Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:04 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Doesn't NASA keep track of all the Space Junk? Seems like an important task as reliant as we are on Satellites now days. Keep'em funded, leave the line open, incase someone is trying to call us...
Yes, NASA does and the military too. SETI has been listening for 50 years with nothing to show for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:31 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
I got the point of the guy saying that the history channel has shown that aliens have intervened and I just couldn't read this thread anymore. We haven't been visited by advanced life nor did we find aliens at area 51. Why? Physics, that is why.

Yeah, between big foot, the ghost paranormal shows and aliens the history channel has it all figured out.

If anything this announcement is likely from them finding a smallish double the earth sized plant in the habital zone which shows an atmosphere that might not kill you the second you hit the surface.
I don't think we have the technology to analyse atmospheric conditions of exoplanets yet. They are just too far away. As for this announcement, I too don't think it's about some evidence of life found elsewhere, because we haven't found any. In fact, I am taking bets. I will take 5 bets, $20 each.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
No but I do believe that there are some really hard to explain technological advances in our history that defy rational thought, such as Pumapunku

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku
Nothing at Pumapunku defies rational thought. What defies rational thought is the belief that aliens visited Bolivia and did little more than leave some magnificent masonry.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Nothing at Pumapunku defies rational thought. What defies rational thought is the belief that aliens visited Bolivia and did little more than leave some magnificent masonry.
So you're under the assumption that Bolivians created the magnificent masonry? If so, where are the tools?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
No but I do believe that there are some really hard to explain technological advances in our history that defy rational thought, such as Pumapunku

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumapunku
"AliensDidIt!"

This is a variation on "GodDidIt".

Here's how this works:
There is something that cannot presently be explained (or, more often, which can be explained but the personal incredulity of the claimant prevents them from seeing this), and instead of pausing to reflect that a failure to understand does not mean that there is a lack of a mundane reason - after all, before gravity and fusion and the mechanics of the solar system were understood, that bright heat-radiating orb that crossed the sky was utterly mystifying - for such things.

This is a common fallacy used by believers. "I refuse to believe that life could arise from non-life spontaneously. Therefore, GodDidIt!". And we see the same sort of thing claimed of ancient goings-on, where instead of God, aliens are the magical entity behind something that claimant just refused to accept occurred by non-fantastic means.

It is always useful to apply Occam's Razor.

You can't find your car keys. Where did they go? You're certain you left them on the table by the door. You positively know you did!

"Aliens from Alpha Centauri teleported down to Earth and swiped them!"

Ooops! You find your keys on the kitchen counter.

"A-ha! That crafty alien from Alpha Centauri put them there!"

Now, I am not saying that extraterrestrial life does not exist. Nor am I saying it exists, for our data on this issue is so limited that there's really little evidence either way. But to say "Wow! I'm surprised that stone age peoples could build such a thing! Must be aliens, because that's much more plausible than simply conceding that said people were simply more technologically capable than I would have thought!".

That's nonsense. There is no other way to put it.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:15 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
"AliensDidIt!"

This is a variation on "GodDidIt".

Here's how this works:
There is something that cannot presently be explained (or, more often, which can be explained but the personal incredulity of the claimant prevents them from seeing this), and instead of pausing to reflect that a failure to understand does not mean that there is a lack of a mundane reason - after all, before gravity and fusion and the mechanics of the solar system were understood, that bright heat-radiating orb that crossed the sky was utterly mystifying - for such things.

This is a common fallacy used by believers. "I refuse to believe that life could arise from non-life spontaneously. Therefore, GodDidIt!". And we see the same sort of thing claimed of ancient goings-on, where instead of God, aliens are the magical entity behind something that claimant just refused to accept occurred by non-fantastic means.

It is always useful to apply Occam's Razor.

You can't find your car keys. Where did they go? You're certain you left them on the table by the door. You positively know you did!

"Aliens from Alpha Centauri teleported down to Earth and swiped them!"

Ooops! You find your keys on the kitchen counter.

"A-ha! That crafty alien from Alpha Centauri put them there!"

Now, I am not saying that extraterrestrial life does not exist. Nor am I saying it exists, for our data on this issue is so limited that there's really little evidence either way. But to say "Wow! I'm surprised that stone age peoples could build such a thing! Must be aliens, because that's much more plausible than simply conceding that said people were simply more technologically capable than I would have thought!".

That's nonsense. There is no other way to put it.
The proof is in the pudding.l We know that the Egyptians built the pyramids, we have found their quarries, their tools, a written history about them building their monuments, etc. We have found this evidence in most every civilization who we thought were too primative to do what they did. With a few exceptions. Pumapunku being on of them. In order to make those blocks fit together with laser-like precision, so precise that you can't slide a piece of paper into the cracks between the blocks, would take an engineering feat that would certainly leave behind remnants of the processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events