Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:44 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,306,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrltenSpke11 View Post
What I don't understand is why the teacher chose to fight with his student instead of control his behavior better in the classroom. Apparently the teacher doesn't have much leadership to control his class and a lack of leadership in the city leaders. Also I am suspecting the teachers' union is allowing underperforming teachers in Philly keep their jobs.
And what's your great plan for controlling this teen? The student was late and what would you do?

There's this world of people with great plans of how they would handle every teacher situation when they have never been in a classroom. Specifically a classroom in a poor urban area.

So what was your plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 09:21 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
I'm a little confused about this. So, the teacher is not allowed to defend himself?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM

35,042 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Philadelphia student caught on camera in a violent fist-fight with his teacher | Daily Mail Online

This stuff is getting old. And I'm sure the teacher is going to get fired over this. I would have knocked that kid unconscious. I don't know what is wrong with our youth these days. Well I do people with no right to have kids keep having kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
It is a combination of lazy parenting, CYS/CPS/whatever overstepping harassing decent parents and even schools are to blame when they do the everyone is a winner no one can do wrong crap that happens today. Kids and teens these days can get away with so much more than they used to because the parents are either unwilling to, or are too damn scared to discipline them.
This is also due in part to the Ferguson Syndrome, where officers and authorities are afraid to enforce order for fear of losing their jobs. We should back up rather than second guess those that maintain order, see for example 3 Walmart employees charged with manslaughter in death of shoplifter.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 PM

35,042 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoball1 View Post
The real problem is the lack of education the good students are getting because of these animals. Best to home school if you can. They can get a GED at 15 and start college at 16 and be miles ahead of the dumbed down "one size fits all" programs that the government can offer.
I have a friend and law colleague that graduated law school in June after he had turned 21 that preceding February. He was off the charts bright.

He took a GRE exam when he was 15, after a year of high school. UCLA told his father that "that exam is to give disadvantaged people a chance." My friend's father suggested discussing that in court. So he matriculated when he was 15, finishing in three years. Thus, he started law school when he was 18, graduating when he was 21. His social development was about a year or so behind the more typical graduating age of 25, so really not far off.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,138 times
Quote:
He landed 1 punch vs about 20 that the student landed
Teach needs to get some self-defense lessons or maybe some jiu-jitsu training.
It should have been nothing to back that kid up against the wall, give him a knee in the nuts and then put him in a chickenwing to restrain him.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:56 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My teachers used to lock the door. If you were late you couldn't get in and the hall monitors would send you to the office

Mine too! And if you mouthed off in any way you went straight to the office for discipline. Kids these days have no respect for elders at all and it's quite sad. Al comes down from how their raised, PERIOD!!

Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Philadelphia student caught on camera in a violent fist-fight with his teacher | Daily Mail Online

This stuff is getting old. And I'm sure the teacher is going to get fired over this. I would have knocked that kid unconscious. I don't know what is wrong with our youth these days. Well I do people with no right to have kids keep having kids
lol..."youth these days"....this is not new.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:37 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,561,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Teach needs to get some self-defense lessons or maybe some jiu-jitsu training.
It should have been nothing to back that kid up against the wall, give him a knee in the nuts and then put him in a chickenwing to restrain him.
Back when I was in school the teachers at my school were nuns. They could teach any person how to handle a student properly. I swear some of them would of done well in the UFC.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:55 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,349,573 times
I think that much of the blame for situations like this should go to liberal do-gooders who put the feelings of every Special Snowflake ahead of what is best for the majority and school administrations who lack the guts to expect good behavior and a determination to graduate -- and to issue consequences for those who don't perform to the best of his or her ability. (Yes, I do realize that kids do vary in their abilities and that some do suffer from ADHD or other inherent difficulties, but no child should be allowed to become violent with anyone or distract others from learning.)

And, yes, I also know that some parents are at fault, too and that some kids just refuse to learn or to behave even if they have strict parents -- I definitely will not argue about that -- but I think that public schools in general have definitely become too lax today, imo, and not just in poor areas, either!

(Btw, I am a political moderate.)

P.S. I think we need many more administrators like Joe Clark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evA9nkdOhKU

Last edited by katharsis; 09-23-2016 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 11:58 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Back when I was in school the teachers at my school were nuns. They could teach any person how to handle a student properly. I swear some of them would of done well in the UFC.
I always hear the stories from my mother and aunts/uncles about getting beaten with a ruler by nuns in their school. They all turned out ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events