Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

I guess the folks bad mouthing bail agents would rather have more criminals out preying on them? How would you like bondsmen to recover their loss when the criminals fail to show in court?

Maybe just not have bonds? So when YOU are arrested for using a gun to defend your kids from a scumbag YOU can then rot in jail for a year or two waiting trial to clear yourself. Meanwhile losing job, house, family.

There are bad, stupid bail agents, and bad cops. Most are good, so you never hear from them.

In this case probably eyes on, call pd to make arrest - unless pd won't respond. Good possibility. Your bond, your problem. Call us when you reach the jail. That unfortunately is how many bond revocations go.

Most states now have very stringent licensing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Most "bounty hunters" are professional Surety Agents and perform a much needed service without cost to the taxpayers.
Police are over worked and too overburdened to deal with such matters. As far as I am concerned, any criminal taken off the streets by anyone is a positive thing.

However it would seem as if these two guys were not using common sense and endangered others unnecessarily.
Still I would not put them on the same level as the wanted scumbag criminal who they were trying to apprehend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I guess the folks bad mouthing bail agents would rather have more criminals out preying on them? How would you like bondsmen to recover their loss when the criminals fail to show in court?

Maybe just not have bonds? So when YOU are arrested for using a gun to defend your kids from a scumbag YOU can then rot in jail for a year or two waiting trial to clear yourself. Meanwhile losing job, house, family.

There are bad, stupid bail agents, and bad cops. Most are good, so you never hear from them.

In this case probably eyes on, call pd to make arrest - unless pd won't respond. Good possibility. Your bond, your problem. Call us when you reach the jail. That unfortunately is how many bond revocations go.

Most states now have very stringent licensing.
I can see your post reflects mine, yet far too many people are ready to pass judgment with sweeping generalizations over the entire profession.
It is so easy to play armchair quarterback when you have no clue how the system works.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:26 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Firearms training isn't required for the license in Texas & the license doesn't allow you to carry - if you have a concealed weapons permit you can carry a firearm, but the required training is the same as anyone else with a concealed permit.
In the last biennial (every two years) legislative session (2015), the law was changed to allow open carry and all concealed carry licenses would become open carry automatically. New and renewed license cards would be printed as Open Carry instead of Concealed. Forbidding guns on private premises was changed from opt-out to opt-in by having to invest in signage to state that by section (of the law) that carrying concealed and/or open carry was prohibited in these premises. For example, my church has had to print that statement on the back section (towards the bottom) of the liturgical handout every Sunday since September 1, 2015.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
In the last biennial (every two years) legislative session (2015), the law was changed to allow open carry and all concealed carry licenses would become open carry automatically. New and renewed license cards would be printed as Open Carry instead of Concealed. Forbidding guns on private premises was changed from opt-out to opt-in by having to invest in signage to state that by section (of the law) that carrying concealed and/or open carry was prohibited in these premises. For example, my church has had to print that statement on the back section (towards the bottom) of the liturgical handout every Sunday since September 1, 2015.
The average Texan with a carry license or open carry does not hunt fugitives so I am not sure the discussion along that line is relevant.

To be a "fugitive recovery agent" in Texas there is not a specific bounty hunter designation, but you have to be either a police officer, a licensed private investigator, or a commissioned security officer through the state of Texas. All three require training.
How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Texas - TX | Texas Bounty Hunter School and License Requirements

Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The average Texan with a carry license or open carry does not hunt fugitives so I am not sure the discussion along that line is relevant.

To be a "fugitive recovery agent" in Texas there is not a specific bounty hunter designation, but you have to be either a police officer, a licensed private investigator, or a commissioned security officer through the state of Texas. All three require training.
How to Become a Bounty Hunter in Texas - TX | Texas Bounty Hunter School and License Requirements
In AZ you just mail twenty bucks to the insurance commission and you are an official bail recovery agent. Then you can go buy a badge and arrest bad guys. Or not.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
People. It's really much more simple than you are making it. Guns don't protect you from bullets from other guns! Kevlar does. If you go into a gunfight expecting your gun to protect you, you may be disappointed... or dead. Like those guys. I imagine a world where we are all walking around with sidearms AND kevlar vests, helmets, and face shields. Then I wake up...

Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well we are under no obligation to have a coherent discussion, and if we don't use the proper word choice we are certainly not going to have that so what's the point?

The men were not bounty hunters. They were unregulated citizens attempting to arrest a fugitive against all good sense and legal justification. A bigger issue than their methods or the outcome.
They were hired by a bail bond investigator in Minnesota, probably because it is legal in MN to hire security agents, which pretty much makes them 'bounty hunters.' I'm surprised the TX security company wouldn't know that they needed a license, or perhaps the security company was licensed and thought that would cover their employees?

Bounty hunters are not allowed to enter anyone's property other than the fugitive's without a warrant, though, so these guys either didn't know or didn't care.

As for the car dealership, who would allow people to come in and say they are federal agents and not ask for any IDs? Sounds like there was enough stupidity to spread around in this situation.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
They were hired by a bail bond investigator in Minnesota, probably because it is legal in MN to hire security agents, which pretty much makes them 'bounty hunters.' I'm surprised the TX security company wouldn't know that they needed a license, or perhaps the security company was licensed and thought that would cover their employees?

Bounty hunters are not allowed to enter anyone's property other than the fugitive's without a warrant, though, so these guys either didn't know or didn't care.

As for the car dealership, who would allow people to come in and say they are federal agents and not ask for any IDs? Sounds like there was enough stupidity to spread around in this situation.
Fair enough, I didn't know this part of the story. Nonetheless, it sounds like they were unregulated and certainly behaved as if untrained in any of the legal ramifications of apprehending a suspect.

I mean, a hospital in the state of Minnesota could hire me to do a heart transplant, but that does not make me a cardiac surgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events