Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Depends on what you are talking about.

Brand name products are no different at Wal-Mart than the same brand name product at Kroger.

Actually, you're wrong about that.

I've purchased several "name brand" products at Walmart, some of them food items, & the quality was noticeably inferior. It happened too often to just be a random occurrence.

I was never really crazy about Walmart, but when we moved to the small town we now live in, the shopping options were limited, and they still are. Also, in the past couple of years, the merchandise quality, variety of choice, & availability in the local Walmart has gone down & prices have jumped a lot. This includes groceries.

I've turned to shopping Amazon more frequently for these reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
Lazy Acres stores are in Southern California.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
I don't shop at Whole Foods and I flatly refuse to have anyone do my grocery shopping for me (I'm way too picky).

Personally I'd like to see Whole Foods disappear. Its raison d'etre no longer exists.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Actually, you're wrong about that.

I've purchased several "name brand" products at Walmart, some of them food items, & the quality was noticeably inferior. It happened too often to just be a random occurrence.

Provide evidence.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:07 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
While I don't shop at Walmart, I'd say that your own bias (people are inclined to think that something sold at Walmart must be inferior to something sold at a cleaner and fancier place with more sophisticated clientele, even if the product was from the exact same manufactured lot) is far more likely that Walmart somehow conniving with Acme Brand Stuff to produce crappier stuff for Walmart than they do for, say, Target.

Most people, if given two identical placebos - one labelled Walmart and one labelled Goldman Sachs - would swear to the inefficacy of the former and the tremendous efficacy of the latter. That's just human nature.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Well, many companies do have a separate line for Walmart. Dell for example does.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't shop at Whole Foods and I flatly refuse to have anyone do my grocery shopping for me (I'm way too picky).

Personally I'd like to see Whole Foods disappear. Its raison d'etre no longer exists.
How do you mean? The only way I can think of that this makes sense is that they're no longer the exclusive purveyors of organic food; now nearly every grocery chain has an organic produce section. The difference with WF is that everything else they carry--all the packaged food in the center of the store, also has been vetted to be pesticide-free and made with healthy ingredients. They're careful with sourcing their food. The only area in which they're not up to speed with these standards is with non-GMO dairy; most of their dairy comes from cows fed GMO corn, and their corn products are made with GMO corn.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How do you mean? The only way I can think of that this makes sense is that they're no longer the exclusive purveyors of organic food; now nearly every grocery chain has an organic produce section. The difference with WF is that everything else they carry--all the packaged food in the center of the store, also has been vetted to be pesticide-free and made with healthy ingredients. They're careful with sourcing their food. The only area in which they're not up to speed with these standards is with non-GMO dairy; most of their dairy comes from cows fed GMO corn, and their corn products are made with GMO corn.
Most people don't care, though, and that's why Whole Foods is in financial trouble. Also, most regular Americans can't afford to do their weekly shopping at a store that runs on a philosophy.

Additionally, it's not a one-stop shop for most people and a lot of shoppers, when pressed for time, will switch to a regular supermarket or Wal-Mart over Whole Foods so they don't have to go to multiple stores.

A real-world example: A friend of mine in my neighborhood had a baby a couple of months ago. She buys a lot of the family's food at Whole Foods but buys pretty much everything else at Wal-Mart. The other day she was fretting about how she'd find the time to go to both stores once she goes back to work in a few months' time.

My guess is that she won't. She'll simply do all of her shopping at Wal-Mart, or she'll split the difference and shop at Kroger which has a bigger selection of organic foods.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Well, many companies do have a separate line for Walmart. Dell for example does.
That's not the same thing at all.

A Dell model 409B (just making that up) is the same wherever it is sold.
Hostess cupcakes in Wal-Mart are no different that Hostess cupcakes at Kroger.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Provide evidence.

Well, please tell me how to send to you, a package of Oreos, a jar of Miracle Whip way before its expiration date that looked funny & made us sick, Chicken of the Sea tuna, same issue, Tyson boneless/skinless chicken breasts & thighs that shrank to nothing after cooking, moldy Dave's Killer bread, produce that appeared fresh from the outside but was rotting from the inside (onions, bananas, avocados) some women's Hane's underpants that fell apart after first washing, Hanes sweatshirts that shrank from the bottom & stretched out in the neckline & cuffs after first washing.

Trust me, I'm no "I hate Walmart just because I can" individual. I just want to get my money's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events