Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Define "life". Everyone presumes it's advanced Aliens (speaking English, of course, 2 legs, two arms, one head) but "life" is a VERY stretchy word to interpret. A virus living off rock somewhere on Mars is "life".
Exactamundo.

Funny how everyone is gushing with excitement over some fantasmagoric alien being they envision from all the sci-fi movies they've seen, but alien life form can technically be anything from what you see on the movies, to something so simple and basic.

Like some bacteria or whatnot found on soil or rock, there's your alien life, whoop dee freaking doo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactamundo.

Funny how everyone is gushing with excitement over some fantasmagoric alien being they envision from all the sci-fi movies they've seen, but alien life form can technically be anything from what you see on the movies, to something so simple and basic.

Like some bacteria or whatnot found on soil or rock, there's your alien life, whoop dee freaking doo.

Your eye-roll is supremely ironic. You have a child-like view of what it would mean to discover extraterrestrial life in any form.

We have precisely one data point for a body containing life - Earth - and we cannot extrapolate anything from one data point. Were life to be discovered anywhere, even microbial life, it would be huge news and have huge implications. It appears that is completely lost on you because unless it looked like it something you might meet in a cantina on Tattooine, you're just bored to death by it.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:27 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
When was this? Do you have a (mainstream) article on it? That would've been huge and I don't remember it.
I'd have to find it, there was a press release, the guys at NASA were all sitting at a table and discussing the signs of microbes that they had found in martian rocks that were found around I believe Antartica. I'd have to google to see if I can rediscover those old tapes.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
This collection of hackers, is the only thing close to alien life.
I would argue that Wall Street resembled them as well.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I'd have to find it, there was a press release, the guys at NASA were all sitting at a table and discussing the signs of microbes that they had found in martian rocks that were found around I believe Antartica. I'd have to google to see if I can rediscover those old tapes.
It was very big news at the time. I can't imagine anyone with even a passing interest in science, and who didn't spend 1996 in a coma, missing it. A year later, scenes of President Clinton commenting on the matter were used in the film Contact, in which it was portrayed that he was speaking of the extraterrestrial message around which the film's plot revolves.

Note:
The claim in 1996 was that microscopic fossils in a meteorite from Mars may have had a biological origin. It has subsequently been determined - including by the very NASA team that presented the 1996 findings - that non-biological processes were the most likely causes of the fossils.

CNN - Ancient meteorite may point to life on Mars - Aug. 7, 1996

Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
Aliens. How is this really even a thread?

Anonymous trolls the internet. Classic.

Guess they are desperate for attention since they are irrelevant and feeling lonely in their moms basement.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Anonymous is a collective of hackers that have done some interesting things in the past. They generally (in my opinion) tell the truth with these sort of things...

This has had a lot of chatter around the web, and is starting to have teeth. What do you guys think?

Anonymous claims NASA on verge of announcing alien life | Daily Mail Online

Hope they bring some cures of diseases, that would be awesome!
The aliens taste like shrimp cocktail.
Is it ethical to eat them?

Old 06-26-2017, 09:24 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,382,148 times
I'm thinking extraterrestrial thermophiles...

Old 06-26-2017, 09:37 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is a hoax and anonymous will lose credibility for it. Aside from making some vague claim about the possibility of life based on fossils or conditions, the government would never admit to finding actual life, and certainly not intelligent life. To do so would undermine every government, religion, and every other powerful entity on earth.
To think that in the vastness of the universe Earth is the only planet with intelligent life is absurd. I don't think the admission of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe will cause a loss of credibility. If anything it would build trust and possibly cause people to come together when they realize there's a bigger threat to our survival than other humans. Think about it, if another life form is advanced enough to make it to Earth we're screwed.

Last edited by Spazkat9696; 06-26-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 12:10 AM

85 posts, read 79,332 times
I think the government has been in contact with aliens for a long time.

What if the gov't wants to come out about it now because they need to find out if the aliens can help us with Nibiru?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events