Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Amazon is buying Whole Foods for $13.7 billion - Jun. 16, 2017

This was today's shock. Maybe just maybe WF's prices might come down a BIT....I like whole foods and shop at there often.. We have at least 4 stores in about a 10 mile radius of our town. And it would be great if Whole Foods starts delivery service and Trader Joe's too. I'm thinking of giving up my auto due to recent health set back and have been having delivery and friends shop for me.

My friend says WF's wasn't growing, staying even and even let some 1500 people go in the last couple yrs. Hopefully they won't employ robots...
Whole Foods has become a mature company that over expanded. There are still a few new markets and sub-markets that they could enter, but the over expansion in some places was why some employees had to go.

Don't know whether they will employ robots, but I've never met a robot with a bad attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Whole Foods has become a mature company that over expanded. There are still a few new markets and sub-markets that they could enter, but the over expansion in some places was why some employees had to go.

Don't know whether they will employ robots, but I've never met a robot with a bad attitude.
Well, there is this guy...

(although to be fair he works at Food Lion and after a 8 hour shift in that rat hole any of us would look that way )

Old 06-17-2017, 10:07 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I have mixed feelings: if they can bring down Whole Food prices a bit, that might be a good thing. However, I give this about a year and I think WH will cease to exist. They were good when they started but now they are too expensive and other places (like Fresh Thyme) are really giving them a run for their money.
Perhaps where you live. But WFs in my area (and the area where my family lives 6 hours away) are thriving. Constantly packed.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

This was today's shock. Maybe just maybe WF's prices might come down a BIT....I like whole foods and shop at there often.. We have at least 4 stores in about a 10 mile radius of our town. And it would be great if Whole Foods starts delivery service and Trader Joe's too. I'm thinking of giving up my auto due to recent health set back and have been having delivery and friends shop for me.

My friend says WF's wasn't growing, staying even and even let some 1500 people go in the last couple yrs. Hopefully they won't employ robots...
After Whole Foods acquired Wild Oats, it ended up with more stores than it could handle. In my town, the Wild Oats location was only a couple of blocks from the main WF store. Although the new location did get a good bit of business, recently they closed it. I think the chain is sloughing off quite a few of those former Wild Oats stores.

I've also noticed lately that their prices with certain goods have taken a significant jump. I don't shop there much, anymore. I can get the same items for much cheaper at other stores in town. Even our co-op, which used to be the most expensive store in town, sells things $1-$2 cheaper than Whole Foods; items like an 8-oz. packet of cheese, a half-gallon of organic milk, are that much cheaper.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I have mixed feelings: if they can bring down Whole Food prices a bit, that might be a good thing. However, I give this about a year and I think WH will cease to exist. They were good when they started but now they are too expensive and other places (like Fresh Thyme) are really giving them a run for their money.
Exactly. I've tracked their prices over years, comparing to other stores; some items were occasionally cheaper at WF than at Trader Joe's. But in the last 6 months or so, there's been a big price hike at WF. They're now way overpriced. People are going to Sprouts, instead.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post

I noticed there was no consistency of hiring policy between their old stores and the new acquisitions, too. Most of the employees at the newly-acquired store looked and behaved as though they wished they didn't have to come in to work every day. Customer service had always been WF's strong point, and they made sure their cashiers were cheerful and helpful, but that didn't carry over to the newly-acquired stores.
Each store has its own manager who does the hiring, so there's no central coordination. In my town, they lost customers because of that. The employees who were let go were the ones who needed to go. Some were relocated to other states.

I have no idea if Amazon's acquisition of WF will make any difference to management of the stores. I guess we'll find out, over time. But I wonder why WF sold out? The last I'd heard, although they were sloughing off stores that duplicated their presence in cities, they were looking to expand into smaller towns.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-17-2017 at 10:45 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Just one of WF shady practices. Hopefully Amazon will make an honest business out of them.

Lawsuit accusing Whole Foods of overcharging is revived: U.S. appeals court | Reuters

Old 06-17-2017, 02:52 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,695 times
Unless the prices are 30% less I won't shop at w f . Too expensive.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:56 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:

One reason why Amazon stands head and shoulders above their competitors. Would have been happier if they had acquired Trader joes for a billion or so...Whole food is way too overpriced in the name of Organic..

Old 06-17-2017, 04:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Unless the prices are 30% less I won't shop at w f . Too expensive.
You are not their target audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events