at the poster in search of something to be offended by.

There is no combination of skin colors that could have been presented on that poster that didn't offend someone in this climate where everyone is looking to find that offensive golden nugget for twitter.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,762,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Is it possible to have a situation where more black kids than whites are misbehaving?
Is it possible to find a solution that doesn't involve going to the other extreme to perpetuate the hate and bad feelings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Some people really need to get a life. This is what a society that has come off the rails looks like people when this type of nonsense becomes "news" and people get worked up over it.

Perhaps the "activists" concerned should concentrate their outrage to something truly more productive/worthy like addressing all the inner city kids/young adults getting killed in places with lots of violence that is out of control in places like Chicago. Yet here they are concerned about a poster.

Maybe those "Activists" have enough brain power and time to be concerned about both. Maybe you could show less concern worrying about what some people feel about this poster. If it is changed and it bothers you, maybe you are just as concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But it all happened under the supervision of a black person, the lifeguard. Where's HIS responsibility in all of this?

He wasn't paying attention, he was too busy checking out the hot white moms.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Is it possible to find a solution that doesn't involve going to the other extreme to perpetuate the hate and bad feelings?
What extreme?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:56 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The American Red Cross has a safety poster about proper pool behavior. Two Colorado pools posted this...until parents started to tweet/complain. What were they thinking? The artist/designer, the Red Cross to put their name on it, and the pools to post it?

Red Cross apologizes for ‘racist’ pool safety poster | WGN-TV

I know some people claim to be color-blind, but c'mon? It can't just be a coincidence that the misbehaving kids were all pictured as kids of color.

Is this an Onion article ? For F@&k's sake , if people see racism in that , they are going out of their way to find racism in everything and are part of the problem.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Good lord! Who would actually complain about this??
It would offend me if I were the mother of a Black or Latino child. The poster depicts Blacks and Latinos as being the mischief-makers, doing bad things, and all the white kids as good little kids.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
Racism is an active decision. I'm not convinced someone created this posted with any racial thoughts in their mind. I think someone looked at the poster in search of something to be offended by.

There is no combination of skin colors that could have been presented on that poster that didn't offend someone in this climate where everyone is looking to find that offensive golden nugget for twitter.
No need for anyone to search. It's pretty much 'in your face' racism.

Why is not ONE white kid doing anything wrong? The people who don't see anything wrong with the poster (and that could include the artist) see nothing wrong with it because they EXPECT Black kids to be the trouble-makers; they KNOW it in their hearts, even though there are millions of Black kids who do nothing wrong their entire lives; never see the inside of a jail, never were arrested.

That's ingrained racism.

Racism is NOT an active decision for children. This poster was aimed at children. As I said in a previous post, children are very impressionable. You don't think a Black kid will notice that ALL the Black kids in that poster are 'not cool'? And that all the White kids are cool?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events