Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 12:39 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
But the ikea furniture in question will fall, even when empty if too many drawers are open at the same time. It’s flawed in it’s design. No leverage needed, just open all of the drawers and watch it fall. This is not normal for most pieces of furniture.
Then screw it into a brace which attaches to the wall. People have been doing that for decades. If someone can't figure that out, they shouldn't have children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
This is an interesting article which talks about the reasons for tip over hazards and why some furniture is more at risk for it then others. It also shows that only 27% of Americans secure their furniture to walls and some of the reasons why.

https://www.consumerreports.org/furn...eaths-persist/

Old 01-08-2020, 10:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Common sense? I have never had to fasten furniture to a wall. When I buy furniture I test to see how stable it is first. If it isn't sturdy then I don't buy it. That is common sense. I'd never bring some furniture into my home that would tip over. All of my furniture is very well built and I didn't pay much for it. Common sense would be not bringing such lousy furniture inside your home in the first place.
All furniture can tip over if leveraged enough. People with kids need to fasten things like TVs and drawers because a child crawling and hanging on it can cause any drawer to fall over or a TV to fall.

Common sense says this, basic safety says this. And guess what, the instructions IKEA provided said to do this. Is it not common sense in your book to follow instructions?

Old 01-08-2020, 01:21 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidepod View Post
Sounds like people need to actually watch their kids and not let them climb over things that they shouldnt.
Your statement makes me think you don't have much experience with kids. Whether you do or you don't, I personally always remind myself and others of this:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE CURIOSTIY OF A CHILD!

Old 01-08-2020, 01:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
A big problem with IKEA furniture is nearly none of it is solid wood. It's either laminated cardboard or what looks like thick wood is actually an empty space with honycombed cardboard on the inside. So if you're going to attach it to the wall it has to anchored using a a toggle bolt so it can't pull away from the wall at all. The anchors they supply can be pulled from the wall.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...2544/203902921

Old 01-08-2020, 02:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Common sense? I have never had to fasten furniture to a wall. When I buy furniture I test to see how stable it is first. If it isn't sturdy then I don't buy it. That is common sense. I'd never bring some furniture into my home that would tip over. All of my furniture is very well built and I didn't pay much for it. Common sense would be not bringing such lousy furniture inside your home in the first place.
Neither have I. You purchase solid wood or particle board wood furniture which is heavy when put together and when it's filled it's even heavier. IKEA furniture is basically stacked cardboard boxes. When has a cardboard box ever been sturdy?

Old 01-08-2020, 02:09 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidepod View Post
I have raised kids and looked after other family members children. I never once allowed any of those children to climb on furniture and made sure they did not cause serious harm to themselves. It wasnt a hard thing to do, I just paid attention to what they were doing while they were in my care.
So did I and I agree with you. However, children will sometimes do stupid things when a caregiver happens to look away for a mere second. I'm not looking for a fight here.

I stand by my mantra:
NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE CURIOSTIY OF A CHILD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events