Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:52 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
???? Really? Well, forgive me for saying this, but....aren't you supposed to WORK at work? Instead of Pokémoning?
Have you ever tried to catch a Pokémon? That is hard work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:53 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
here at the air traffic control center, this game has taken us by storm!
Haha I love it.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, for goodness sake, the kids are out having fun! We had a brief conversation about appropriate sites for the game and safety, and then we set them off. My husband and daughter spent a couple of hours last night at the very large park down the street playing the game, and they met a lot of neighbors, young and old, doing the same thing. They had a ball! Let it go already.
People having fun?! Are you mad woman? In my day, there was no fun! Work, work, work. And no laughing. And definitely no smiling. Ever.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I agree that it's a bit inappropriate to be playing at somber museums and memorials but I place the blame on the developers who allowed Pokemon to "appear" in those locations.

Even without Pokemon Go people are frequently smiling, laughing, and taking happy selfies, group and individually, in front of the 9/11 Memorial so really...
If a memorial was dedicated to my memory, I'd be happy that people were having fun in that site. I don't think the dead give a whit about people mugging for a camera and I'd think, with their advanced knowledge of life after death, they'd encourage all the fun one could have during this life.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I guess maybe you haven't been to the 9/11 Memorial then and seen the blatant disrespect and apparent lack of understanding of the gravity of the site that some display. It's literally a gravesite for nearly 3000 people. So many people were never found, not even a single bone fragment. I know people whose husbands and dads were never found. Went to work and disappeared. Disintegrated.

I don't necessarily have an issue with pictures even selfies, but it's the behavior some exhibit while they're doing it. As if they're in a park, so carefree and clueless and happy. I'm fine with documenting the moment but there's a way to do it. I'm not saying you should walk around the Memorial crying the whole time, but I wouldn't be laughing in a group of fellow tourists and taking upbeat group photos with the reflecting pool as my backdrop, as if I was at the beach with friends, posing and giving my friends bunny ears. I don't know, I guess for me being where I'm from with New York being my city I just find it exceptionally disrespectful. Some people just don't get it, and never will. Maybe they never can.

The 9/11 Memorial and others and other somber museums for terrible events isn't the Statue of Liberty or Central Park. There's a time and a place for the happy go lucky touristy behavior. Put the camera down for a second and really reflect on what happened there. Save the happy selfies and endless laughing in your own little bubble for another site. I worked near the Memorial for almost a year and walked by it every time on my way in. And "by it" means on the sidewalk right next to it, so I was basically right there, on the West Side Highway/West Street for anyone who knows the area at all, at Liberty Street. So I always, I mean always, saw blatant disrespect and overly happy idiot tourists who clearly just didn't get it. There's a way to act at a place like that.

It would be like me taking happy selfies and laughing with my friends at Auschwitz. I don't have any personal connection to the Holocaust or the site, so why not? Except I'm not like that. I understand what happened there and I respect it, I walk around quietly and reflectively and I am somber because I know what I'm walking on and why I am there. I'm not playing Pokemon Go like some idiot who hasn't a clue of the gravity of the site. I guess I just take this stuff kind of seriously.
Our First Public Parks: The Forgotten History of Cemeteries - The Atlantic

People seem to forget that cemeteries were designed with the purpose of living human beings living amongst the dead. As with so many other things, this odd sense of propriety has pervaded society to the point of ridiculous solemnity.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I do understand, which is why I had a chat about appropriate sites for playing with my kids. There's a church near our home, and my husband and I have made it very clear that our children are not to tromp all over the grounds seeking Pokemon, because it's inappropriate. People need to exercise good sense, but Go is hardly the beginning of the end for civilized society. The game is fun, and I love seeing my kids and their friends enjoy themselves while playing.
Oh, please do check with the church! They may welcome the visitors. Our church has embraced the Pokemon Go phenomenon to the point of posting helpful hints to Pokemon hunters on their Facebook page.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:54 PM

To the sheeple comments: Bah, ****ing, bah. @@

Old 07-16-2016, 04:14 PM

7,645 posts, read 4,594,923 times
It may not be perfect, but Nintendo's done some cool things to make video games more active. They had the first floor pad, they made the Wii...now they've got Pokemon Go. I think it's great.

I haven't played it yet, and likely won't, but I'm glad it's getting children outside again and playing together. If they need the electronic pacifier to do so...fine. Hell, as a kid we hunted all kinds of imaginary beings. Robbers, Pirates, Looked for Treasure, Looked for clues to solve a mystery etc.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh, please do check with the church! They may welcome the visitors. Our church has embraced the Pokemon Go phenomenon to the point of posting helpful hints to Pokemon hunters on their Facebook page.
Hmmm. You may be right. I will check it out.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:44 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I'm 49 and my son is 8 and we were playing...
I'm 69 and I think it's great fun, I'm just worried about blowing through the data on my phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events